1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel hit with 32 lawsuits over security flaws

Discussion in 'News' started by ThunderRd, Feb 17, 2018.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by ThunderRd, Feb 17, 2018.

1. cloasters
  2. cloasters
    Lord knows that Intel wanted to do good. As directed by the powers that be. No way dude! Believe that if you wish. So far AMD doesn't seem to be free of some of the problems. Doubt that AMD isn't a one hundred percent American corporation. "Corporation" says it all. A legal person with no responsibility to do anything ethical.
    Hopefully AMD is at least relatively innocent about this added snoop and hack ability. We can but hope!

Apologies the post afore this one didn't show up in time.
  3. Gizmo
    Most of this falls under the heading of 'shit happens' IMO. What I mean by that is, yes, there's a bug in the design of the processor, to the extent that it allows bad actors to access data that it shouldn't, but IMO, there are FAR more serious problems out there (like the rowhammer vulnerability). Complex systems are going to have flaws. We try to do what we can to mitigate those flaws, but as systems become more complex, so do their flaws. It's only a matter of time before someone figures out how to exploit it.

Think of it this way: I hire someone to build a house for me. They put in a big thick door, with a nice heavy duty lock, bars over the windows, and someone breaks in by literally going through the wall. Is that the fault of the lock? Is it the fault of the door? Of the manufacturer of the wall materials? Of the contractor who built the house? Of the architect who designed it?

There are ALWAYS ways for someone to break a system, if they are determined enough to find them.

Where Intel gets in hot water is the fact that they have apparently been aware of this since June, and didn't say anything until January. More damning, their CEO sold something like 24 million dollars worth of stock and options, the SAME DAY they disclosed the vulnerability to select partners, keeping only the minimum 250,000 shares required by Intel's bylaws. In addition to that, they told the CHINESE before they told our OWN GOVERNMENT.

The way Intel have handled this whole thing reeks.

What REALLY torques me off about this whole deal, though, is that while Intel's stock took a short-term hit after the disclosure, it has already rebounded. Why? Because the stock market sees this as an OPPORTUNITY for Intel to MAKE MORE MONEY. After, those CPUs that are affected by the vulnerability are now going to have to be replaced. That means more sales for Intel.

It makes me want to start pouring boiling oil on certain people. It seems like the money folks have given ZERO consideration to the consequences of their actions.
  4. cloasters
    Arrgh, those well-reasoned opinions. Some folks just insist on a higher truth than comes naturally to this, ahem, idiot.

You point out the truly evil things that our friend Intel has done regarding these security holes. Oh, those Money People. IMO, they renounce all claims to goodness and even basic humanity when they decide that money is everything.

Thank you for your well thought out opinion, Gizmo!
  5. Kaitain
    This should hardly be a surprise, though. Intel's in a pool of 3 companies making x86, and nobody's really going to move architecture and port everything they use just 'cos of one messed up bit of PR.
  6. Gizmo
    I realize this. Still, it is morally repugnant to effectively reward someone for making a series of bad decisions.

I would dearly love to see AMD capitalize on all of this, but historically AMD has been a rather erratic performer.
  7. porporme
    I would like to see that as well-but that is just a feeling-not anything practical. We know companies aren't going to call AMD and and want them to take charge.
    I'll wager that some companies won't do anything at all as this is a delay problem for then. As long as they don't get attacked no expense necessary. If they do-its Intels fault. Business as usual.IMO that's the main issue here.It's all business as usual.
    They say that the rich are different than the rest of us.Greed is strong motivator.You need to be exceptionally greedy just to climb the corporate ladder.Not something I can relate to-thank goodness.