1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sims 3 Help

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Joy, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Joy

Joy New Member

I apologize profusely if I'm doing this wrong. I'm a complete noob at this forum as well as Linux. Actually, I know more about Linux than this forum business. OK, here's the problem. I have Linux Mint 18 cinnamon that I installed on Friday. All I really want is play the Sims 3. I own it on Origin. I have installed, uninstalled, reinstalled, screamed, cursed, and even quit so many times over the last few days I've lost count. I have followed your beautiful instructions to the letter. I am still unable to get it to work. Origin loads beautifully. The Sims 3 sits and does nothing. I've run it through debugging but none of it makes sense enough for me to fix. I'm disabled and don't have much of a life. I just want my game to work. Can you, or someone out there, help me? Please? Pretty please?

booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Welcome to the forum Joy!
    I would love to help....
    We may have to do some trial-n-error first because I initially had some problems running Sims 3 as well.

Do you know anything else about your system?
    Video card/chip?
    Video drivers?

Are you able to play any other games in PlayOnLinux?
  3. Joy

Joy New Member

Hey there!

Thank you so much for your response! I'm at my wits end.

I have a cheap HP Stream 11 laptop. It has just the basic Intel HD graphics built in. I wouldn't even bother to try to run the game if I hadn't had it run in Windows to begin with so I know it will work. I dislike Windows so I switched to Linux.

I haven't run anything succesfully but Origin with PlayOnLinux. I am not really a huge gamer right now. My hard drive isn't big enough to play but one game anyway. LOL. So I've chosen to install the Sims 3. If it would be easier to install the game off of a disk I'll purchase the game again if you can help me mount my CD/DVD drive which won't work either.

What else do you want to know?

Joy
  4. booman

Home page:
    Sounds like you are on the short-end-of-the-stick.... Unfortunately Sims 3 might not run in Linux even though it did in Windows. Drivers can report different performance from both operation systems.
    Do you know which Intel video chip?

For example my Acer Chromebook has an Intel HD 2000 video chip. It can't play games like Sims 3, but can play a bunch of older games.
  5. Joy

Joy New Member

I'll have to find out the video chip and get back to you. I am not feeling very optimistic. LOL. May have to go back to Windows and that would suck.

Joy
  6. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, Windows will suck but if you have to play Sims 3 and can't afford a new PC, might as well. Maybe you could dual-boot?
  7. Joy

Joy New Member

Hard drive is too small to dual boot. For now I will reinstall Windows until I can get a better computer. Maybe in a couple weeks. Anyway, thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Joy
  8. booman

Home page:
    No problem, I totally understand