1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve drops hints about Steam game hardware

Discussion in 'News' started by danrok, Sep 17, 2013.

• by danrok, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM
  • danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

From the BBC:

Valve will next week reveal more details about the gaming hardware it has been developing.

Valve boss Gabe Newell made the announcement during a keynote speech at the LinuxCon 2013 conference.

Industry watchers expect the news to be about the long-awaited "Steam box" that the company has kept under tight wraps.

Story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24125344
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by danrok, Sep 17, 2013.

1. booman
    He also said a lot about their history and future of Linux.
    He doesn't seem all that concerned about us being 1% of Steam gamers.
    The more work they put into Linux the more we'll grow
  2. danrok
    It would be about 500,000 to 1 million users, depending on the exact figures used.

It's a small share of a very big pie.

But, how many of them have other platforms for gaming? Few serious gamers will only have a Linux box, I'd guess.
  3. Daniel~
    Grand unification:
    "In his speech, Mr Newell said that the Linux open source software was the future of gaming because its openness stood in stark contrast to the closed and proprietary worlds of consoles, mobiles and tablets. Linux is an operating system, like Windows, but is one that, unlike Windows, lets anyone tinker with its internal workings."

In the end....we play with those who will play with us... ain't that the way it ought a be! ":O}
  4. booman
    Thats ok, if most gamers want to pay more for their gaming experience, thats fine with me. I'll keep saving money and enjoy my freedom.

I will probably always have 1 Win machine around, but I have already started trying games in Linux first. If it runs, I play it in Linux, if not, then I'll have to resort to Windows.
  5. rolandttg
    Great news! Even if there are only 1 million users that number is still massive. I look for games that either are linux or can run on linux.
  6. booman
    Exactly, even if half of us buy a new game for $40-$60 that is a lot of money!
    Good job Steam!

By the way, last weekend I saw Tomb Raider for under $13 on Steam... I really really wanted to get it.