1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After 10 years, I finally got a new keyboard!

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, May 27, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I simply replaced it with another just like it.

I'm in love with the Logitech Ultra slim illuminated keyboard.

It's feather weight EVERYTHING is illuminated...and durable if not abused. Really clean sharp key strokes that never leave you in doubt as to weather you pressed hard enough and a light press gets it done..I guess the name says it all.

But if you have to type in bed or from a couch this is about as easy to manage as I've found. My one objection is the unnecessary included "Caps Lock key"
    Which for now I will leave intact..it's just to beautiful to remove...for now...

5 star recommendation.":O}
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

And to think I settled for a brand x Keytronic keyboard. It was cheap, after spending more than absolutely necessary for my latest, err, two year old machine I cheeped out on keyboard and mouse. Both work fine though, death to wireless keyboards and mice. And I need flat sided keyboards to fit my "computer desk," it is to laugh. Curves on keyboards, didn't Microshat introduce them? Forsooth! Whatever that really means.

Your keyboard certainly sounds nice!
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Microsoft introduced the curved keyboard, but they weren't the ones to start the whole 'ergonomic keyboard' hype. As far as I know, the Knesis Model 100 was the first one.

In any case, as far as I can tell, the 'ergonomic keyboard' is pretty much designed to separate gullible people from their money. There is essentially zero evidence that anything other than a custom-fit keyboard is of any benefit. It seems that all of the studies extolling the virtues of the mass-market 'ergoboards' are primarily paid for by the companies doing the marketing.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    off topic!
    I have to login every-time I open GOL up!!
    Please fix or me cry!!":O}
  5. Gizmo

Home page:
    I honestly have no idea. I always login, because I'm paranoid. LOL
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    You right George! Death to wireless and their battery leaking plague carrying war mongering ergonomic wrist busting finger breaking cap lock keys!!

Be good to you George! You two Gizmo.I know it's really hard to pick a keyboard you will be happy with for at least several years. Truth is I just got lucky! After a half dozen keyboards I hated I found this one.

A picture seem to be in order...notice the nice flat and square edges... Screenshot from 2018-05-30 11-38-29.png Screenshot from 2018-05-30 11-37-32.png
    Other than the cap lock key it has but one weakness, it's cord must carefully handled. My old ones (2) Patti has one or had one. never actually broke or came off but they got twitchy,had to tape them to the board to stay connected.

OH! One must be careful when cleaning the keys. As you clean the keys of course sink. Unfortunately this allows the edge of the next key to get hooked in your cloth and they will pop off! This is probably it's worst feature. But if your aware of it the pop off can be avoided by cleaning each key one at a time.

Logitech has been making these for at lest ten years and thankfully haven't changed a thing as far as I can tell. Nor has the price come down as they usually do, still $70 bucks darn it!

If you can get a feel or look at one of these in a store...I think you will fall in love! You may decide it's not quite for you, but you will fall in love! ":O}

Sorry about the pictures. My picture taker won't let me just take a picture of what I want, it's all or nothing now.":O{
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    I always login because I HAVE TO ! You have no idea how unwelcome it makes me feel! LOL
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That's a mighty fine looking keyboard. I must say. But $70? Heavens!
    Thanks for the cleaning tip. I use canned air every day on my cheapo keyboard, I think it helps.
    And this thing isn't precisely straight edged on its top. Always something.
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    You want me to pass my desk and get my guts cut out!!!??? Of course they are rounded or I'd be dead!
    Sometimes I wonder if you really have my best interests at heart!

Maybe I'm a touch over protective of my keyboard, after all it does have a caps lock key.
    I'll take your observation under advisement George. ":O}
  10. Gizmo

Home page:
    What exactly are you setting to automatically login?
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    Big 'ol ugly thing of a sign in I must say! ":O}
  13. Gizmo

Home page:
    Are you clicking the 'Stay logged in' checkbox?
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    Oh you'd just love that wouldn't you! You could sleep soundly knowing there is at lest one person in the world you can reasonably ask that question of!

Ok, you found me. But on this occasion and every freaking time I leave my browser unattended for an unspecified length of time it wants me to re-login. And I swear it already knows I want to stay logged in...It just asks me to rub it in knowing full well I will be unable to pass up a chance that this time checking the box will mean something, besides being able to humble a meat suit...ya know simple code didn't use to hold grudges

So yessss I checked your precious prestigious box and I expect it to stay checked...for at lest a week!!!
  15. Gizmo

Home page:
    If it doesn't, I really don't know what to say, because it works for me.

I notice that Firefox thinks there is something wrong with our certificate (the little lock icon with the slash through it next to our URL). I wonder if that could be related?

I know for a fact that there is nothing wrong with our cert, and both Chrome and FF show it as green for me. Makes me wonder if you've got a stale cert in your cache.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    How do I clear my cache?
  17. Gizmo

Home page:
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'll have to put this off for a week. Patti has a bunch of stuff being shipped from a bunch of places and my browser history is how I'm keeping tract of the sites. The mail dust up should be over within a week..

She worked herself like a dog to get the trailer parts we thought we needed.

"Funny story"

We went all winter heating water in a kettle to wash with. She puts together enough money that we are sure we can finish what we start. Trailer hot water heaters are expensive!

So I say to her just before she's off to buy, "Have you asked Ro (Short for Romona)
    to take a look and tell you what you need, what will fit....

So after months of preparation she finally asks the one person who always knows what's what in trailers, a lifer.
    Ro brings wes her husband. Along with two of our neighbors who were helping us move trailer to become more riverfied, all standing peering into a dark square hole. Wes pulls out an extended lighter, tries the pilot light.

He turns to me and asks if the switch is flipped in the trailer. I tell him

"I know nothing!"
    Ro takes a deep breath summing her patience I think and takes me by the arm and all 5 ft of her drags my ass around the front and into the trailer. We stand by our sink where all our tank meters are located.

She ignores the switch panel facing us and cranes her neck to look around me at the side of the cabinet where one big ugly red indicator light and switch.

"Have you tried that?"

"Not knowing what it does I was afraid to."

"Push it"
    I do so and it turns a fearsome RED!

Now she looks at our switch panel...There a small green light on. she pushes it and the red monster dies before my very eyes,

"Hit it Wes!"

We wait a second and then our perfectly functioning hot water heater re-entered service,
    Boy did we feel silly...and grubby.

I guess I should add that most of the winter we used a "Mr.Heater" a small propane heater which worked quite well. But one day while dusting I disturbed the settings on the trailers thermostat. A day or so later when the night time temp dropped before we got around to lighting Mr Heater our forced air gas heater started up all by herself.

Why Did we assume they were non functioning? I think the biggest thing was that we only paid 4600.00 for it and it was clean and had very few dents for it's age. We just assumed that after 40 years they....

The next biggest thing is that we knew nothing about trailers and Patti never does as I ask, So Wes and Ro came late into the game,
    Yes that's right I blame Patti, because she not here to defend herself and that's the way I like it! LOL
  19. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

My 12 year old keyboard is still going strong. Made from a lump of aluminium.
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That's one long lived keyboard! Do you take care of it extremely well or are you simply very lucky?