1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Billion Monitors Vulnerable to Hijacking and Spying

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by cloasters, Aug 9, 2016.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I can't seem to find it...?
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The repaired (thank you!) link above works. Then you have to click the "Older" virtual button at the bottom of the page three times. It's at the top of the third page. Or should be.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I don't see it either.
    Always good to see others reading at slashdot
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Sorry that it's difficult to find. The article was posted on Aug 7, I find it without difficulty, but we do get lucky at times.
    The story, if I recall it correctly is that all monitors are open to hacking that isn't beneficial. I mean, who would a thunk that our dependable and relatively low tech monitors can be turned against us?

Also learned via Slashdot.org that many Apple laptops and PC's can have components that are four, that's 4 years old. I guess that's why they are so inexpensive? Dunno why, but I've always found Apple to be unacceptable.
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Dunno the context of that statement, but it's a very dangerous generalization.

It's quite frequently the case that OEMs will source components from distributors who have surplus, so the components won't necessarily be the latest production run. But really, what difference does it make if a PWM for a power supply, or a switching transistor, or a LPC controller, or an ASIC was made 4 weeks ago or 4 years ago? As long as the component is not used and meets the specifications, right?
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What bothers me is that Apple machines command premium prices. I don't take it for granted that any old part is worth paying brand new extra money over a non Apple laptop with new components.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  8. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

I think it very much depends on the component in question. CPU and GPU, yes, I'd be somewhat peeved if a premium device was four years out of date in this regard. But ancillary hardware such as hardware clock, BIOS/EFI or battery charging control? Not so much... in fact I'd almost prefer those were a little longer in the tooth and proven in use before finding their way into my expensive new shiny.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hee, hee. If I had paid a good deal more than fair money for a new Apple laptop and it arrived with a four year old CPU or GPU I'd be considerably more than politely peeved. I'm in favor of very up to date UEFI, too. I find it comical that fools pay a fortune to advertise their foolishness with the lit up Apple logo. Oh dear, am I prejudiced against Apple? Sho you right!
  10. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Trust no one! ":O}
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Indeed, Deep Throat of "The X-Files" fame spoke correctly. I really liked that character, it bummed me out when he was moidered.