1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mint users BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by Daniel~, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It was bound to happen sooner or later!Mint update TOTALED my system!

Lucky it was a single update! I was something about the kernel, can't recall beyond that.It downloaded the file as per usual and then started
    installing the update. After a half hour as it it froze. I left it to itself for three hours and it made no further progress.
    So I tried to close update, couldn't, I tried to reboot, couldn't.

Mint posted a message to my screen to small to read. I hit the power button. iy wouldn't stay tuerned off, kept restarting.

No boot screen! I've never even heard of of software removing the boot screen, could not reach BIOS!!!

Then the great spirit of computing failure spoke to me!

I powered off and disconnected my hard drive, leaving only my
    DVD with cloneZillia on it. CloneZilla came up, I hot connected my drive again and did a restore.

All is right with me once more.

Watch Mint update closely for the next week or to, don't install anything with the word kernel in it. I'm sure mint is hard at work on this now
    FYI
    I've used mint for around 7 years, never had an update screw me before,,,Never!! Not even a little. So tread carefully the world is in change! ":O}
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hmm, could be the kernel update, or maybe the updater its-self crashed?

Watch for Grub updates too. Grub is the boot loader, specially if you have dual-boot with Windows. You will see Grub boot screen every time you turn on the computer.

I applied the newest kernel update to most of my computers and no major problems yet....
    The only problems I'm having recently is sleep/hibernation. I have two computers that will sleep, but upon waking them, things start going weird. Specially playing games. I've had some really bad crashes that literally turn the whole computer off right in the middle of the game.

One thing you can do, if you see the Mint icon during boot process... press ESC and you will see the whole boot process.
    You can see errors, filesystem checks and other things that might be going wrong.
  3. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Cool beans duder! I'm going to monitor my boot up screen! Thanks Boo!