1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to install after installing Mint 16?

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by booman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I stumbled onto this article about 12 Things to do after installing Mint 16
    I was caught off guard because I don't install any of those programs but Chromium

He suggests an antivirus, dropbox, copy and changing updates PPA locations, etc
    Can someone clue me in why most of this list is important?

Here is my To Do list:
    1. Update Mint
    2. Video Drivers
    3. p7zip
    4. Wine
    5. PlayOnLinux
    6. Chromium
    7. Openbox
    8. Theme
    9. Wallpaper
  2. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Can't help here but I like the Faenza Icons (#8) and, regarding point #10 (adding more stuff) I would install GParted, Calibre and Clementine.

However, I suggest you take a look at this guide, made by a guy who really knows what he's doing.

Anyway, I have a question for you: on your list there is Openbox, so how do you configure it?
    All the guides I found for Ubuntu were clearly incomplete, always resulting in a mess (luckily I only tried them using Virtualbox).

Just a couple of days ago I downloaded and installed on my second desktop the Openbox version of Manjaro, and I must say I really love it.
  3. booman

Home page:
    I'll check out that guide, thanks!

Actually I didn't even bother to configure openbox.
    I only use it for games, so I right-click, select Terminal, then type "playonlinux"
    Then I launch my game.
    The only problems I've had is setting the desktop resolution for games that don't support high resolutions.
    Otherwise, all of my games are running at 1680x1050

If I need a folder or something I just type "nemo" in the terminal and work.
    But I mostly work in Cinnamon. I only launch Openbox for certain games
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    You know, a lot of configuration tips can be found in the Arch wiki. Even if you are on a different distro, usually the config files are located in the same place (or it will be easy to find them), and the actual configuration is pretty similar. The only differences you might run into could be caused by another distro using a slightly older version. I'll leave this link up for the Arch wiki article on Openbox
  5. booman

Home page:
    Wow, very informational guide Kladiator! I learned about boot-repair
    I could have used that last week instead of re-installing Mint, but hey now I'm on Mint 16
    Do any of you actually use a firewall and antivirus/malware?

I know Linux is susceptible to threats, but most of them seem to only affect windows.
    I know I'm using Windows dll's for games, so there is a chance my virtual drive could get infected, but that as easy as deleting the drive and creating a new one.

At the same time, I don't really play any online games except Drakensang and Neverwinter.
    Everything else is singleplayer and I don't browse internet through virtual drives.
  6. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I use gufw, the graphical frontend to ufw, and I just did a very basic setup with allowing outgoing and denying incoming. Then setting up exceptions with the pretty easy graphical interface for certain applications. I also have an anti-virus, not running constantly but I sometimes do a scan of my home folder. It is called Clamav, and I use a graphical interface called ClamTk. It primarily searches for windows viruses since there primarily are viruses for windows.

Even though such viruses can't harm me, I would not want to potentially infect the computers of friends that get stuff from me via USB or email attachments.
  7. booman

Home page:
    wow, so thoughtful... good point
    Actually, I have Immunet installed on work computers and its based on ClamAV
    I wanted something a little more unknown instead of Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast.

But I never thought of seriously using a firewall and AV on Linux...
  8. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

To Daerandin: thanks for the link, I will some day in the near future try those instructions on a virtual machine.

To Booman: I also use gufw but in the last few years I never bothered to install an anti-virus program, although Daerandin's reason for doing so is no doubt a very valid one.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Then again, if our friends have Windows, they should probably have an anti-virus.
    All the Mac users I know don't use an anti-virus either.
    I know there have a been a few threats for Mac recently, but still doesn't seem like a big concern for end-users.