1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Gizmo, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm seeing this error message pop up every time I open PlayOnLinux. This apparently is a known issue. However, I didn't run into it until I upgraded to Fedora 20 Heisenbug yesterday (it worked fine on Fedora 19 Schrodinger's Cat).

According to several sources on the web, it is caused by the new version of libpng.so actually checking the PNG files and popping a warning when they have an incorrect sRGB profile specified in the file header. Evidently, POL uses a number of PNGs which suffer from this problem (why POL haven't fixed this yet is a topic for another discussion).

Anyway, the message is just a warning, and POL will continue working just fine. The message is, however, annoying. To get rid of it, simply do the following:

Code:
    su
    cd /usr/share/playonlinux/
    for i in `find . | grep .png`; do convert "$i" -strip "$i"; done;

The above code should work for pretty much any linux distro with POL installed, provided you ALSO have ImageMagick installed (convert is part of the ImageMagick suite of tools). On Fedora 20, it is already installed by default. I lifted the above code from here, which has some other interesting info.
  2. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I had that same error in qbittorrent; I filed a bug there and a fix came fairly quickly. In my research I found there are many apps which suffer from it since the libpng update.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I first encountered this quite some time ago. I also get this warning whenever I start VirtualBox from terminal.

I believe imagemagick is a dependency of PoL, at last it is so in Arch repos, so I think anyone that have PoL installed will also have imagemagick installed.

I recall having read that PoL devs stated this would be fixed in the next release.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Since we are mentioning PNG's has anyone tried to figure out the stinking PNG error when clicking the Steam icon in PlayOnlinux?
    corrupt_png.png
    I've seen threads in the PlayOnLinux forums about it, but no permanent fixes have been applied yet.
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    For some reason, I don't get that warning message when I install steam as I do in my guides, by using the steam library in PoL. If I install it any other way, then I get that warning. And I have no idea what might be causing it.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Interesting, so maybe the POL Devs have fixed the problem. I almost never install Steam from Install Packages or scripts. It breaks the flow of my guides because PlayOnLinux won't automatially start the shortcut prompt. Unfortunately the way I install Steam the stinking -no-dwrite breaks the flow too.

I have a feeling Steam is always going to have a problem with Wine. There are mostly work-arounds, but that last update was a real handi-cap since no other version of Wine will work besides 1.7.8
  7. booman

Home page:
    I just tried installing Steam from the PlayOnLinux scripts and it automatically starts installing Wine 1.5.25
    Hello! Nothing before 1.7.8 will work with Steam...
    This is the common problem with Scripts is they don't get updated!
    Scrap that idea :mad:
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    I don't think anyone is maintaining the Steam script on PoL. Anyway, what I was talking about was the POL_Install_steam library that you can select among libraries.

Scripts work well as long as somebody maintains them. However, I much more believe in the idea of showing people how it is done, so if at some point in the future a guide is not updated to reflect some required changes, at least all the previous steps are still easily read by anyone reading the guide, and it will be easier to make any newly required changes during the installation procedure.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Yes, I actually tried POL_Install_Steam and you are right, the PNG error doesn't appear.

I couldn't agree more! Maybe some day PlayOnLinux will have a paid staff who can update those old scripts on a regular basis, but until that happens, our readers will know the basics of installing a game on their own and will have knowledge of the libraries and backend.

With 67 guides and counting, I know we are achieving exactly that!
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    The warning message about "iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile" does not appear for me anymore with the new PoL version.
  11. booman

Home page:
    I actually just noticed that!!!
    Now I can still install Steam the same way and not have that bug anymore.
    I'll remove it from my Guides.