1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaking of Music

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Gizmo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Have you guys heard of Pentatonix? They're a vocal group that is completely A Capella. Here's a link to one of my favorite videos:
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I happy they found a place in this world of noise. So much that is good goes UN-noticed and dies of neglect
  3. Gizmo

Home page:
    Here's one by 2Cellos. Their version of Thunderstruck:

Bear with the beginning, it get's interesting at about 1:34
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Pentatonix is very impressive. Making all of those what certainly sound like electronic sounds by just human voices is quite amazing. To be honest, while those "gimmick" sounds with their voices alone sound truly unique in my extremely limited awareness of up to date music, I'm an old fogy and never liked the original electronic "effects" when they invaded popular music years ago. I know, how out of it can I be? Pretty far, obviously. Pentatonix is a music group that I would be very proud of if I knew them. And I never sang well enough to be within a mile radius of their amazing talent. Always something.

2 Cellos--I like them a lot, thanks for the introduction. I was hoping for a dropped from the eye monocle or two or a partial walkout from the 18th century audience. I guess modern folk in costumes may have a difficult time imagining the past. Much of the music from that old era was quite pleasant and some extremely interesting. Old doesn't automatically mean bad--or good for that matter. Bows for classical instruments can cost thousands, beating them up like that was a bit unnerving. Yet they certainly know what they're doing! I watched the vid with Steve Vai too. Excellent!

Thank you very much for the introductions, Gizmo!

I wish Dan wasn't right about good things dieing from neglect. Much too often.
  5. Gizmo

Home page:
    Yeah, when I first saw that video, I was HORRIFIED at what they were doing to those bows. I did some research and found that low-end 'student' bows can be had for as little as $15. I would imagine they've got a deal on them since they no doubt buy them by the dozen.

Still, $15 a pop for a single run-through of a song makes even PRACTICING rather expensive.

They've got quite a few videos up now, covering a lot of genres. The Steve Vai one was very entertaining, though, without question.
  6. Gizmo

Home page:
    I would LOVE to have the chance to just jam with them (along with a million other people, no doubt). Avi Kaplan does some really neat stuff with the low end.

Here's another video, but this is is pure vocals, no "gimmick" sounds:
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't really know bow "A" from bow "B." I do know that some double bass players like German bows, but more seem to prefer French bows. I've seen four thousand bucks quoted for bass bows. Wonder if the E-Bow works on bass guitar strings?
    Pentatonix are very impressive. Actually beyond impressive, they are amazing. Thank you for the link!

Saw them doing "Jolene" with Dolly Parton on Youtube. Gave freshness to that old goodie.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  8. Gizmo

Home page:
    I ended up buying their 2nd album. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy 2Cellos album or not.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I imagine the second Pentatonix LP was a good purchase. I'm not sure about buying 2Cellos. I think the cello is a beautiful sounding instrument, sorta like if a bass could "speak." Yes, basses do speak but the very low frequency range of basses interferes with their "vocal" ability, imho. Or at least the range interferes with MY vocal ability on bass, tbh.

Perhaps 2Cello's violent approach to the cello detracts from the beauty that the cello is capable of? Of course I've heard only a tiny snippet of their work, I may well have detracted much from their lyric ability unfairly.

Looked up "Perfect Way" from Miles and companions on Youtube. Holy crudomola the Youtube entry's date is 1986. The original recorded version seems best, but I can't tell from the lo-fi speakers on my PC. 1986! I sure keep up with music, not.
    I bought the "Tutu" LP the song is on. "Perfect Way" was stolen from Scritti Politti. Their original version is quite interesting.

