1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam on PlayOnLinux no longer working?

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Kladiator, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I am going to give it a try too, the changelog for 1.7.8 mentions that steam should work now.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wine 1.7.8 works for Steam
    Launches and logs in just fine.
    But now my Crysis 2 doesn't work and the guide is broken.
    I have to use a patched version of Wine for Crysis 2 to run and now it doesn't run at all.
    I'm concerned about the rest of my Steam guides, so I will start testing those too and make sure the games work with Wine 1.7.8
  3. Daerandin

Home page:
    I've tried the two Batman games, and they do work, but I get a little icon in the bottom left corner, and I need to force mouse warp override, otherwise the mouse simply will not capture. This makes it impossible to navigate menus in-game with the mouse, but they can just as easily be navigated with the keyboard. I will give the FEAR games a try as well later today, to check that they work and just update both guides to reflect the new wine version required. The Batman guide will also need a mention of the new minor issues.
  4. booman

Home page:
    That sucks, I have no idea why the Wine mouse override doesn't work.
    I stopped using that POL mouse override because of that exact reason. I've seen it force the mouse to stick right in the middle of the screen for some games.
    But you successfully tested in Wine 1.5.3 right?
    I wonder if the changes made to Wine 1.7.8 could be made to Wine 1.5.3?
    You might want to request it from POL Devs.
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    Yes things worked perfectly in 1.5.3, now there are some minor issues. However the menus are easily navigated by keyboard, I only have one specific side quest I am currently playing towards just to check that it works, because it depends on mouse movement on a special screen. As long as that works, I'll be updating my guide.

Oh and mouse being stuck in the middle of the screen, I get that now in Arkham Asylum during in game videos. This does not happen in Arkham City, just Arkham Asylum. However it seems a decent trade to be able to actually rotate completely in all directions in game.

Edit: Discovered one side quest that can't be completed with mouse warp override. I will have to look into possible workarounds or hopefully find other ways to get the mouse captured properly
  6. booman

Home page:
    That is not cool.
    I'm telling you, I have emailed PlayOnLinux developers to compile special versions of Wine and they have done it for me.
    Kinda sucks that we are forced to do this, but if its the only way to get a game running, then we have no choice.
    Otherwise, you can wait until the Steam fix is applied to the stable version of Wine and then test Batman with it.
  7. Daerandin

Home page:
    I have also emailed PlayOnLinux devs about this, hoping they are able to patch older wine versions. However, until such a time, or until a new wine version can handle these games better, I have managed to find a solution and am about to update the Batman guide now.
  8. booman

Home page:
    I see you found a work-around for now...
    As for my Crysis 2 guide... it only crashes.
    So I have it pending in the moderation queue.
    Oh well... nothing I can do about it for now.

I will test the rest of my Steam guides with Wine 1.7.8 after Christmas because I have several days off.
  9. Daerandin

Home page:
    Steam had another update today, which kind of broke one of my virtual drives. I tried starting Arkham Asylum, but after a couple of minutes at most it would crash, complaining about several missing dll's. I found out that everything works as it should as after I reinstalled the virtual drive, exactly as I had it.

I don't know if it was the Steam update that caused the crash, or if I was just a victim of a random break of a virtual drive. In any case, I figured I would mention it here in case it happens to anyone else. Simply set up the virtual drive again from scratch and you should be okay.
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    No, still crashing, seems to be a rather random crash. It did not happen before the update today. The error say "general protection fault", and provides a list of certain dll's. I think maybe this might be related to the new features in Steam, allowing sharing of game library and such and I suspect Steam have to check at times if you are playing a game from your game library, which would lock out anyone you might be sharing it with.

I decided to see if disabling the ptrace protection would help in this case. But since the crash seems random I can't know for sure unless I can play for some time without the crash.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    I would test tonight if I didn't have to re-install everything.
  12. Daerandin

Home page:
    Well I keep having this issue with all Steam games I have tested so far. It seems to be random, sometimes it does not occur at all. When it occurs, it will happen shortly after starting the game.

ptrace protection had no effect. However, I found a tip on winehq and so far things seem to work. The fix is simply to go to "configure wine" for the virtual drive, select the Library tab. Then add a library that you name "gameoverlayrenderer", then edit it to "disable". This will prevent the Steam overlay from working, but so far it seems my Steam games are working again without any crashing.

But I can't know for sure if this was caused by the Steam update, or some update on my system.
  13. booman

Home page:
    Post on the PlayOnLinux forums because maybe its a problem with 4.2.2
  14. Daerandin

Home page:
    The PlayOnLinux version should have no effect on Wine itself as PoL really is nothing more than a graphical front-end to setting up wine virtual drives. Besides, I would have noticed this sooner if it had anything to do with PoL. No most likely it was either the Steam update, or possibly the xorg update on Arch which happened yesterday.
  15. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice here.

I am a casual gamer (which means very bad) so I don't need to go online to play.
    Out of caution now I disable networking when I play games, so the Steam client can't get updated.

Does it make sense to try testing the new Steam update by creating a new wineprefix, installing Steam, let it update and finally copying the Steamapps folders from the other games so I don't risk to break anything which right now works?
  16. ChrisBondWindows

ChrisBondWindows Member

Steam was having issues on Windows 7 as well.
  17. Daerandin

Home page:
    @Kladiator
    That is a good way to go about it, however for a Steam update to break a virtual drive is very rare. Steam has been implementing some new features lately, which might explain it. But if nobody else has experienced the problem I mentioned, then most likely it is related to an update on my system.

I will be downgrading every package the updated in my system in the past two days, and test Steam again in wine to see if the problem is gone. If it is still there, then I know it was the Steam update that caused it. If the problem is gone, then I will update packages one at a time until I find the offending package.
  18. Daerandin

Home page:
    Okay, downgraded every package that had updated on my system since tuesday, rebooted and gave some Steam games a try without the "gameoverlayrenderer" fix, and I got a crash. So it would seem to be the Steam update. However, for all I know this might be some exotic issue on my system since I have not seen this reported anywhere else.
  19. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

On the usual sites I monitor nobody so far is reporting problems but they were not particularly quick when the same thing happened a little more than a month ago.
    I'll do my little test on the weekend and will post the result, but of course after Daerandin's report there is little doubt that something is wrong (again).
  20. booman

Home page:
    Daerandin, I will be installing Steam tomorrow and testing games this weekend.
    If it wasn't for my Mint 16 install I could have already tested a few games, but I'm almost there.

I havn't seen anything on the PlayOnLinux forums yet, but I'll keep checking.

I hope it isn't a Steam update because I'm already tired of it breaking Wine