1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get your Blizzard game patch notes from the command line

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by allenskd, Mar 14, 2014.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Hey guys, a while ago I finished scripting this for fun. Just copy/paste, follow the instructions and run it :)

https://gist.github.com/allenskd/9541102

Usage example:

Enjoy, let me know if you have any questions. Remember to save the file ending with .py
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I would like to make a suggestion regarding the very first line. /usr/bin/python might mean a different thing depending on what distro it runs on. Most distros have Python 2 named simply as python on the system, while a few other distros have adopted Python 3 as the default python. This could cause issues on some distros.

If you instead change it to

Code:
    #! /usr/bin/env python2
    then it specifically calls Python 2 no matter what the distro chooses to use as default Python package.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    What are these patch notes for?
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I know, thanks for the suggestion. In the end I left it like the first line because /usr/bin/python whilst just a link still uses python2.7 primarily on many distributions and python 3 is left installed but not as default. Not many distributions ships Python 3 which is an assumption I made at the end. Python 3 being a few years old now is still on that stage where legacy code has to be ported over. I wouldn't think hard on it to be honest, but the suggestion is still appreciated :)

Unrelated: The WINE-related project I mentioned a couple of weeks back will be fully Python 3 only (it will set a virtualenv automatically just to be on the safe side). No reason to go back to Python 2.x, the only way is to move forward :]
  5. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

They aren't patch notes, you grab patchnotes with the tool without needing to open the browser or battlenet client :)
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    Just thought I would mention it in case some people encounter issues with that. Arch and all Arch based distros use Python 3 as default python package, so users of those distributions would need to change the first line in the script.

Glad to hear your other project will by Python 3. I began with Python 3, so I should be able to help out with the coding if you'd like some help.
  7. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Oh yea I added your line Daerandin :) doesn't hurt one bit haha. That and a clarification about the pip package on other distros (python-pip)
  8. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Hey Daerandin can I contact you related to the WINE project? no compromise of course. I need to see if I can get a pair of eyes on this.
  9. Daerandin

Home page:
    Of course you can. I might not have much time to delve into the code today, but I'll make time during the weekend.