Mr Davis's double album of "Bitches Brew" in the early Seventies made my interest in jazz start. It's a fusion LP, and exceptionally good imho. Naturally I'm not learned enough to play jazz. It's always something!
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    "The original Impulses of the heart ( meaning before thoughts and calculations arise within us) are always good and can be followed with complete confidence"
    I-Ching
    Enjoy what the gods have put before you my friend ":O}
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't know how the I-Ching works. If you have the time and inclination, would you give us a hint please, Daniel? I know that it's thousands of years old, but that's all.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    How does the I-Ching work?
    There are theories...but no one knows that..
    I have asked the oracle But I just got yelled at and told to get back to minding my own business.":O}

Try to picture 3000 years of Chinese cultural experience, Taoist, the Confusions,, their great poets and historians.
    Generation after generation How to preserve what the wisest of men had learned and taught their immediate followers How to keep such a store house of wisdom from being lost to mankind?

The I-Ching is a coin Oracle. One takes three coins, (I use Quarters). and Shake them in your hands and let them fall in front of you. Heads is given the number three tails the number two.

Heads are represented by a unbroken line Tales a broken line
    One starts at the bottom and throws the coins six times This builds a Hexagram line by line as the coins are thrown . There are 64 hexagrams Each contains a life situation.

Over the centuries Wise men attached Commentaries that Explain the meaning each hexagram holds for those who draw it. These Commentaries were written by Confusions and Taoists And over time became attached to the situations in each Hexagram.
    One goes to an Oracle for advice relevant to the situation one finds one self. It DOES NOT tell the future...

It does something almost as useful. It tells the present.

Then thorough the lines in a hexagram, using historical examples Gives advice as to how to make adequate passage in the given situation you find yourself.

These historical examples are called images, they picture your situation. After your read the image...You read the judgment. The judgment tells you your best course of action in the situation shown in the Image.

Clear as mud? Really the best way to meet the Oracle is to meet the Oracle.

If you decide to get a copy. Get the Princeton published Wilhelm-Banes edition..
    Nothing else comes close or is worth more than the briefest of looks
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much Dan! 3000 years is certainly a valid history, Confucianism and Taoism, I'd think they were as valid as anything else. More so, obviously. That's a long philosophic tradition!
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, it's fascinating!
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm such a lazy slacker. I bought a bunch of 9 volt Duracell batteries from Costco five years ago for the purpose of keeping the two basses I have that require batteries happy. My bad, I finally bought five of the 9 volters, so they are fresh. I sincerely hope that neither of the old batteries in the back of the two instruments corroded. Expensive trubble if they did! They are the expensive kind, wish me luck.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
  16. Gizmo

Home page:
    So, you've got an active bass? How do you like it as opposed to a passive bass?
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks Dan!
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That's a very interesting question, Gizmo. The first bass I acquired is a G&L L2000. It can be played with the active circuitry off or on. It's OK (and very clean without the active switched on. Active adds a bit of noise to the signal, btw. Maybe modern active basses don't give you that unwanted extra noise?) There's anywhere from a little to a lot of oomph added with the active electronics switched on. You can dial in a broad range of sound. Accentuate the highs or lows or both. Golly, I've had that bass for thirty years. I bought a Made in USA Fender Standard Jazz bass roughly seven years back. it's definitely less weight than the G&L and nothing beats the neck for left hand comfort. No active circuitry at all, no place for a battery. I have a Boss pedal that adds active sound to a un- pre-amplified bass, but the Jazz doesn't need it. My only gripe is that the strange shape of the body makes a standard guitar stand too dangerous to use--it'll slip right off. So I twist rubber bands around the "fork" where the bass sits.

Some basses became available with an 18-volt pre-amp boost circuit (two nine volt batts required) many years back. With the small but noticeable added unwanted noise I get with only one 9-volter, I figured that only maniacs would play one of those. And how much pre-amplification can an amp handle? Fortunately modern bass amps come with two input jacks, one for active, one for a regular bass.

The beautiful red Brice fretless makes no sound at all without its 9-volt battery. It's also quite light. I wouldn't dare play it with my ultra out of shape fretting hand. It's a bit light on the low end but for the price I don't have a genuine complaint.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016