1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fooling WinSteam

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by booman, Feb 11, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I still think I posted your reply in the wrong spot.
    You can copy/paste if you like.
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I'll just reply here. It seems like a good idea. If only for handling Steam games more efficiently. I happen to quite like PoL and personally don't have any problems with it. I am assuming your idea also allows to easily manage different wine versions as that is a functionality I consider very important.

I will definitely give it a try and see how it works when you feel it is ready for testing. And I will of course give you feedback.
  3. booman

Home page:
    Yes, please let us know what you find.
    I'll try it as well when I have time.
    I would love to just launch Steam a single time and then any installed game when I want to play.
    Linux Gamers will love this!
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Hey guys, I thought about it... let's say this past week and weekend (now) have been all about the project I've mentioned here.

I got most of the material I've wanted. I've been reading Xserver/SSH/WINE manuals to implement some cool stuff in the future and hopefully come up with the alpha version of it. I'm a bit excited since this will be my new contribution to the WINE community and linux gamers as whole. This project is still a hobby so I have no plan on going "serious" about it. (Plus I can't sacrifice a full time/part time job for an open source project... you know how it goes when it comes to marketing open source projects, harsh as hell)

So yea, that's what I've been doing. I don't know when I'll get the preview version ready but I'll let you know. Hopefully I'll buy a domain and do something about the hosting when the time comes.
  5. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    You at least have one tester, and if my time permits I might look into contributing in other ways as well.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Please keep us up to date.... I love your determination and excitement!
    I'm more than happy to test as well.
  7. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Hi

This is posible easy, only join steam beta first and after this you can add folder for installations in another drive

I using this because i need more space for installing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. booman

Home page:
    Thats cool, I didn't know you could install games in other folders other than SteamApps/Common
    What about Wine? Can you use different versions of Wine and libraries for each separate game?
  9. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Yes i join to steam beta for this (steam titles) and for older titles can work (i installed other games on program files folder on other hard drive)

Only have caution with some titles when locate space from / (this case refer when / size is minor with harddrive location ex: / size ex 7GB but your game installed ex blur ask 9.0GB, on this case you are must be enought space on your wine location and after this you can move folder to /media/yourhardrive/gamefolder)

Yes i use one version of wine vanilla for all games (steam and other titles)

:)