1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No secret I like to play with new destros...but sometimes...!!!

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Daniel~, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I just spend my entire day learning how to set up Mint KED, After rejoicing in Mint !5 ubuntu and Mint Debian...I though for sure Mint KDE would be winner, what a disappointment!!

I hate the menu, it's small and cramped you have scroll the first tier just to see the main headings and you have open everything to find what you need...then remember where it was!! I'm posting a Mint 15 menu so you know what I think a real Man's menu should look like! ":O}

KDE tries the cram all that you see in the posted pic into a area one quarter the size...by extensive use off secondary menus. that aren't at all quick or easy to access!

But that's just a small complain compared to how they deal with multi-desktops!!
    First you have to find a key assigner, then you have to assign a mouse key (they may have a key assigner for my keyboard somewhere, but I couldn't find it!

Then you have to click the assigned mouse key to bring up a fixed set of 4 desktop choices, pick one and click upon it... There's a nasty catch to this...you have to have a bit of clear desktop to click on! The joy of having 4 or 8 or whatever number I wish of desktops is that I can fully open them, and switch at the speed of convenience between them as I wish.

Debain and Ubuntu mint both have a magic corner you can throw your cursor into so you can see all your dektops at once and just click on the image you need, or a key combo that does the same thing, or if you know where you want to go a box of 1234 numbers you can click on...in short it quick it's easy and you can act almost without thought.

None of this is true of Mint KDE! I have to recommend against KDE in favor of the far more user friendly Mints that bring delight to me every day as I use them.

I felt very claustrophobic in KDE and ran to Mint 15 to write my complaints.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel~

Home page:
    I thought I might have been a little hard on Mint KDE so I went back and took a picture of the Menu so you might be the judge

I include the Systems Setting sheet of options as to be honest it does include a rather extensive and in depth set of options for those who like (I as I actually do at times) to tweak their own desktops into shape.

I will be working with KED to see if I can persuade myself to a better opinion than my first impressions lead me to.

Attached Files:

3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Odd, that's not AT ALL like KDE on Fedora, which is what I'm using. When I have a moment, I'll post some pics.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm just getting Fedora up as I type! ":O}
    Nope, they are very different beasts at lest in their skins even if their hearts beat to the same drum! ":O}

Getting a picture of fedora with all her clothes on was a bit tricky! LOL

Attached Files:

5. Daniel~

Home page:
    I see in System software that F-19 comes with a boat load of software for a Mint Mate conversion, will replace The horrid KDE on my other 90 GB drive and try it...alas no Cinnamon...Damn!! ":O}

How some ever I'll be keeping F-19...I'm really pretty impressed with her. She does KED, Genome and Mate installs as well as her straight up Fedora.I haven't found a quick and easy way to install navidia yet.

If I do find one in Mate, this could be the start of our rapprochement, we separated back when I was seduce by Mint 13.
  6. Gizmo

Home page:
    That's not KDE in your screen-shot, that's Gnome3
  7. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Strange how KDE handles multiple desktops.
    I've always used Ctrl+Alt+ArrowKey to switch the next desktop.
    That works in any distro so far.

In OSX you just have to press F8 and it opens your desktops, pretty simple there
    Windows? Um not desktops natively but Windows 8 have an app switcher that moves multiple fullscreen apps back-n-forth. Kinda like desktops
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    My Bad! I told you I was only young in F-19! ":O} I don't much care for the Mate-Gnome hybread, just a few Mate apps and a few Mate icones on the desk top. If I was stuck with Gnome three I suppose I'd want them...I supose...
    ( note the lack of excitement.":O}
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    I installed a mess of KDE stuff from "software", but don't really see a difference other than some new apps. Do you have to select KDE when you first install or what ??

Do I need a different download version of the Fedora software??
  10. Gizmo

Home page:
    When you install, Fedora automatically installs G3. If you want KDE, you have to install the KDE stuff, and then you essentially end up with two Desktop Environments. At that point, when you login you will be asked to select which one you want (it should show up as an option under where you type in your password)
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    AH! I didn't see it because I use auto login!, I'll take a look.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    HOLY SMOKES!

Fedora does Cinnamon, no files to add just pick the session and it gives you Straight up Cinnamon!
    (OK maybe you want to add files later), but well here it is! Some new apps in the menu. but the menus and tool bars are all Cinnamon!

Another best part is that is saved my personal setup, E-mail, browser favs, weather in the bottom panel of my browser that sort of thing! Wonder how it will handle POL and games!?

This is going to be fun! Every thing a Destro freak could wish for! LOL

Thanks Gizmo! This is scary good!

Attached Files:

13. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm going to go set my "Other" Fedora drive up in "Gizmo KDE":O}
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    I was wrong, as you no doubt know Gizmo! I must have gotten Cinnamon by adding Mate early on, though I did remove it. I did need to add KED in System Software to get a selection at boot up where I sighn in.