1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which ever way the wind blows

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    You never really know do ya?
    I mean we peer and try to peek into the future, we calculate odds
    and often when evidence is thin try to shape what is to come.

But sometimes, rarely I'll admit, something comes along we entirely did not see as a real possibility.
    I've written a bit about Clear water campground and I'm sure a few were justified to think that perhaps I was slipping into a romantic view of this place,

As you know from past posts We moved into a 28ft 30 year old trailer, which in the fullness of time we come to know the the $4600 we paid was roughly twice to much.

Patti and I were just coming to the point that we had to except this unpleasant fact as were counting on the investment act as a down, when sold, upon a better trailer.

The problem there is we will have to save for several years to get into the 25 to 30 thousand range, for a bigger and newer trailer.

This is what happened today.

The Mighty Row informed Patti that she was trying to get permitted to move into her trailer spot a permanent single wide with a foundation rather than wheels. The process will probably take several months.

If they deny her a permit she is going to buy a 54 foot trailer...She WANTS more room. (She has since decided up the larger trailer with wheels.)
    Today she offered Patti and I her 2014 Keystone outback Sydney 36 ft trailer with four push-outs and a top of the line interior package. We have lusted after her OutBack since err we ever set eyes upon it.

So we went home ran the numbers of what we could afford on just our Social security. We been tight all our lives until we moved here.We don't want to live like that again, squeezing every penny.

Went online to price compare. a 2014 with standard package goes from 20 to 25 thou.
    We had hoped to save that amount over the next 3-5 years. As borrowing is not i the picture. So we were just going to tough it out until we could afford better.

So we said thanks but we can't come up with cash or financing.

The Mighty Row offered us free financing with no down, no interest at 250 month. well within our budget. 25,000 Total.The price one would ext to pay for an average Sydney. Her's is a far walkabout from average. Hers will happen in the next 3 or 4 months. But mostly we won't be hampered in our effort to save by having to put money into our current trailer for the next 3-4 years, while it continues to lose in value.

Boys this a 5 year old trailer that has sit in it's present spot since it was delivered!

Row says to expect a two three month delay while she squares her deal and buys a 54 footer (What a monster trailer!!)

She has had Greg, camp "Go ask Greg" Guy to swear he will be here as he is the only one here that can jump into some else's cab and park it as she wants it parked.
    (No you can't have the delivery guy do it. He might have been delivering tomatoes last week. As I they are delicate and you have to know what you are doing.

Pictured below is a 2011 but the 2013 is a continued model from 2011 with few if any changes.
    Hey even I can get lucky!! LOL

2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't understand about the space that my be changed to fit a 54 footer and I don't understand how that bears upon your present sitch. To say that space is at a premium is a large understatement.

Sorry to learn that your present trailer was overpriced. There is something cool about not paying a LOT of rent every month for a small apartment. I doubt that I could afford a condo anywhere near the West coast. I don't like them anyway. It seems that they are NEVER yours and yours alone. And what happens if you get a bummer of a neighbor?

Thank you for posting your latest sit rep about your real estate adventures.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm not sure what your not sure about, but let's see if I can guess.
    Our benefactor Row has a soon to be our trailer. it currently sits at dead center of a figure 8 trailer camp set up.
    We have a few folks here that have to bug Row about every little thing every day and then sit around taking up space and driving poor Row just a little bit crazy!

So she wants a relatively large abode that has two doors. One for her and her hubby the other for all of those with problems for Row to solve.
    The camp does not limit the size of a trailer. But she would like a single wide (not a travel trailer) but a permeate prefab home.She has applied for a permit to install it in our park...that's in process as of now.

But she has no way of knowing if t will be approved. Though we be far from everything we are (Thankfully)
    tightly regulated as to what we can do so close to Green river.

So Row being the mighty person she is has a back-up plan. If they say no She has a 54 foot trailer in mind.
    I don't think she is going to buy The power plant as they cost more than the trailer, so she'll have it delivered.

Does any of this help you my friend?
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    As to our current trailer. Worn but still serviceable. Patti and I have been trying to decide what to do for and with it.
    There are several people who have real junkers and are even more limited than we when it comes to cash or credit.If we had not found this place we were looking at 2700 a month, cheapest rent we could find.
    So every month we have been here has saved up appox. 2200 bucks... If we could have afford it.

Unfortunately none of our neighbors can afford even a slight increase in rent.

