1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Borderlands 2 an observation.

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    This is a game I have played though twice. I have obviously enjoyed it enough to over look any short comings. But I Do find it falling short in two related ways. Both really really bug me.
    They lessen enjoyment considerably.

The first is in the way weapons lose their potency. Where 5 mins before in the game I can drop a whatever with a single well placed shot to the head, I now encounter his twin brother, except I can empty 3 mags into his left ear just in time for him to kill me!!

Such weapons make mockery of strategy and tactics. And this happens all the time!

The second one is related. Hey I hate Handsome Jack as much as anyone...But a 5 hour marathon that really has almost nothing to do with fun to get the job done I find annoying.

And we find this repeatedly, with Blood wing the vault and several other major missions.
    One is stuck pouring endless round of ammo into an impervious monster. I feel like I'm hunting elephants with a BB gun, but like the rest of the game, mostly so I endure it, very bored and very frustrated.

Ah! there is one more defect in my well considered frustration.

After spending hours killing jack I save the game exhausted. Only to find that unbelievably it didn't save!!! IT DIDN'T SAVE!!!

If I want to maintain continuity, i have to do it all again.

Do others see this as a draw back to their enjoyment of this game?
    booman likes this.
  2. Daniel~

Home page:
    hey others, I'm talking to you!
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Don't play the game myself. My son plays it some, but I've not heard him complain.
  4. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Hi Boss, don't know it, never played it, either.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm playing through Borderlands 2 right now with my oldest daughter.
    WE LOVE IT!

We experience the exact same issues....
    The problem with 100's of modular weapons is that you will get a new super powerful gun, but as you level up and go to new areas, its totally useless!

I have found a few tricks...
    • If they have armor - use corrosion weapons
    • If its a badass miniboss - use rockets
    • Slag Em! Hit em with a slag pistol, then finish them off with explosive weapons or shotguns

Borderlands 2 can get pretty frustrating because ammo costs money unless you loot it, but I never seem to need the loot as I'm always buying more ammo. Chicken-n-Egg!

Also, we try to do the lowest level quests first. They are easier because your character should be about 2 levels higher than the current quest. Otherwise you loose all of your ammo shooting them down and having to purchase more.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ask him how long it took him to kill the warrior in the Vault of the warrior mission?
    be gentle if he starts to cry...if he killed the warrior he's been though a lot!

Gizmo:. people who have been shamed by their game will seldom seek help! We must seek them out in the solitude to which they have withdrawn if we wish to aid them.":O}
  7. Daniel~

Home page:

I salute yours and your Daughter's astuteness! Your strategy and tactics are flawless... but as we know your still going to get your ass kicked.

Once you complete B2 you can...if you have truly suicidal tastes in games, you can sign up for a more sadistically advanced game. Here I am a bit uncertain...I bought the two main upgrades or add-ons from the PS3 store. They seem worth it, but this game is just SOOOO darn big it's hard to say somethings is new or just previously over looked/

Your much much more experienced than I, Does this game seem to be twice as big as any game you've played before? I can't think of a bigger bang for my buck.

So I just hit level 51 for the third time...I usually play for about two hours but I'm in the "Vault of the warrior"

Where you pour every bullet, nade and rocket in existence into it's molten wounds. So I'm, putting in three even our hors a day to bring the beast to reason. I'm in my sixth or seventh day.

I've learned a thing or two about taking the dragon down, but nothing seems to shorten the time it takes to do so..

Be sure you have as powerful a machine gun as you can find. Same same for rocket launcher and a shot gun.
    Alternate shot gun and machine gun. Aim exclusively at his Arm pits and chest until lava white hot pours from his wounds. THEN hit him with nades and rockets,

But the best thing I can tell you is this. You fight the dragon face to face, not from afar!!

There are 4 or 5 places where you can stand right next to him and pour ammo into it's lave bleeding wounds until the Great beast changes position, each of his stand and fight positions has a spot you can stand. I'm quite sure you will be just dying to find them, they are critical to shortening your time in reload and empty so you can reload purgatory....

If your playing as a commando with a gun kit use her to keep everyone off you while you get acquainted with the beast. Your gun kit WON'T fire on the beast, just his pals.

This is not the end, this only establishes the routine.
    Try to remember that it's not you it's them!! LOL

The first time or two I was plagued by the thought that I must be missing something. They can't really think i'm having a good time after the fifth day!!

Be such is life, one must take the bad with the good and the Dragon is truly beautiful! ":O}

Thanks for responding guys!
  8. booman

Home page:
    Yes, we beat the game and then started over in Vault Hunter Mode!
    Its funner, has more enemies and harder enemies... but also has stronger weapons, shields, grenades and stuff.

I actually purchased a rocket launcher at 36K damage for $140,000.00 and its almost useless against bosses.

The trick to winning is: Grinding

Your character has to be at least 2-3 levels above the enemies or its impossible. Even if you survive, you end up wasting all of your money on ammo because each minion takes 300 rounds to kill.

Other than that, we love to wait for Varkids to burrow in pods and then level up to "badass" mode! Even the Goliath's are fun to shoot off their helmet and watch them get ANGRY! Then every minion they kill turns them into "badass" Goliath's
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Right now I'm in Vault of the warrior hell! I'm at LV.51 dragon at 52.
    Oh! Oh!

Have you noticed that in critical moments your controller occasionally stalls. That is ignores your first few presses just long enough to get you killed? I noticed it most when trying for a fast get away.

How old is your child? Little girls can be such charming little nightmares for a father to deal with.
    Poor Boo! The boys are coming! the boys are coming! LOL

If you or she have any tips on dispatching the Dragonlet me know.

I still can't quite believe it takes days perhaps even weeks to kill that mother of all level 52 evil!?
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    As much as I hate to speak ill of Marcus I find that if I buy a weapon or shield For twenty thousand I'm lucky if it's worth 10 thousand once I get it. I try hard not to pay for weapons or ammo or even shields.

But as you mentioned a level like the vault of the warrior has me selling everything I don't need to take the dragon down.

Don't you feel like crying in gratitude when the supply boxes give you rockets? LOL
  11. booman

Home page:
    We haven't reached the final Dragon in Vault Hunter Mode yet.
    We are still Level 42 at the Robot Boss! Herman I think...

She's 10 years old... I know, I know... there is a bit of swearing in Borderlands, but at least I was able to turn off the gore.
    I have no one else to play Borderlands series with...

No tips except do all the side quests and some grinding to level up.
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    This one is a winner. can be had quite cheaply now. Available in PS3 and computer. It is fun and at times very funny. If you enjoy games this may be for you. Might even be something for you and your son to do.

Thanks for replying, replying can be very hard when one has nothing to say .LOL
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Yeah, Jacks super bot is a pain as well. Just keep knocking down the flying repair bots and calling Herman names, he hates that! LOL

I did wonder about having the very young play this game, then I remembered that it comes with parental censor options.

I could have really used a Dad like you in my younger years.
    Well done Booman.
  14. booman

Home page:
    No problem Daniel!

I've actually played Borderlands 2 with friends on a LAN. 4 player is even fun-er!
    Its great when each of us use our abilities and spread out to flank enemies and hordes.

One of my favorites games!

I've seen video's of Warframe and it looks pretty fun as well. Its free-to-play and quite difficult to get running in PlayOnLinux. Some day I'll do a guide if I can get it to run.

Also Battleborn (Full Upgrade) has a co-operative story mode and was made by Borderlands developers. Looks pretty dang fun as well!