1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Items of a passing interest...

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Feb 22, 2019.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Dickens, what a great, great writer. Undoubtedly he's a tough read in the present, 170 years and one ocean ago.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Time for me to pull a George on you!
    Great writer, shit head of a human being. But brought his numerous children up to disrespect their own mother.
    It's a complex story and I confess I can't recall this in detail, but he was a shameless shit to his wife and taught the kids to be as well. Poor woman!!
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What a tragedy! I didn't know that Charles Dickens was a shit to his own family, what a miserable person. Ttbmk, Mark Twain spent a lot of money to support the inventor of an automatic typesetting machine that never worked. This necessitated a lot of misery to his own family and himself. Don't know if this was as bad as Dickens' crime against his own family, but I really doubt it.
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    As far as I know Mr Clements was a kind and noble father and husband who sought to make life better by the way he lived it. Mt Dickens sought to make HIS life better at the very great expedience to his poor wife.

It boggles my mind that one so sensitive to the injustices of his own youth was so callously unjust to his own wife,
    A woman of great heart and loving disposition.
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Extremely good point, less than good human beings pass the crap they were dealt to the present and future. Hello Dad! What a dichotomy-- a real rough childhood that taught him to reveal the injustices forced upon the powerless---and being a total sh*t to his wife, and children. Did he treat himself very kindly and generously? If so it seems unfair to celebrate his writing.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    Dickens had a monstrous childhood. Even in his later years he could not bring himself to speak of it.
    Many of our greatest artists are or were very troubled people. It seems to go with the territory.
    Dickens treatment of his wife was unusually cruel and completely unnecessary.He came to feel that she was beneath him and taught his children who adored him that she was beneath them as well.

At his insistence she ended up in a separate residence uninvited by the children she bore and raised to love their father.
    I do remember wishing I could punch him in his stuck up nose when I learned of this.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Crikey, one bad apple he was!
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    No doubt a bad one. But consider. Dickens was first published in newspapers as a serial.

Dickens was the first writer whose writings ever changed anything. London went from total indifference to the plight of children who were small so could be forced down a three or four story smoke stacks to clean them.

They were often suffocated in those brick death traps. After Dickens hundreds of laws were passed
    Among them the first child labor laws. In short for all his failure as a husband his work actually created a far more livable environment for children.

How can such a man be judged?

"In Gods hands."

Now New York has a story to tell us of child labor laws. I hope I'll be forgiven if I forget her name but remember her deeds.

Having failed in every way to get legislators to pass protective laws for children.
    She hit upon a way to get it done.

She went to court and sued to have children placed under the animal protection laws.
    That's right animals had better protection than our kids. New York first protected children as Animals. The only way she cuold get this done.

Humanities indifference to the good has been well documented. We climb that hill but slowly and have much to regret and more to sorrow over.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you, I didn't recall that Dickens's writing actually promoted child labor laws. Less than two hundred years ago children were treated worse than dogs and people were treated as property.

What monsters we were. It should not be a surprise that dogs in Asia are beaten to death to tenderize them as food. Good lord humanity are truly monsters. Isn't it wonderful that those in power do their best to drag us backwards in history?

And worse, we allow them to.
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    Things change...

11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Why--this couldn't happen in America! We will eminent domain your obstructive ass and give you pennies on the dollar!
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Narita has only one runway? Who knew? I guess eminent domain doesn't always work. Whaaa!
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The guy in the yellow excavator obviously is too cool for school!
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    My guess is that life is just to long for some people and they go looking for something else to do,
    ":O}
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I see that using dynamite wouldn't work. Kudos to this guy!
  18. Daniel~

Home page:
    I kept thinking of the Orb spider, which led me to think of a convoluted argument I once had with myself.

45 to 1... That's one hell of a advantage gained. Notice the weak ass ropes he was able to use... Chain to secure it but only ropes to pull it.

I end of feeling more than a little stupid when I think on the guy who first figured this out!!
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Yeah, me too!
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    No doubt,
    Dickens ripped their cold hearts right out of their chests. Then demanded a decency he lacked before he would return them.
    May God praise and then forgive Dickens.