1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different performance on Windows and Linux with same game on same hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by painkiller, Jan 3, 2022.

1. painkiller

painkiller New Member

I moved to Linux from Windows and my current distro is MX Linux, but i also have Windows 7 installed for dual boot, which i use mainly for installing games that won't run well on my MX Linux install. I have noticed that if i play the same game on Windows 7 and MX Linux the system load on MX Linux is always higher - the cpu temperature is always with about 10 degrees higher. Is there anything i can do or this is just bad nvidia drivers for linux? My laptop is HP Elitebook 8560w and video card nvidia quadro 1000M with legacy driver version 390.144.

Also, does Xorg settings got anything to do with cpu temperature or it is not related?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I typically use Desktop computers for my Linux gaming. This way I can have a dedicated video card and add fans if the system is over heating. Which can happen.
    In your case using an Elitebook there is always a case of insufficient ventilation. But as you mentioned Windows can play it better. This is the case with a lot of games made for Windows not Linux.

Which game are you testing in Linux?

As for drivers, we are at the mercy of Nvidia and what they provide for us. There is an open source driver for Geforce video cards, but any time I've used it, the performance is insufficient.

I've read there are system fan applications that run in Linux to make sure your system fan is cranking higher during gameplay to keep the heat down
  3. painkiller

painkiller New Member

With some games i don't get high cpu temperatures but with some, like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, the cpu temperatures goes to 90 degrees. I changed the cpu governor to 'conservative' and now the temperature still goes high but not that much. I guess this is normal for laptops. I don't know if i can get even better cpu temperatures if i could install vulkan, but unfortunately i can't because my video card is too old.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    If anything get a Laptop tray like one of these!
    https://www.amazon.com/TopMate-TM-2-10-15-6-Portable-1400RPM/dp/B01L8M215A
    They can help keep your CPU and GPU temps down while gaming.