1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 BGF Guide?

Discussion in 'Games' started by booman, Apr 9, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Doom 3 BGF now has native Linux source code available on Git and apparently can run in Linux just fine.
    RobertBeckebans RBDoom 3 BFG

Does anyone want to donate/purchase Doom 3 BFG $20.00 ($15.99 on Amazon) for me so I can do a guide?
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Thank you for the link Booman but for me this is a dilemma.

I had already Doom 3 working natively very well on Linux (it had an audio problem, but a command line trick found on the Net fixed that nicely).

Than I found out that the BFG edition ran flawlessly with PlayOnLinux, allowing me to enjoy an enhanced version of Doom 3 and simultaneously taking me back in time with Doom and Doom II (great memories).

The dilemma is: do I really need a native version of a game that works so well with POL that I couldn't possibly see an improved performance?
  3. booman

Home page:
    Your concern is totally legitimate. Wine has been really good lately and it just seems redundant to use Wine and Native binaries for the same game. The decision is totally yours of course.

In the case of a game not working in Wine, then obviously the Linux binaries are another option.
    I found that native games just run better with less "tweaking" and less "headaches"
    Recently I have run into pulseaudio problems in PlayOnLinux. It is really killing my gaming experience and game tests.
    Almost every native game I've run: Quake Wars, Quake 4 and Jedi Outcast, Wakfu, Brutal Legend, Portal, Portal 2, Left4Dead 2, Costume Quest, Drox Operative, Ravensword... and a few others I can't remember.

So there are some benefits to running the game natively, but if Wine is working for you, don't change a thing. Its really on a "need" basis.
  4. booman

Home page: