1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :-) and about game trainers

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by gamesrule, Apr 5, 2018.

1. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

Hello and may I first say a huge thank you for the Guides. I came over to Linux last May and never expected to be able to play any favourite larger games. I love shooting/sniping games, as well as hidden object and time management ... to be able to run the large games by using Guides here, I am more than grateful, plus it helped me to understand POL and install the other kinds of games also.

One difficulty I have is that I don't know how to install a trainer. I've tried copying over the trainer into POL's game folder, the same folder that contains the game's main exe, but it seems not to register. (Mint Mate 18.3).
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thank you for confirming our guides actually work!

Honestly I don't use Trainers and stay away from No CD Cracked executables. The only time I've used them is with a game that just didn't work in Wine because of the DRM or Client update that broke it. And because I already own the game.

What game are you trying to play?
    gamesrule likes this.
  3. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

Thank you for response. :) I enjoy shooters, but am not over-good at staying alive in them, lol, so like to try to use a trainer. I own both Metro games via GOG. Installed the first, from what I've learnt here (thank you again) ... that's the one proving a bit tough, 2033.

I did this to install Metro 2033:
    win7/32-bit/wine 3.4
    dx 9/10/11
    physx
    visual C++ (2008/10)
    (i7/16ram/radeon r9 255/mesa 17.2.8/kernel 4.15.0-13)
  4. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

Oops, sorry, I've checked and, yes, I own the GOG and Stream versions, but I prefer not to use Steam, so did as you described you do. Got mixed up; ill health, so got confused between games, as I have quite a few installed. I've tried every which way about a trainer, including even the dumb move of running a trainer as administrator, then realising that probably wasn't safe, lol.
  5. booman

Home page:
    No problem.
    I own both Metro games on GOG as well.
    They are on my "to do" list for new guides, so I'll eventually get them running.

Can you adjust the difficulty setting in Metro instead of a Trainer?
    gamesrule likes this.
  6. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

Thanks Booman, and that's great news! :) I need a super-baby level, but will make sure it's on the lowest possible and show those critters who's boss, lol.
  7. booman

Home page:
    I didn't realize that what Trainers did. I wonder how they work?
    I've never tried using a trainer in Wine but I have used no-cd cracks and they worked fine.
    I'm not supposed to encourage using those, but some DRM games refuse to run in Wine and that is the only work-around.
  8. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

Trainers can be so useful; used them all the time before coming over to Linux ... prefer to just relax and enjoy the graphics and game, instead of dying all the time, lol, plus some games are a bit tough even on the easiest level. God-mode, all ammo, no reload, etc, makes a big difference. Sometimes games would have an inbuilt console, and you can just press tilde then type the relevant code eg 'god', etc.

I understand about not encouraging that, but, yes, if games have been (double) purchased and there really isn't any other way, I think it's okay.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

God-mode, infinite reloads, cheat codes. Couldn't have done it without them. Me a lame gamer. It's always something.
  10. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

I know, cloasters ... it's a lot of fun to just play, and enjoy the great visuals etc, without worrying about dying and redoing things. :)
  11. booman

Home page:
    Let me know if you need help with a specific game in PlayOnLinux/Wine
    gamesrule likes this.
  12. gamesrule

gamesrule Member

Thank you very much, Booman. Very kind. :)