1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam questions

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Kladiator, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

I can't comment on this guide because I don't own the game (I like mostly FPS and racing games) but I need to ask you a most likely noobish question regarding Steam on Playonlinux.
    I noticed on your list of games installed on POL Crysis and RAW on two different Steam prefixes; if you hypothetically owned 20 Steam games could you have 20 separate virtual drives running 20 virtual installations of Steam?
    Would Valve think that you have 20 different computers or that you are sharing the games with other people? Is this situation OK with them?
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but until Valve started supporting Linux I never bought anything from them.
    Than you.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I moved your post here in the PlayOnLinux thread.

Sadly most Steam games still do not play in Linux environment.
    So Yes, you would have to install Steam for every game in a new virtual drive.
    The reason is because Each game has dependencies like Windows DLL's (libraries) and OS settings.
    If you tried to run all of your WinSteam games in one virtual drive, some will probably not work.

The only exception is all the Source games. Any game or mod made with the Source Engine can be run in the same virtual drive because they have the same requirements.
    I have successfully run Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, The Ship and other games from Steam in a single virtual drive.

I'm afraid this will be indefinite because there are soooooo many Windows games in Steam and I doubt developers will port them all to Linux. So I'll always run a WinSteam and LinSteam on the same computer.
  3. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Thank you Booman, that was fast.
    So you don't think that Valve is bothered by the fact that someone is apparently registering from (potentially) dozens of different computers?
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have a feeling their database see's it as one computer and one IP address.
    But its a valid question.
    I have noticed on my windows computers that when log into a new computer, Steam asks me to authenticate that computer and add it to a trusted list of computers.
    It never does this in PlayOnLinux.
    So I'm guessing it basically sees it as a re-install on the same computer.