1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Copies Games, Linux Mint

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by nutbolt, Dec 2, 2023.

1. nutbolt

nutbolt New Member

I am stuck on how to install games via hard copies. I see the ones to from GOG and Steam. Would someone guide me or lead me to a post that would get me started.
    -Baldurs Gate 2+exp
    -Icewind Dale 2
    -Diablo 2+ exp
    -Fable
    -Age of Empires gold
    and others

I read this post, but I'm new to Linux Mint
    http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/icewind-dale-2-guide.891/
    booman likes this.
  2. nutbolt

nutbolt New Member

Thank you for this website. I appreciate the hard work that has been put into it. It is a helpful tool.

I am slowly learning "Linux," "Wine," and "Playonlinux," it will take me time though. The guides I see are install by way of Steam and GOG, these are great. However, I want to play them offline and in the original form. The CD-ROM's I have are from my youth and ebay purchases.

There are a few videos on what PlayOnLinux is, but not many on how to use it. And of these are limited.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    It should be fairly simple to do it from physical copies. Your cd/dvd-rom should be available in Wine, and you should see it in the winecfg window. I haven't done an install from physical media for many many years so I don't remember if there's anything to be aware of, but it should be fairly similar to a regular install. You will obviously need to have the disc in the drive while you want to play the game.

Please note that the guide, along with many other guides, are fairly old. You are going to want to use a much newer wine version. Even using the "system" wine version should be fine as long as you are on the newest version of Linux mint, that will ensure your "system" wine version is fairly new. You also rarely need to install additional libraries anymore, as long as you are on a newer wine version. So chances are you do not need to install gdiplus as the guide says.

When it comes to selecting the install file to run, you only need to navigate to your install disc and find the correct file, usually setup.exe or something like that.
    booman likes this.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Daerandin is correct!
    Most Wine can install directly from CD ROM or DVD ROM

In the past I've had issues installing games from optical drives, so I would just copy the entire disk contents to a folder on the desktop, then install from there.

We have a few examples, but like Daerandin said these are old guides and there can be extra or missing steps

Diablo II
    https://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/diablo-ii-expansion-guide.217/

Fable: The Lost Chapters
    https://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/fable-the-lost-chapters-guide.167/

I'm pretty sure there is a guide for Battlefield 1942, Vietnam, BF2, Unreal Tournament 3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater and many others.

The cool thing is once you install the game and use a NO CD crack, then you don't need the disk in the drive any longer. I have copied the wineprefix to my other computers and even backed it up on my server. So I don't have to install from disk ever again.
    Daerandin likes this.
  5. nutbolt

nutbolt New Member

Thank you so much for the help. I have installed both Playonlinux and Lutris. And I look forward to play some good games.

(Currently I have been have an issue/error with PLayonlinux. But, for that issue I posted on Playonlinux forum).
    booman likes this.
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yes, PlayOnLinux may have some issues as it is no longer supported. I still use it, but sometimes it can be a pain downloading Wine versions and using the Graphical Interface