1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of questions

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by rolandttg, Aug 4, 2013.

1. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

In Playonlinux when the debug is used it may list a lot of "fix me". Is there a guide to tell what they mean?
    Sometimes I get a game to run. I exit from the game to Mint desktop, but I only get a quarter top left of it. I can cntrl alt backspace and relog on. And all is well. What is happening so that I can fix it?
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    A lot of Windows games change the screen resolution but don't properly restore it when they are done. To resolve this, you can tell wine to simulate a desktop, which will run the game in its own dedicated window.
    Robbie and booman like this.
  3. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

Gizmo, your suggestion so far is working in Dawn Of War. Thank you.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yes, Virtual Desktop is the way to go. I have been using it for most games because of this exact reason.
    So many times I have to re-set the desktop resolution because the game changed it and then didn't change it back.
    Virtual Desktop does not seem to affect performance in any way!
    And it will automatically resize when changing in-game resolutions.
    So I usually set it by default at: 1024x768
    Robbie likes this.
  5. rolandttg

rolandttg Member

Thank you guys! So far working better. But the game crashed a couple of times with the virtual desktop. So, I disabled and it ran without it. Then I re-enabled virtual desktop and it worked again. This saved me a lot of trouble with troubleshooting and reinstall. Yippee!
    Now, to work on why the game sometimes runs slow. That is when I have a lot of units.
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Awesome, at least its working. So far I have mostly tested my games and rarely playing the whole game.
    The one game I played from beginning to end is Hard Reset. It actually ran really well, no slowdowns and hardly any artifacts.
    There were a few texture problems, but restarting the game would fix it.
    Normally I play each test a few hours just to make sure everything is working. But I have read on WineHQ that some games crash later on or at a specific point in the game.
    So no test is perfect, but running the game initially is a good start.
    Keep trying and tweaking... make sure to post on WineHQ your problems and read up to see if other people have fixes.
    Always try newer versions of Wine as they are released too.

I found that the older the game, the better it runs.
    This last weekend I was trying to run the original Turok on my Chromebook (Intel HD 2000 GPU) and it runs but most of the graphics are missing. I tried everything and still got the same result. Probably a limitation of my GPU or Turok was never made for OpenGL.... its an old game though, you would think just a CPU could run it...