1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anno 1701: no keyboard/video crash

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by clockshell, Dec 8, 2014.

1. clockshell

clockshell New Member

Hi people!

First of all, my first post, hope it will be nice to meet you!

So I installed Anno 1701 from CD via the PoL installation script. So far so good. I needed to run it a couple of times until it worked but hell it is worth it.

I had startup problems: Resolution between desktop and game was not changing right and the mouse cursor did not get caught by the application. After I installed dxfullsetup it worked. I removed the installed DLLs again and it still works :confused: Don't ask me why...

Now I have two problems. First: the keyboard won't work. I tried to edit the Engine.ini entry
    Code:
    <Keyboard><m_KeyMap></m_KeyMap>
    </Keyboard>
    adding a "1" in between. No changes for the game. Strange thing: anytime I try to edit the file wine sets up a virtual drive which I deleted days ago :mad::confused:. This one has nothing to do with the Anno1701 drive?! Does this indicate my PoL is corrupted or something?
    Second problem is that my system crashes when a sequence is supposed to be played (went broke)...

I am new to Arch based distros but I changed to tty1, killed all wineserver process and tried to startx, command not found? Might it be xserver start? But that's just on the side I might be able to find that out myself ;)

Have a nice one!
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    The problem with wine setting up a virtual drive when you try to edit that file is probably caused by preferred applications being messed up a little by PlayOnLinux. I have experienced the same with some wine versions from PlayOnLinux, and I don't know what is causing it. If you right click the file, you will probably notice that the default open is probably some application in wine.

To get rid of this, go to ~/.local/share/applications/

Here you may want to delete all the wine extension files, which will completely remove this from happening when you open a file. Another way would simply be to change the default application that the file manager want to open certain files with.

I am not perfectly sure about your keyboard issue, but I have sometimes experienced problem in games in wine, where I have to Alt-Tab to switch focus to another window, and then Alt-Tab back to the game and then the keyboard works.

If startx command is not found, it probably means you have not installed the xorg-xinit package. It is not required for all desktop environments and login managers.
  3. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I should note that WINE has a bad habit of recreating the menus in that area that Daerandin mentioned. You have to disable the menu builder (usually POL does this by default). Further reading about disabling it here .

Not at all. There's no data loss if your WINE updates your bottle.

Code:
    After I installed dxfullsetup it worked. I removed the installed DLLs again and it still works :confused: Don't ask me why...
    This is because WINE has its own built-in implementations of directX DLLs. There's a high chance they weren't set explicitly to native thus it's why WINE never complained since it was using its own. If you were to set it to native then it would have complained about the missing DLL.

However, I'm receiving too many different types of messages from your post so please give us a bit more information.

Usually if you install with POL then you launch with POL launcher since it has created the shortcut script with all the things the application needs to run. Did you launch the game through POL or did you run it with a plain WINE command in your terminal? Sorry to ask, it just that your message is leaving out all the steps you did and it's really hard for me to guess where did things go wrong. If you read your message it all makes sense to you, but I can't say the same. :(
  4. clockshell

clockshell New Member

Sorry, I did not intend to confuse anybody. The problem has been fixed already. Maybe it was distribution related. I messed up my Antergos machine and felt like switching back to Manjaro.
    I installed Anno 1701 again (PoL, provided script) and got an error during the first run which lead to installation abort (claimed installation process is already running).
    On the second run there were no problems, yet an error message at the end (backtrace.txt attached). The game took around 7 minutes on the first start. I already read that this is an issue. Keyboard works without problems now.

Attached Files: