1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To awake upon the morrow...If that's not Shakespear, it must be me!

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/mtlVSedpIRU?ecver=2"

I gotta to move!

Our brand new 28 foot 37 year old Collins (now known as Jayco) 5th Wheel
    is in place in our little slot among many along the Green river.

Patti over saw it's delivery and is dividing her time between work,fitting what we feel is essential into our new home. (Very little can be considered essential in our circumstance.)

Once we have gotten us moved Patti will have to oversee the removal of all we had accumulated in over 40 years of marriage from our current home. Sell or donate what is still of use to others.

She will lose much. I will lose little, but it will be a meaningful little.

Looks like we will be to remote for High speed Internet connection. I can't believe there isn't a hard line of some kind I can get DLS or fiber some kind of connection.

If there isn't I'm Screwed. It will mean we have to use Hughes Sat. services.

For Data services (Phone and Internet) they want $69.00 for a 20 gig cap a month and extra charges. Other "packages" cost more or are useless to us.

Then Go Direct TV for entertainment, actually for a massive reduction in choice and a big increase in cost. Roku and Earthlink spoiled us.

I told Patti not to sign Hugh's 2 year minimum contract until we exhaust every other possibility, but it does not look good.

I've never had a capped service before. I did a bit of research myself and learned that watching two or three movies a month on netflix through Roku should do in the monthly cap and leave Patti without a phone service

I have no idea how surfing the web (Coming here) will effect the cap on Data.

I hope to actually see our new home and trailer this week end. That's how rushed this whole thing has been. The logistics for Patti were just to much to allow her picking me up and dropping me off to gain my greater participation.

For those who live a more modern life, things are just o different!
    To allow for all the tremendous change modern life has brought you to I offer this:

\https://www.youtube.com/embed/mUCoQryE7-k?ecver=2"
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Personally speaking there is everything I'd do (except break the law) to prevent having to move. The horror! I hope you can sift through all of your net connection options--and I hope the best one isn't awful. The most time I ever lived in one place was two years. Until now, that is. Same spot for 26 years, who could believe it?

I hope the shock of having to move wears off quickly, and that you really like your new home.
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    Were still trying to weigh our options. How much bandwidth does surfing the web pull down? Does any one know?
  4. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    We should be fine in terms of your bandwidth allotment, although we'll probably still amount to 1GB or so of your monthly traffic.

Stay off YouTube! LOL

And yeah, NetFlix will probably be unusable for streaming. I mean, it's doubtful your bandwidth would be good enough to even USE it, but your data cap would DEFINITELY preclude it.

I know you don't use Facebook, but does Patti? Facebook can really kill your data.

Man 20 GB? I use that IN A DAY! (Of course I work from home too, and my work is data intensive)
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    Well I do thank God for small favors, but this time he said to thank Chris! ":O}

Patti has a cell phone and her own computer which she uses on the Google.

I come here that's about it unless TR sends me somewhere to look at something cool
    or I'm buying a trailer.

I imagine that with a 20 gig limit music is a bit of a draw a well?
    Patti is on the phone constantly and texts a lot. She has two jobs and is
    always having to make arrangements with her clients..usually short and sweet but with a high number of calls.

$69.00 and you get 20 gigs. I've got thumb drives it would take 3 months to fill!

This trailer camp ground has been around for at least 30 years...is it possible they don't have a hard line in...They sit right on a highway and they have power.

We will be having to pay more for way less (Will have to get Direct TV if we want any entertainment as well as the data service.) 85% of what I watch is on Netflix or Hulu and everything I watch has been though Roku streamer. WHAT a bargain that has been! cut our costs by half and gave us endless choice and commercial free T.V. through Hulu.

I was just starting to really use U tube, it's almost as amazing as the Google":O|

But a long as I can get "here" I don't think it will be hard to adjust...never easy to give up something we've come to expect to be there when you want it.

Patti was scared stiff that I'd be left staring at the walls and the walls are to close to properly focus upon!

Lastly, will any phone line in give me a good Internet or does it have to be fiber optic? Also does DSL need improved lines to work?

