1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA 334.16 Beta is out

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by allenskd, Feb 9, 2014.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I've been using NVIDIA 331.38 which has been pretty stable, plus it solved a lot of problems for me with KWin effects (CPU hogging).

Download here (use at your own risk, it's a beta build)

Anyway, here's the list of changes

Hmm, I'll give it a try today. I don't expect it to give me a better Guild Wars 2 experience (WINE adds to the complexity).
  2. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Updated my drivers to the beta... it's pretty stable. It solved an issue I had with Dust: An Elysian Tail, sometimes the game would get a little... teary when I fought enemies using Dust Storm.

I'm using Linux Mint 16 64 bits
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thanks for the update on Nvidia drivers and the link.
    Sadly Mint doesn't do a very good job at helping me install newer version of Nvidia drivers.
    Everywhere I read its suggested to Not install manually, but use PPA and software isntaller.
    But the Mint software installer won't install anything newer than 319
    For now I'm waiting on some easy instructions for Ubuntu 13.10 Saucey, or I'll just wait until Mint 17 is out.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Probably I am missing something, but what do you mean by softer installer?

It has been a couple of years since I last used a PPA to install the Nvidia driver, but from what I remember once the repository was added getting the new version was automatic, via the graphical Update Manager or after an apt-get upgrade on the terminal.
  5. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Well, to be honest it's not really that hard to install NVIDIA drivers. I found the NVIDIA installer by linux mint to be really annoying.

So what happens if you remove nouveau and fails to install NVIDIA? nothing, X.org will fallback to some crappy driver.
  6. booman

Home page:
    That is a good question, I have no idea. I have a feeling you would get an error at boot and there would be no fallback.
    For most users that won't work. They will have no idea what to do.

In the past I have manually installed drivers in Fedora and it was a pain. Took a few tries, but eventually worked.
    The nice thing about Mint is you can install drivers with just a few mouse clicks. No terminal, no downloads...
    But as you see it limits you to the stable version allowed by Mint.

I have been on Nivida 309 for a long time in Mint 14 and rarely had problems. I know it was old, but it was very stable.
    Now I'm on Mint 16 and finally have Nvidia 319 and it seems pretty dang stable as well.
    Then again I'm mostly using PlayOnLinux so its hard to tell if Wine is causing problems or Nvidia drivers.

Anyways, Mint users are at the mercy of the devs and updates. If a newer version of Nvidia is available after updating then we can install. If not, then we have to wait for Mint 17. I have to admit, stable is not a bad place to be in.
  7. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    There is a fallback driver called vesa which should work on pretty much all hardware. However, I do not know what distros use it, although I would think that most distros have it installed.
  8. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Searching the web a little I found this Mint page, which links to this Ask Ubuntu tutorial.
    This way has always worked on my PCs.

However, if you are worried about the possibility of screwing up your system, I suggest you clone your root partition with a Clonezilla live cd, just to be safe.
  9. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Hmmm... not exactly. I'm using linux mint and I'm using this beta driver right now; I agree that stability is important. I do understand that people would feel uneasy about breaking their systems. I have broken mine when I used Ubuntu 4.10 upgrading to 6.10. Arch Linux has also broken my system with some of their updates, although that was years back.... I don't know how stable their packages are now.

All I would say is only do upgrades if you see comfortable using the terminal and know your way around. If you want I could write a little how-to, but like I said. Only do it if you are comfortable.
  10. booman

Home page:
    I am totally comfortable trying it out. My Mint system is mostly for testing. I know how to backup my save games anyways.
    So worst case I have to re-install Mint 16.

I would love a short tutorial and I'll stickie it here in the forum.
    Can you do screenshots for the newer users too?
  11. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Hey booman, I did a little guide, if you have any doubts let me know. By the way you don't really have to format your PC :) you can always install nouveau drivers back, but like Daerandin said, even if you fail to install the NVIDIA drivers there will be a fallback and you get to keep your GUI.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Stickied!
    Thanks a lot for your help. I will try it this weekend.

By chance, do you play any games?
    We would love to have more PlayOnLinux guides
  13. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I do play games :) Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight 2, etc.

I'm not interested in writing PoL guides, sorry. I want to focus on things like WINE audio issues and things that could improve your gaming experience in linux.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Either way, anything Linux related would bring readers to our site.
    I know most of your guides are on your Blog, but let me know if you want to do Guides for us.
    We can make a Linux Guides Section or even something more specific. Then your Guides will appear on the front page.
  15. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Lastest 334.21 nvidia drivers show more fps performance than 334.16 on my case

I leave this comparations

Assassins Creed Brotherhood Multiplayer (this title specially on multiplayer runs very slow before 334.21 drivers)

Before 334.21

Now with 334.21

Dead Rising 2

Before 334.21

Now with 334.21

:)
  16. mrdeathjr28

And this with other titles

FarCry 3

Before 334.21

Now with 334.21

Shadow Warrior 2013

Before 334.21

Now with 334.21

17. mrdeathjr28

and almost forget this test

Test Drive Unlimited 2 0.97 + DLCs

Before 334.21

Now with 334.21

18. booman

Home page:
    Thanks mrdeathjr28 for posting your progress with Nvidia drivers.
    I have subscribed to your youtube channel. Its awesome seeing newer games run in Linux.
    What kind of hardware are you using?
  19. mrdeathjr28

Hi

If you use newer games and this is based on DX9, this titles have many chances for work

But some things cause troubles still have DX9 as: gfwl (red faction guerrilla, F1 2010-2011, Resident Evil 5 and others), software protections (securom, star force and others)

MPEG video sequences support (Blood rayne 1-2, Resident Evil 4, Chaos Legion and others)

Mouse movement correct support on fullscreen on many games is needed using on windowed mode (thanks for tip
    booman is very usefull) for prevent 360 degrees mouse movement error (Batman Arkham Asylum, Frontlines Fuel at War, FarCry 3, F.E.A.R 3 and others)

And other things as bug lantern on alan wake, or key presses and movement on crysis 1 not patched: once on game if you dont touch any key or dont move mouse gamework about 1 or 3 minutes max on my case, after this game crash

20. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, we are finding that PlayOnLinux (Wine) has a lot of great compatibilitiy, but there are still a few games that just cause issues.
    For example: I installed Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and it just doesn't want to run. I have yet to find anything in Wine or PlayOnLinux that will run it, but I did fine a native port on GIT