1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu Nvidia Drivers Perfrom Better than Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, May 21, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
  2. Aedan

Aedan Administrator Staff Member

Makes me wonder how much is down to optimization for the platform it's running on... I remember Valve making a big deal about how Linux OpenGL was faster than Windows OpenGL/DirectX, and it turned out their Windows OpenGL optimizations were not as good as they thought they were.

We shall see! :)
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I'll see if I can run some benchmarks on my Arch system with the Xfce DE. Perhaps on sunday. Tomorrow I'll be moving all my stuff to the new apartment, and I expect to spend most of saturday to buy whatever I still need.

I currently have the 337.19 nvidia driver, although my laptop GPU is of course not as powerful as the desktop variant of the GTX 670. Personally I have only had very positive experiences with the performance of nvidia's linux driver.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I had no idea the OpenGL driver was more optimized for Linux than Windows. Sounds like developers are more focused on Linux/Mac than Windows.

I still havn't updated to the newest Nvidia drivers.
  5. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It would be more accurate to say that OpenGL developers are more focused on Linux/Mac than Windows. Windows apps tend to use Direct-Draw because Microsoft provide very efficient tools for that API, and so are more optimized in that direction. Apps that are developed for OpenGL tend to be more cross-platform oriented, and so will not have the same level of optimization (usually) for Windows as they will for other platforms.

With modern operating systems there really shouldn't be a reason for overwhelming differences in performance between one OS and another. Of course, this assumes the core driver code is shared between the various OSen with only some wrapper code is used for interfacing, and also assumes equivalent levels of competence for application developers across all OSen (both somewhat dangerous assumptions, particularly the later).