1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World War Z in PlayOnLinux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Dec 29, 2020.

• by booman, Dec 29, 2020 at 11:16 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    The zombie apocalypse has arrived and begun a whole new war! World War Z is a co-op third-person shooter very similar to Left4Dead series. Slay countless zombies in an objective based experience in New York, Moscow, Jerusalem, Tokyo and Marseille. With an arsenal of weapons you will try to escape linear levels with your friends (or bots) and survive massive hordes of zombies.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/world-war-z/home

World War Z is one of the rare games that actually works in PlayOnLinux with Epic Games Launcher. I had to do a bit of trial-n-error just to get the Launcher working by adding Media Foundation, Visual C++ 2019 and DXVK, but it actually works. The only issues I had playing this game is a bit of stutter at the begging of each level. I'm sure there is some caching going on there and its annoying, but if you are patient, it eventually begins to run well. I also had to crank down the settings as the higher the video settings the more caching required. During my first tests the game ran so slow I was unable to play.
    There was also an instance where Epic Games Launcher failed to launch. I had to try other version of Wine including the "staging" version and eventually got it to work again.

Note: In order for Epic Games Launcher to run properly be sure to use this argument in PlayOnLinux: -SkipBuildPatchPrereq -opengl

Specs:
    Mint 19.3 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 455
    PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
    Wine 5.12-staging 64-bit
    DXVK 1.7.1 64-bit

wwz-2.jpg warz-0.jpg wwz-3.jpg warz-2.jpg wwz-5.jpg warz-3.jpg wwz-6.jpg warz-6.jpg wwz-8.jpg warz-8.jpg wwz-10.jpg warz-9.jpg wwz-12.jpg warz-11.jpg wwz-15.jpg warz-13.jpg wwz-19.jpg wwz-21.jpg wwz-22.jpg wwz-23.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Dec 29, 2020.