1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get ready to shit yourselves: The future of linux compatibility.

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Aremis, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    But you still need a copy of Windows
    I already have copies of Windows 7 and Windows 8, but my goal is to migrate away from Windows completely one day.
    I have 6 gaming computers for LAN parties and I would love to put them all on Linux and never give Microsoft another penny.
    So this option wouldn't work well for me...
    But...
    I am running Linux Mint 17.2 at work and Windows 7 in VirtualBox
    I'm not playing games, but this may help some of my performance issues.

This option could also be good for game developers who need to test something in Windows
  3. Aremis

Aremis Member

Heres the thing. With Windows in a VM you can manage what connects and what you connect to rather easily. I see this as a better possibility.
  4. booman

Home page:
    I like the sound of that, but what I'm tired of is KEY's, Anti Virus, Driver issues, KEY's, Licenses... did I already write KEY's?
    I have to mess with Microsoft stuff all day in IT
    Keeping track of which Office Keys and which Windows Keys go where and to whom. It wears you out.
    I actually had to downgrade all of our employees to Office 2003 because we didn't have enough 2007 keys for the number of installations. I'll never have to do that with Libre Office or Linux.

If I ever virtualize at home, it won't be for gaming, but a temporary need to test something, extract files, install something one time. That is about it.

I was dual booting to Win7 to use my scanner, but Daerandin even helped me get my scanner working in Linux.
    Practically everything is working in Linux as good as Windows or better. With Wine of course!

My wife still uses Win7 to edit photography in Photoshop Elements. The single reason is because of "actions"
    If GIMP ever supports Photoshop Actions then I could probably get her away from Photoshop.
    Thats it! Even Netflix works in Linux.
  5. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    If it requires Windows then I don't see this as a step forward. You are still running the game on Windows, which means you are still dependent on Windows and not self contained with just Linux. For a lot of people this probably does not mean anything, but personally I have made it a point to not use Windows for any of my private needs.
    Aremis likes this.
  6. booman

Home page:
    But you know gamers against Wine would say we were technically running Windows with Wine as well...
    "Technically" :p
    Wine needs to use Windows processes in order to play games, but I feel a lot safer with Wine than running Windows in VM. At least I don't have to install Windows, update and setup security steps with Wine.
    Updating alone takes HOURS
  7. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Take a look at gallium nine... less jumping through hoops

You would also need WINE with gallium nine support and use mesa drivers I believe

No windows required, pure libre. Granted, I haven't used it myself... too lazy to tinker with it. I got tired of distro hopping and tinkering. :( plus I've been working on an application for the past three months I don't dare to format right now.
  8. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    But Wine does not requires a Windows license
  9. Aremis

Aremis Member

The thing this would do for me is that I 1) never have to dual boot again, and 2) can control all of the ping-outs windows wants to make.

If I could still use windows XP I would a happy little shitmonger. Sadly I can't because of hardware. If anything, I would want to have an XP VM running all the time if it were possible to be useful. I agree I would love to have wine or even native ports, and with DX11 and 10 support running up to wine and making babies with it (after 3 freaking years) and the support finally being there I have to wonder if this VM stuff is going to be all that applicable after all.

Also that Gallium stuff looks cool; too bad I'm an all AMD user :p