1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Witcher 3 SteamOS Slip up

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Aryvandaar, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

What thoughts do people have on the slip up on the front page news in the steam client in June, that The Witcher 3 would come to SteamOS, then it was removed and we haven't gotten any response from CD Project Red about it yet?
  2. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I haven't read any official response but I do feel extremely let down. Witcher 3 on linux natively would have done a great impact.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I also feel disappointed about that. I think they should commit to a Linux version since they were talking about it at some point. But this is the same company that is behind GOG as well, and I get the impression that they like to keep things to themselves until they know they can actually do something. Maybe they want to get The Witcher 2 done properly for Linux before they feel they can take on The Witcher 3.

I actually saw that front page on Steam when it happened. It cause a bit of confusion when I couldn't seem to find any more information, and when checking The Wicher 3 store page later there was no Linux version mentioned.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    That is usually a clue... if you can't find much information about it, then its not happening yet.
    I wonder if they are basing their success on Witcher 2 Linux to determine if its worth making a Linux port for Witcher 3?
  5. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I sure hope that they don't have that mentality, because they have promised something now that they can't seem to give us an official answer for. I honestly don't see the big deal when they already seem to have coded OpenGL into their engine. Once the engine work is done there isn't a lot of extra code needed in the game.

It's strange how some AAA developers try to give the impression that developing games natively costs a lot of money and time. I don't think this is true because you see a lot of indie developers who will gladly develop a Linux version, and they don't have this attitude where they make it seem so hard. Many of these indie games are also pretty complex, but that is really besides the point, because I think the only thing you need is to separate the graphical rendering to use OpenGL or some other Linux compatible graphics renderer.

Do you guys know of a game called Neverwinter Nights? It has a Linux version. The game is fairly complex, actually I think it's very complex, and I don't think I ever heard Bioware complain about how hard it is to develop a Linux version back then.

I think that companies either don't want to get on Microsoft's bad side, so they get more support for development on Windows & Xbox One, or they are simply bought out by Microsoft. This is a wrong approach though, because they should use companies like that to get knowledge about a piece of hardware. They should instead find someone who is not associated with such a company to do the work.

This really strikes me the wrong way, because I am a person who believe that a person should always keep his word, but of course within reason, because we all make mistakes, but it seems to me that so few value honesty. Recently I've come to question CD Project Red, because of this and the Xbox One Collector's Edition bonus.

If they don't make a Linux version I will consider boycotting them. It all depends on what happens afterwards. If we get no Linux version and they don't give a sincere apology for the Steam mess then I will boycott them. Because this would mean that they don't care for their customers like they claim and used to.
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yeah its a complicated market. There is always a "gray area" and it seems everything is routed around money.
    No surprise, the music and movie industries are the same.

I probably won't be purchasing any Witcher games anyways, due to the adult content. My family likes to watch me play games and I have two young daughters.

But I'm sure it won't make a difference to most publishers and developers.
    I really think they are missing out on a good opportunity to grow a new niche in gaming.
    Most companies make Mac versions of their games and it must have been the same battle.
    So we'll see what happens!
    Most of my favorite AAA games are already in Linux because of Valve.

These other companies just need to step up and take a risk.