1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Bridge (Windows games & Wine?)

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Feb 25, 2014.

• by booman, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Bridge Windows games with Wine in the native Linux Steam:
    SteamBridge

This sounds exactly like PlayOnLinux & Crossover front end for Wine...
    But can they make up for lost time that PlayOnLinux has already proven successful?

Its a great idea, but they admit there isn't full permission from Valve and may affect your account & games if Valve decides to kill it.

Its sounds like a great idea... Launching Windows games with LinSteam but behind the scenes its using Wine.
    Might as well give it a try... Just create a new Steam account and try it with some free-to-play games just in case Valve want's nothing to do with it.
    NobodyDoug likes this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Feb 25, 2014.

1. allenskd
    Sounds way.... too risky with the DLL tampering alone. I like it.. but I rather valve tells us if it's permitted...
  2. booman
    We'll see in time. As Wine improves I can see all games running in Linux perfectly... but the question is: How long will that take?
    Since Valve is dedicated to Linux development, maybe they will find some solutions for their Windows games...
    Might as well, then more gamers will move to Linux when their whole list of games are available.
  3. NobodyDoug
    This is a great idea, hope Valve aprove it. For now, I will not take the risk.
  4. booman
    Agreed, I'll watch and see if it develops into something useful.
    Until then, I'm all PlayOnLinux
  5. rolandttg
    I it is a great idea! How would it get a banned account?
  6. booman
    Not sure exactly, but if you modify Steam libraries, you could probably put malicious code in them and hack Steam. So its not a good idea to do it without Valve's permission
  7. rolandttg
    Thanks booman!