1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Games are Killing Industry?

Discussion in 'Games' started by danrok, Jun 24, 2013.

Comments

Discussion in 'Games' started by danrok, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Gizmo
    I'm sorry, but no. Just no.
  2. Daniel~
    Shill: One who stands in the crowd and pretends to voice it's sentiments while actually trying to induce an unwise reaction to what is being offered. (this is my personal definition)

How many BILLIONS were spent in "encouraging devs to continue to make "sacrifices" that we might enjoy really shoddy, derivative,repetitive and some pretty crappy games? I think we deserve to be able to buy used what was made from scarps of previous games. Not to mention that we BUY rather than rent those games in the first place.

(Now I'll go and actually read the article in question. Please believe I wish I was kidding.
    But some things are just so wrong one need not hesitate to condemn them.)
  3. Daniel~
    I'm just so glad I read it! MS greed and lack of understanding of it's customers has never been more obvious.
    They almost created a new world domination for the PS4!
  4. danrok
    Grand Theft Auto IV "grossing more than $500 million in revenue in the first week".

Where was the hardship in that? What else can pull in that kind of money in a week?
  5. Daniel~
    How many people are going to want to sell a really good game they just bought the week before, the month before, even 6 months or a year before? Used games hardly slow the new game purchases even when the game is "OLD"

I often see a "Old" new games selling for the same price as it's used counter part. The only difference is that the gamers get to recoup something from his investment and the world saves something in resources. Buying used helps the world!
  6. Gizmo
    What they are really whining about is that they have to work too hard to create games that people want to play and are willing to pay for. They'd rather have the ability to just dip right into our wallets and take out whatever they feel like.

I wonder if the game industry is like the music industry, i.e. the people who actually produce the content get a pittance, and the big distribution houses get the bulk of the profits for 'marketing'?
  7. Daniel~
    Someone with a better understanding than my own should write an article on this. I feel GOL should give as much space as is needed to the NON DRM groups to be sure they are heard and that their point of view is appreciated.
  8. danrok

I'd say it is worse, if anything.

Typically musicians are at least able to own the copyright to their songs (assuming they haven't signed that right away).

A programmer gets paid a wage, and gets to own nothing. They can even be sued, if they change jobs and write code along similar lines to what they created elsewhere - despite that being the normal nature of humans. Then there are contracts which may forbid them from working for competitors in the future.
  9. Daniel~
    To be restricted by law from returning to or revisiting ones own best creations shows just how badly humanity fairs under corporate rule.

What if Einstein hadn't be able to ever re-use or improve upon his past work in order to advance his current explorations?
    What if Mozart had been forbidden from the re-use of his past creations in his evolution as an artist...

We have GOT TO STOP seeing our creative class as something Corporations have a right to own. Or we will be listening to a broken record playing a really bad song that skips and repeats until the end of time.
    (I just promoted my first thread!>":O}
  10. Gizmo

I have first-hand experience with this. My last job had a non-compete clause which prevented me from going to work for a competitor for 2 years, and if I write anything that even SMELLS like it might be using proprietary technology, I'll land in court. This DESPITE the fact that there are only so many ways to write an algorithm, and when a programmer has developed his craft, he's going to tend to solve similar problems in similar ways.

If you are a highly skilled programmer who is in demand, you can sometimes negotiate a better employment contract, but the fact is programmers (at least the good ones) just want to write code. As a result, most of the time we aren't aware of the legal ramifications until after we've been burned at least once.

For the run-of-the-mill programmer, they don't even have that to fall back on, and in a soft economy even the skilled programmers have to be very careful.
  11. Daniel~
    With programmers and designers working is such happy spaces, no wonder every game we look at is just so unique and original... No one would want to hold back their best ideas in such a circumstance now would they!?
    ( This is me being really sarcastic...)