We aren't the kind of people who can stick it to the next guy to recoup our losses on our trailer..
    We would have to put a thousand into it to sell it for two thousand, and that' not considering the butt load of work we would also need to do.

The mighty Row has given us a very sweet deal, more much more than enough to see our way clear to passing as lease some of it along to someone who gave us good deal of help when we first arrived with nothing but a trailer and fist full of hope.

So when everything pulls together We will probably give it to Rick our neighbor who now lives in a wreck
    of a 15 foot motor coach.
    But we will wait to mention this to Rick until we can make certain our plans.
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    You know it's strange as in unusual, but I have never been able to feel bad about having paid twice to much for the trailer.

The Owner like ourselves was in desperate straights. His wife had a serious enough malady that her doctors wanted to ship her to John Hopkins, he was selling anything he could to raise the money for her trip.

We were desperate to find any place we could shelter in.
    We both got we needed.

Money shouldn't be the only measure of a successful transaction. Having this trailer has saved us more money than we paid for it. With any luck His wife is fully recovered from her debilitating condition. Every time the poor woman raised her arms above her chest her head would explode in Migraine head pain that lasted days

Also....She is a loom artist, Patti who knows about these things said her work is exceptional.
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm glad to learn that buying your present home benefited all concerned! What I don't know is about the process of buying (on a ten year repayment plan) a "new" trailer and how that has in impact on your friend who wants a new single-wide?

I'm not trying to be nosy I'm just not clear about your moving to a better trailer. I'm for it!

Heyeck, I'm not clear about a plethora of things. No real need to explain if you don't want to.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ok Row owns and currently lives in the trailer we are going to buy. We are going to buy it as Row is herself buying a new much larger 54 ft trailer. We will move Rows Old trailer, ie our new trailer into our current spot. We are giving Rick our old trailer as he's been very helpful and very much needs a better living situation.

At last a trickle down economy that actually works. ":O}
    We are going from a 30 year old 28 foot trailer without slide outs to a 5 year old 36 foot with two 10 foot wide and two 5 foot wide slide outs.

In terms of trailers this is a massive increase in size and quality.

OOH OOH!

I finally saw 5 Elk! one was no more than 6 feet her nose to mine. I was in bed and looked out my open window. I wanted them to hang with me a while so I started whispering to them exactly how I felt about their miraculous self's

So we chatted around a hour and a half as they grazed our crop of snow and what lies below. Yesterday was a red letter day for me! ":O}
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Ah, so. Thank you for your nice explanation! It all makes sense now and giving your present trailer to someone who needs and deserves it rocks. "Row" strikes me as an unusual name, so she will hopefully have a "new" space for her non camping trailer in your old same park?

5 Elk?! And you actually talked to them? For an hour and a half??! Sheesh Dan, please don't go ALL native on us!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

If you have a choice the Montana brand looks like a winner!
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    Montana was discontinued, don't know why.
    But it's a Keystone and is the same basic build as mine. Same construction though out.

The Montana Had a more high end build out, but basically that is just better quality appliances. furniture and trim .

The Sydney's Alpine package is identical to the Montana's arctic package. I "think" the only real difference is that the Montana's standard package Included things only available in the Sydney with upgrade packages...

The Mighty Row bought the upgrade packages. So effectively I'm getting a Sydney equipped with the goodie usually reserved for the Montana.

But yeah the Montana was my dream trailer. But George the trailer market is very much the Wild west!

A one year warranty on a $90,000 trailer that ONLY covers the running gear and lamination...is not awe inspiring! When you buy new, you get a laundry basket FULL of warranties for every separate thing you trailer contains. From Refrigerator to Microwave to the the TV and stereo. You have to chase down the manufacturer yourself and get them to honor the warranty.

It gets worse They often leak like a sieve when first delivered.
    I read of a guy who bought a 42 foot coach, top of the line at $250, 000.
    A he drove it home it started to rain.
    Water poured in from all around the Windshield Soaking everything in the drivers cab area.

One must re caulk EVERY year all the seams. Push outs are the pits when it comes to Leaks.
    Right now Row/my trailer has but one tiny leak easy to fix. But as we are going to being moving it a whole One hundred and fifty feet we all expect a few more leaks.

Almost all leaks are an easy fix. BUT!

If not fixed right away it can really damage a trailer., damage that can run into the thousands to fix.
    Rain is what kills most trailers well before their time.