Thank you Chris.
    This should be doable.,
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    I always...almost always regret having to move, so much hassle and it lasts for weeks or even months before things settle in again.

Yet I have also found there is much to be gained by moving every 2-3 or 3-5 years It can have a revitalizing effect on life. The light changes, the sounds , even familiar sounds mix differently.

Morning and evening seen to take a different route to reach you...Everything is somehow different and just a little strange.
    New beginnings alway ask of us
    Who will I be.... this time?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Only The Shadow knows? Sorry, it's off topic but I couldn't resist. Moving definitely grabs your attention for perhaps longer than it should. Especially if you're no Spring duck any more. Love how loud Mallards are when they want to be heard. And they can sound sarcastic as well. Amazing.
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't know if DSL has improved since I got it through my telco. Used to get 1 Mb Down usually--with short periods of almost 2.7 Mb. The Upload bandwidth was always a bad joke. I sincerely hope that it has improved.
    I get phenomenal Download bandwidth--but it costs me a little short of $170 per month. And the ugly truth is that few Servers feed you your info at anywhere near the bandwidth. Thanks Server land. Ya tightwads.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    As a boy we raised ducks for a time.It didn't take much to distract me from feeding time, but I was never more than a 1/2 hour late. I couldn't be.If I was you could hear them bad mouth me a block away.

They would line up along the fence and complain to our neighbors of my abuse!! If I was late when I came into the yard all the hens would push the drake into attacking me. Only after we had a fake fight would the hen back off him...and start eating...So they weren't that hungry after all!!!we had an understanding he and I and so we never drew blood....until the last day when they were all carted off to slaughter to make room for a new swimming pool in our back yard...modern times...and yes very sarcastic. But I always wished Mama and Papa duck could have swam in our new pool.
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I had a wonderful Nurse Practitioner way back when. She loved ducks, I felt I should follow through and become duck lover. Maybe there will be duck activity on your nearby river? But if the water is swift and the channel is narrow maybe Torrent Ducks could handle it. But they live in South America only. Sigh.
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    For now the river looks (In Google still haven't put eyes on it personally}
    about 6 inches deep and is spread out over a wide river bed, sandbars dividing up the trickle...But Rivers change and I just know there will be salmon! LOL

White River.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.157385,-121.6591551,126m/data=!3m1!1e3

Greenwater
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.1551372,-121.6528367,494m/data=!3m1!1e3

Clearwater trailer park
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.157...4!1siPXSiu-lGAQAtyzKrKnOWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You mean you are actually South of Mt Tahoma? It looks like an extremely nice place to live, one river looks like it will never flood. The other one, which you are nearer to, looks like it could get delusions of grandeur. I sincerely hope not!

Ah so, you are North of Mt Rainier. Whew, I thought you had really almost disappeared. Of general interest, maybe. The steepest wooded slopes I've ever seen are near Daniel's new home. And I mean freakin' steep!
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    There is a whole lot of up and down from what I've seen. They swear it never floods, we'll see.
    But if it does, well it is a trailer ya know, we won't have to stay and fight a rising river as you point out "above flood stage" is just a few yards away.":O}
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Maybe a truck to pull you away from water that rises too high is possible to arrange in advance? Sure would be nice to motorvate away from wet feet!
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    Lots of help near by.":O} But seriously were dealing with a very young river at 1700 feet.
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That's good! Chinook Pass Road or Highway or whatever sounds like it should be in Alaska. Prolly just my warped take.
  17. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    DSL was DESIGNED to work over POTS copper lines; it doesn't require fiber. I can get 12 Mbit DSL here, and Webb City's copper lines were laid around WWII. The final bandwidth though depends on how far you are from the switch, and I happen to be fairly close.

If you can get a hard-line for phone though, I would think you should also be able to get cable, unless the cable company just doesn't want to screw with a trailer park. If you can get cable then you SHOULD be able to get Internet as well, depending on who your provider is (probably ComCrap).
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    Thanks again Gizmo, just the infor I needed!