1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video on demand - which do you currently use?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Smart1, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Smart1

Smart1 New Member

Do you subscribe to any video on demand services?

I recently switched from LoveFilm to Netflix which seems to be better
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Netflix and Amazon Prime work great in Chrome
  3. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Recently switched from LoveFilm?

It has been defunct for 6 years. Perhaps the bot code needs updating?
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I've used Netflix for years. They sometimes seem to improve but I kinda think they are getting worse. Many of their self-produced movies are not on target, maybe it's just me.
    I was recently recommended to try www.filmstruck.com . It's Turner Classic Media on-line. I don't know if it's available in your area, sorry. I'm gonna give it a free (let's hope that's the truth) two week trial.

I already buy far too many movies from TCM. Maybe this will be a great savings? Hope so.
  5. booman

Home page:
    I think a lot of Netflix "original" movies and shows are not "original". I think they purchase the rights and someone else produces it. As in, I don't think Netflix has their own studio for creating movies like other professional studios.

I've been trying Amazon Prime since my work pays for it, its not too bad, just not a lot of good movies. Been watching BBC series and loving them at least.
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    That's true of a lot of 'original' series, and has been for a long time, even on networks like Syfy or OWN, or whatever. There are a lot of independent studios out there that get contracted to produce something, and then get it packaged as an 'original'.

Heck, I've even seen stuff show up on one network as 'original' that I saw previously on another network. It's 'original' in the sense that it has never been on that network before, and now they have the rights to it.
    booman likes this.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Yup, just another marketing scheme to get us to spend more money.

Just like:
    The Dark Web
  8. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Black Mirror is a good anthology series on Netflix.

They call it "original" but first shown on Channel 4 in the UK 4 years earlier.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

"Black Mirror" tomorrow's dystopia here today. Oh yay! Not a bad series, no doubt at all that Netflix lies about it.

Yes, I'm sure that Netflix pays others to produce their "originals." Some are pretty good, but not enough of them, really.

Hollywood takes no chances at all with "new" material, all we seem to see is re-hashes.
    Let me put in a good word for "Deadpool," it is truly funny. Its opening credits rock, too. Not all Marvel productions are good. But it seems safe to say that nearly all DC productions are bad.

I'm experiencing nothing at all good with Filmstruck. None of their movies play for me. What's REALLY cute about them is that their return address for their "we're here to help. Tell us what's wrong" department is invalid. So... they ARE really trying. I'll give 'em one more day. Here's hoping that ending their fabulous 14 day free trial is POSSIBLE without headaches!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Asked to be struck from their roll of free 14-day trial customers tonight. Wish me luck!
  11. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    If Netflix finds out that your using time displacement to see their stuff 4 years ahead of the rest of us, your in big trouble...They could cancel your subscription!! "::O
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Around 90 % of what I watch is either on Hulu, Netflix or HBO. HBO is the lest attractive deal but has things before most others. This summer I found out that Game of Thrones is as addictive as they say.
    Hulu allows me to pay and extra 3.50 a month to see everything without commercial interruption. I would pay several times that if I had to. Commercial are the work of the devil.

Netflix In my mind offers the best deal. But Hulu offers all of Television, sometimes a season behind sometime right on time. If I had to choose ...I between them I would cry.":O}

AS far as my film experience goes, nobody can touch Netflix for price and verity.

I'm all for their including foreign language films, some are actually worth watching even with sub-titles. But I wish they would separate them from the English language Get tired wading though films I''ll never watch.Many of the foreign films are second raters that I think they must buy in bulk.

Hulu BTW comes up with some surprisingly new and good movies from time to time and a lot of good oldies.

Both Hulu and Netflix offer much better deals. I had Prime for a year and when things got tought for Patti and I dropped it. Now that we can afford it again...I just haven't bothered, they offer to little that I don't already get.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    You won't have any trouble George. At one time or another I've canceled them all. They are actually quite good about it. Most will keep in their records and allow you to resume any time you like...or never.":O}|
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

24 hours and not a peep from Filmstruck. I suggest avoiding them, most of their offerings are from the olde days. I can watch only so much b/w. Funny, they even Blu-Ray-ize a few black and whites. They look great. Buying them from their catalog of course.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    I never buy flixs.I doubt I could stand to watch any film more than 3 or4 times. I like there to be several years between viewings. So I really don't need to own nor do I see it as cost effective.

Then there's the question of media. How long will blue Ray be around? DVD lasted what 5 years?
    So any collection is doomed by progress. Yes I know you can still buy DVD's. But your missing out on blue ray if you do.
    I find it far easier to keep up if I don't have to consider what's best for a collection that is going obsolete as fast as they can make it go.

Then there are the services like Netflix that give me an instant collection, far far larger than I could ever afford
    and constantly updated to newer additions.

I save the money to try to at lest keep up on the players, Blue ray etc. I'm still using my PS3 player for blue ray and DVD. But how much longer can that last before they find a way to force us onto a new standard and players?
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I sincerely want to avoid Amazon's on demand service. Netflix does NOT offer enough quality movies, and they are not getting better over time. I refuse to watch the crappy offerings of TV from my exorbitantly overpriced cable contract.
    Yes, buying DVD's even from TCM (the folks that allegedly bring us Filmstruck) isn't cheap. It's ALWAYS something. And most don't need re watching for years.

Filmstruck may be becoming a bad enemy of mine. They respond to help! requests with emails that have no working return address. The cuteness! Beginning to think that this is going to require help from the BBB. Yuck-- as if I want the hassle. AVOID Filmstruck. Succinctly put, they suck.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Having to pay for several services in order to get almost everything on the popular menu already, My eyes are on the ground or up in the heavens when ever another service offers itself. But I WILL remember the name
    Filmstruck and cast aspersions upon it at every opportunity/
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Amazing, Filmstruck FINALLY acknowledged my requests to be relieved of their 14-day free trial membership. I'm glad--but the return address for their "Help" requests that doesn't work is a bit much.

For the money they charge, which is roughly 13 bones a month for access to their collection plus Criterion's collection ain't a bad deal. My guess is that it works fine with Winsuck OS's. But I no longer work with MS OS's.
    All the same, their idea of a "modern" movie ends at around 1955. Color, what an interesting concept.
  19. porporme

porporme Member

I don't watch a lot of movies. I've had netflix and wasn't impressed. I have Amazon Video but only because it comes with Prime. I'd cancel if it cost extra.
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I sincerely wish I read more. I've fallen victim to the dancing pixel, Arrgh! Netflix "produces" a lot of material, but most of it doesn't float the boat. I like "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" with Jerry Seinfeld quite a bit. And... some Marvel stuff is good...