1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revisiting PHP

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by allenskd, Sep 21, 2014.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I should add that I don't mean any attacks to the PHP community, if you love it then so be it. Just throwing it out there in case someone gets offended.

I haven't used PHP in like 3-4 years. I thought myself, "hey, we are doing really well adapting with Vim and this tmux combination is a BLISS. Why don't we pick up PHP 5 and get the old time feels back".

So I installed PHP5, to my surprise they got with times and now they have a package manager, sort of like a mix of pip, maven, etc where you put the libraries you need and the autoload, etc.

I've been using python/django as my go to solutions for web development. I only use PHP if the client is cheap; I'll pick whatever framework I can to get started quickly. It's business as usual, create a CRUD application and be done with it.

Now, going back to it is where I realized that python, java, and other languages do so much right. Maybe not Java, let's say Groovy/Grails for the sake of not going into a mundane argument. I feel that I'm spending too much time trying to deal with arrays, dealing with some weird overly-engineered interfaces (hello, Zend Framework) that seems to be aimed at many "enterprise" problems.

Bleh, I actually hoped that PHP had gotten better but... I don't know. I can no longer feel like it's a viable option (for me). I think I get things way faster using python.

Additional notes for vim:

It's been going pretty neatly. I was sort of tempted to go with Emacs + Evil-mode due to having more "up-to-date" packages, but eh... as long as C++ semantic completion works I'm all good, python with virtualenv? that would be ice cream on top (I had problems with virtualenv)

CtrlP, NerdTree, surround, Sauce, and some other plugins got my back. A dot will save you many strokes, they say.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hey Mr coder! I'm sure it was still a learning experience because you got to see the current condition of PHP.
    If anything, it confirms that Python is more productive.
    That's all I have to offer as a amateur coder.