1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dwellings

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    There never was a time in America where you could really be sure what kind of abode someone might be living in. But modern times have cut back a bit on that diversity. Can we say Daily City in Ca.?

Square miles of sameness, that some how broadcasts it's unhappiness to passer byes.
    Perhaps it's that we can't imagine 5 superficially different floor plans suiting everyone we know.

You already know about my 6X28 (External measurement) slice of heaven but I in turn know little of what you have or how you use it when it comes to Houses. Do you all live in houses?

I still do but the tide to carry me off to my brand new river is rising. It's a RIVER damn it!

If I have to live in a cracker box so be it....There's supposed to be a salmon run!! I haven't fished in almost 60 years!

I haven't lived in a trailer ever...I'll keep you posted.

Now you keep me posted Where and in what fashion do you live...please.

Do you have indoor plumbing? I do..I think? ":O}

If you don't that's OK. But you will have to explain.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Weyell--you have lived in a trailer for years, just not a travel trailer. I too would be freaked about the size of your new abode, people should not be forced to inhabit small abodes. But--being homeless is far worse, especially in cool/cold climates. There was a well known song that was about those very similar little houses in Daly City.

The landlord class, along with the rest of the rentier community--those who do no work and have inherited lots of property are trying to kill the poor off. Massa presnit Tarump is more cruel to the poor than I thought possible.
    I'm lucky enough to inhabit a small but decent one bedroom apartment. The walls are very good at canceling neighbor generated noise. Except for my neighbors who are directly above. They love moving their furniture around a lot and have bare Linoleum floors, just like mine. One of them can't resist wearing spike heeled high heels and doing much walking maybe twice a week. And tapping that becomes hammering way too often.

I mostly can keep my chosen hours(the reverse of most of humanity) so I shouldn't complain. Once upon a time for many years I was a cheerful early riser. Whu' happen? Don't know.

Fingers are crossed for a decent Web connection for you!
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    Contents baby contents! I know you have musical instrument and a computer how do you organize your life within your space? Are you home a lot? Do you have parties? No body has parties any more or maybe I'm just not a popular as I thought I was.":O}
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Tbh, I'm pretty much a hermit. When you're old it's much more difficult to make new friends, I have a small handful for which I am grateful. I stopped being a musician about three years ago, my excuse was that after ten years of working hard at it I realized that I needed another ten years to become decent. Which means that I was blessed with only a small amount of musical talent. I still have a few amplifiers and three bass guitars, it's possible that I'll pick up the lightest one again, but doubtful. Sigh.

I should be doing many things. I love to read but I'm now addicted to the pixel that moves all by itself. Argh.

Crikey, there is no way that I can afford living in California. I'd rather be there, I can really feel the cold cutting into me. It was 84F a couple of days ago, I swear it felt like 65F. Eep.

I probably could live in the Central Valley, but it's truly hell there. Guess the heat would bother me a lot less than in days of old. But the stench? Horrid.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

6. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

I could never afford to buy a house here, or even an apartment.

I live in my mother's house which is built on a small plot which was the garden of an older house which was owned by several generations of my family. I've lived elsewhere at various times.

The house cost my parents £5000 to build in the 1960s, and that was the absolute maximum they could borrow. The house was cut back to the bare minimum, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to afford it. The house would now sell for £600,000.

A one bed apartment here costs about £200,000 and would be nothing you could show-off about. £300,000 for a one bed you might actually want to live in.
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Hell o Danrok!

I used the Google on my self..here's where I'll be. Sorry the Google won't show my trailer.
    I hear you Danrok! A year ago I would have never imagine what is happening to rents. I live way out in the sticks now. New place is in Bear and Elk country and you have to bring your own trailer.

So glad you found shelter in your mom's house! It's bitch to be priced out of your own home town!!

Thank you George, I now have all I need to silence any complaint I have about living in a trailer.

White River.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.157385,-121.6591551,126m/data=!3m1!1e3

Greenwater
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.1551372,-121.6528367,494m/data=!3m1!1e3

Clearwater trailer park
    https://www.google.com/maps/@47.157...4!1siPXSiu-lGAQAtyzKrKnOWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    George...We don't have to do shit we don't want to...We're RETIRED dude!!":O}
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    It's been a while since we talked of these things. What's keeping you busy these days?

What brought inflation your way? Or... Why are you so popular now that you can't afford a decent life and dwelling for yourself? (on your own I mean.)

We had better get a hold on those in power or we are all screwed!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I understand that the Channel Isles are tax havens and that actually living there costs a LOT. Come to think of it do you know how housing where you are compares to nice sections of London? I have no idea, but I know that London is very expensive. As well as New York and San Fransicle.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

True, but it's pretty easy to feel worthless if you have nothing to accomplish. I'm slowly falling apart, physically speaking, brain seems to be still good--but maybe I'm kidding myself?
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

We are being dragged underwater by the thing in the Honky House. Don't need a straw to breathe yet but those bahstages are surely working on it!
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Five thousand quid was a LOT of money in the Sixties. I lived in Britain in the late sixties, a pound bought a LOT. Can't remember ever having a Fiver in my wallet, one pound notes were good enough.
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    All the universe cares about is that you struggle to reduces your faults and increase in virtue.
    Outward success and failure are secondary considerations largely dependent upon external factors.

As I recently learned the Coast guard has a saying concerning rescue in a storm.
    As clear and short a statement of duty in time of danger as I have ever heard
    "We have to go out, we don't have to come back in. But we have to go out."

Just keep launching your boat every day in all weathers. One day you won't return to shore, it will be more than you have in you. That's the the deal. We have to go out, we don't have to come back.
  15. danrok

Tax havens for corporations, not for the locals. Ironically, it is very difficult for someone who lives here to avoid tax.

Not quite as expensive as central London, but not far off.

The difference, however, is that you can have a well paid job in London but not live there. I used to live just outside London, and it was only a 30 mins train ride to Euston station. Although, train tickets aren't cheap.

In Jersey, you have no choice, you have to live here if you work here. Impossible to commute to an island, and there is no cheap housing area.
  16. danrok

Yes, it was and that was the maximum they could borrow via a government guaranteed mortgage.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Cheer up Danrock! Some day you will have your very own... trailer! LOL
    Actually Patti and I welcome this. Smaller footprint also seems to mean, at least for us, fewer worries about money. A lot fewer.

`But I understand things may not be so simple for others. We simply have ceased to harbor ambitions much beyond the desire to be left alone by all the distractions and worries of modern life. For us participation in the "Dream" has never payed off and left us feeling cold and alone.

Have I considered starting a revolution? Yes but soon realized that leading a revolution is not for everyone.":O}
    Can you see a better situation down the road? Is there in any movement among the natives to preserve your collective home?
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I didn't know that it was only a tax haven for only those beloved corporations. Sigh. Starting a revolution is a nice dream, but for me I don't have the gumption. Or the courage, tbh. We are so well surveilled that dreaming is about all I can pull off. And I usually have bad to terrible dreams, ugh.
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm glad they did pull it off!
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Revolution comes in it's own time.When it does everything goes ass over end and there no telling who or how will get caught up in it. ":O}