1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's heard Little Richard sing "Shake a Hand"?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Mar 30, 2018.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hard to remember or believe that a Gold Top cost $300. Inexpensive was never a Gibson trait. Isn't it strange that two American guitar manufacturers dominated the world of popular music for so many decades and still do? Seems strange to me, anyway. The Koreans and Japanese make fine instruments for very little money nowadays...but Fender and Gibson they ain't.

Slow tempo "ballads" sure aren't as popular as they were then. I wonder if today's best players could handle them as well? Well they sure don't, so maybe it's safe to say no? Or maybe my mind isn't grokking the last twenty years very well atm.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The Diamonds Little Darlin'

3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Ronettes Be My Baby Enhanced version

4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Richie Valens Donna

5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The Crystals Da Doo Run Run Phil Spector RIP?

Gawd I love this song.

Phil Spector, the producer of this amazing song and many more died from Covid-19 in prison yesterday. He was an unpleasant fellow and eventually a murderer. It's very difficult to hold both pictures in focus. He helped create some of the best music of the 20th century yet murdered an innocent young woman as an old fart.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  6. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I've checked, the Les Paul Standard is $2200 now. Makes me wish I'd bought that sunburst '63 a friend offered me in 1978. I was in college, a friend was hocking his stuff, and I was a bit short to buy it. He wanted $500. I had about $300, and was too shy to ask my family to help me buy such a non-essential item [even though they didn't know at the time I was playing a couple of times a week in blues clubs for pin money on a red Fender Jaguar I managed to make a deal for at a Bowery pawn shop.]

It was a weird guitar. One of the humbuckers was fu*ked, so I re-wired the thing myself because I didn't have the dough to buy a new pickup. It had a bit of a strange sound with the single humbucker and the two singles, but it sufficed. The best thing was that it had been well-played before I got it - it had the most sensitive, smooth maple neck I'd ever felt on a guitar.

I gave it away after I bought my first Stratocaster. Probably a mistake, but it was to a girl who had the most sensitive, smooth...lolz... ;)

That said, the Les Paul I **didn't** buy would be worth $10-15K now [although I owned two others later, neither of them were vintage guitars].

Oh well. The tragic errors of misspent [?] youth. :)

Nah, I wouldn't have done it any other way.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You were playing professionally when you were in college? Have to doff the hat in your direction once again!

And I don't know if a mere "Standard" would do. Such a plain Jane guitar. The thing maybe boils down to this? Fender and Gibson have different scale lengths. In other words the distance between the string's length from nut to bridge is different. Don't have the spec handy, sorry. Fender's is a bit longer, a fine guitarist I know pooh poohs Gibson's shorter length. He thinks that the longer string length of Fender makes all the difference in the world. Well, they sure as hell sound different. The difference has much to do with the different pickups, so I can't say that one scale length is a lot different than the other to the ear.

The fact is that Les Paul and Leo Fender had different ideas about scale length. And Les Pauls are MUCH easier to play than Strats. The strings feel like butter on a Les Paul, and things you have to subjugate to your will on a Strat or Tele.
    I'm exaggerating how hard Fenders are to play. The memory from fifty three years ago is that it was extremely easy to play my friend's Les Paul.

It's possible that the guitars I tried out featured different string gauges. Thin strings are easier to finger, but thicker ones make for a more robust sound.

I don't know if Gibson and Fender basses have different scale length. But I know that a Fender Precision Bass is the most recorded bass guitar sound in popular music history. Gibson's basses never sounded quite right to me. Iirc, Gibson manufactured the first bass guitars. But Leo Fender made his right.

I have three basses, but only one is a Fender. I chose a Jazz Bass over a Precision Bass, why? The Precision (Fender's first bass) sounds just right. However, the Jazz Bass has a neck to die for. So thin and easy to play. Sweet! J-Basses have a thinner more nasal tone. The holy grail would be a Precision Bass with a Jazz Bass neck. Afaik, don't think anyone tried to build one. So there must be an apple and orange reason for that. Sigh.

Speaking of cost, Fender's Standard American made Jazz Base cost about $1100 five years ago. A Mexican made one is far cheaper--however when you examine them closely the heavier hardware and attention to detail make the USA made bass a shoo in. For me anyway.

Mongo like to post about the subject of music, thank you for your posts!
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

James Taylor B.S.U.R.

10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Rick Beatto What Makes This Song Great? Number 80 Kansas

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  11. ThunderRd

Home page:
  12. ThunderRd

Home page:

13. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Well, if you call $35 a night [at best] professional, then yes. Wednesdays and Thursdays, 3 sets of 45 minutes, 10-1am.

It lasted about two years, I guess. Then I went to Asia and that was the end of my storied career as a performer - although I did play from time to time as a guest with friends for free when I was back in town.

The other thing I did 'professionally' at that time was play poker, and that was far more lucrative [although far less enjoyable]. You might say that playing music supported the poker.
  14. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I think that the point in time where everything went to shit for us is when we slipped into the delusion that we weren't monkeys after all, so we must be gods.

lets face it, that is something only a bunch of monkeys would do.
    Patti just came into this. She wants to point out that Science is still speaking as if weren't monkeys!

They talk about Covid jumping the animal/human barrier!

Pray tell, what barrier would that be?

The 2% difference in DNA that "separates" us from the apes?
    Or the 98% that we share in common with the other monkeys.

Vanity is a rather strange creature. She sees all of our virtues and none of our failings.
    And she never even blushes when she lies to us. ":O)

"Oh Daniel your just so smart!
    Here! have another banana!" LOL
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    ...A fathers heart...
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    How in hell did you escape becoming a disk jockey with a History of rock show!?
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    The version I grew up with...

18. Daniel~

Home page:
    clearly he loves his work. His work loves him.
  19. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Lolz, it's probably the only thing I'm adequate at on quiz night at the pub ;)
  20. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Rick's videos are excellent. Take some time and look through them for a lot of interesting insights. Last year he testified before Congress regarding intellectual property rights and how it applies to Internet videos on YouTube. His main opposition in the testimony was Don Henley, who sits on the other side of the fence. [The Eagles are extremely strict about using snippets of their recordings].

He's a very bright guy, and a fine musician and teacher as well.