These juggernauts are delicate The manufactures don't tell you but you soon learn when not in use, with no one inside to keep a weather eye on things...They want you to store your 12.3 feet high and 38 feet long trailer in a garage... Is why you can but used ones so cheap. One bad rain left to it self can put your $100,000 dollar trailer on the scrap heap.

They simply HAVE to be maintained. Is why we are so grateful to be taking over Rows trailer. It has been constantly occupied and meticulously maintained, no water spots or stains anywhere.
    Although occupied, it's has around 100 miles on it from an RV dealer to Clear-water.

No road damage or dings in the Fiberglas shell. The Son of a B looks brand new!!

YEA for my side!! LOL
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    was told by one who knows that Montana model by Keystone was discontinued.
    Well they must have resumed the model!

I think I was mislead, What is actually is being shown is a 32 foot Montana that has been redesigned by the owner....I think! ":O}
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Sorry George I can't read most of your post...I can't get the GD Elk to move over a bit. They pig all guacamole to!!

Row is short for Ramona. A name I find quite beautiful... But Row hates it for some reason So Row it is!! ":O}

Row will keep her same spot. sell me her trailer, move the new one in. I too will keep my same spot moving my old trailer into Ricks Spot. Rick' old coach will be removed to the junk yard that awaits all trailers in time. Unless I can get Patti to bury me in it.":O}
  14. Daniel~

Home page:
    In Ford terms I'm ditching a very old a pinto and getting a new Galaxy.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm wrong it IS a 2018 but the owner is doing his own upgrades.

16. Daniel~

Home page:
    Sorry about all the RV films, but I can't see them unless I put them here. You tube won't let me play them until I move them here.

17. Daniel~

Home page:
    We still have snow on the ground, knee high or well over that in a lot of places. Nobody ventures out of our trenches that circle our trailers then connect us all up so we can get to each other...when we need to.

Every one still occasionally falls down in the trench, the bottom of which is compacted snow, very slippery kind of snow.The dynamics of falling in snow are kinda interesting. Once you start to fall you instinctively stick out one or more arms the break your fall. But in snow that just buries your arm to the pits. So then you retract your arm and try another spot to push your self up. once more to the pits dear friends!

Then you roll over to your back without realizing that you have always used your arms as well as your legs to get up. Arms bury themselves to the pits, but this time beside or behind you.

I managed to do a complete circle like a mad broken merry go round starting and stopping, rising and falling after each plunge though the snow.

Why do I bring this up now... well it's snowing again, coming down pretty heavy... ah in case you don't know it's white and cold, looks like cotton which is neither cold nor related directly to snow...

You guys probably already knew that...sorry.

Our trenches are dug to our generator so we can reach it to plug in and turn it on as needed. Our tralers sit in an broken and uneven circle around the Genny.

The snowing is constant now, but varies from a fine frozen mist to the aforementioned cotton balls.

So communication between us has just entered the iffy zone.

I find myself day dreaming not of better weather but of a better trailer.":O}
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Mebbe you might invest in a couple of ski poles? They'll help with balance on all of that slippery stuff. Maybe even snow shoes? Skis? Oh no, you need expensive accessories like ski boots to go with skis.

As my favorite former GF used to say, "Huh BRR!" All of the snow is well gone here in lowlandville. Some freezing and just above freezing nights to enjoy 10 days into the future. Sheet! I seriously doubt that this much freezing has happened here in living memory. Once that massive amount of imported Arctic air cuts into you lookout below.

So.. you are enchoying your most serious winter weather? I think we shouldn't complain too loudly, the Land o' Dixie is being hammered with floods and mudslides. Ugh, I hope that 250 foot tall tsunamis don't get to us in Seattle. If so it's buh-bye for me.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Amazing! So REAL expensive brand new movable abodes can be a big let down just a few feet away from the dealership? Who knew? What an terrible sitch! I'm sure that the Chamber of Commerce will get to fixing this any second now! Crickets.

Do they have professional appraisers of RV's? Like they do for stationary houses? Sounds like having one in your corner would be a very wise investment.

I sincerely hope that you get to move into such a better and BIGGER place! Maybe your friend Row didn't like the Ramona series that was originally on PBS?
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Pinto to Galaxie--who can argue with step-up like that? I imagine there's someone somewhere who pines for their old Pinto. Who? Like hen's teeth maybe?