1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The trailing edge of the spear

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    This has become the most troublesome nagging,obstructing moves of our lives.
    When one looks at our new used trailer and how little it can contain, lets just say it's entire contents can easily fit in the back of a pick up truck.

One would think a we did this is going to be easy!

But then one must look at the mountain of accumulation that has to go somewhere as we vacate our normally sized home which is abnormally full of "stuff"

Lots went to good will with more destined to follow. Lots went into a rented container Patti sells out of on the week-ends....

We planned to jump off this week end then Patti's car developed and intermittent ignition problem that kept stranding her all over the place, o added expense of a rented truck....car repairs..

Looks like we try again some time mid week or next week end...So it goes...I feel like we have casted off a thousand lines and are till tied to the dock.

I find I'm still looking forward to seeing my trailer for the first time....sanctuary...
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Yow, this is one complicated and painful move! Are you at all tempted to simply toss most of the accumulation and move on? I think I would be. But the better half must be pleased that you are recouping cash from the ginormous pile of her precious objects. Wish this was MUCH easier!
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    Me To! LOL!
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

We probably all hate moving--but in your case--please spare us such a difficult experience!
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Looking around the apt I see oodles of things that should be gotten rid of. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but being poor tends to make one a pack rat. Because you know that replacing this and that requires money that you don't have. Nothing of any aesthetic value, this makes it much easier to toss. But I don't, even though my income has greatly increased over the decades. Inflation--which of course we have very little of--cough, COUGH, adds to the keep it just in case fever.

If my junk had any real value... sorry that such a pile of it bedevils you!
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    Patti's starter on her car had to be replaced, $450, While that was being done she had to work and move us in a rented truck, due to temporary loss of car, bill on the rental skyrocketed on the truck, another $400.

Then the rental truck wouldn't start delayed two more days. Meanwhile Patti is trying to get to work and move us around all he obstacles that keep blocking her path and eating up our money. two weeks of double rents...thank God nothing is owed on the trailer itself!

We hope to actually move into the trailer tomorrow. will be out of touch until Tuesday or Wednesday when we get hook up with Direct TV's data service, much better deal that Hughes Sat Service offer and very much better user reviews.

It seems that poor Patti planned this just to make God laugh ":O}
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Well, one hopes he's laughing WITH you and not at you! My car has needed $800 in repairs over the last two months. Very sorry that the fix car money came at such a bad time!
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    As an insult comic once said
    "It's only funny if YOU laugh"
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

He or she makes a very good point!
  10. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I hate, hate, haaaaaate moving!
    I can't think of anything worse than moving.
    After my parents divorced when I was a kid we moved and moved moved. Finally in Jr High/High School I was able to live in my Mom's house consistently, but once I went to college, I was moving twice a year. Then out of college I moved about 5 more times.
    My wife buys all kinds of stuff to decorate the house and we have accumulated GOBs of junk. Not to mention all of my PCs, parts and music instruments. (At least I use them... ha ha ha)
    Our next move is going to be a last move. We pray that our next house is an owned one for 20-30 years.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I hear you, Booman! Come to think of it , I moved a LOT as a kid. No more than two years in one place as a kid and young adult. Been at these grid coordinates for more than 25 years. Whoulda thunk that? Not me.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, I'm so sick of moving that I would be happy to just stay in one house for the rest of my life.

The only thing I like about moving is purging all the stuff in storage and re-organizing rooms.
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm guilty of being a pack rat to some degree. But I draw the line at paying for storage. Your stuff may merit the expense and hassle.
  14. booman

Home page:
    The only time I would purchase storage is for a temporary move... like waiting for a house to close and moving into a temporary apartment or something on those lines.
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I understand, that certainly makes sense.