1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AppDB Comments Deleted?

Discussion in 'WINE' started by booman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Here is yet another example of my comments being deleted:
    My comments basically say that Hard Reset is playable and here info on how I did it.
    Why would you want to delete that?
    Even if its out-of-date, there is still some good information there...
    I get emails all the time about my comments being deleted?
    I doubt they are running out of space on the database, but its pretty strange to "shoot yourself in the foot" and remove comments that support your product and give constructive tips.

At this point, I don't even comment anymore on AppDB and I definitely don't post test results.
    Sad because I was very excited about telling the community about my success with Wine, guess I'll stick to Posting here, on Reddit and PlayOnLinux forums.
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Both wine versions are not maintained anymore, that is why it was deleted. It may seem harsh, but I have to say I agree with that policy. If you were the developer of some software, and then someone started asking about some issue or something with a very old version of your software, that does not help your development process.

From a gamer standpoint, knowing what games work with what versions is great, but to help the wine project you would need to test the newest stable version, or newest development version, and then comment results with those versions.
  3. booman

Home page:
    True, for development to function consistently, old programming should no longer be supported because you would never move forward...

but what if the current "stable" version of Wine doesn't work for a specific game?

Seems like the big problem resides around open-source. Since Wine is available to everyone, we use its needed. In this case gamers need access to all released versions of Wine because they vary so much. One version can work for a game while another can not. So we have to resort to older/patched versions.

There is no way Wine devs can test every single PC game in the "stable" version of wine, so older/patched versions still need to be available. Hence why PlayOnLinux has so much success.

My concern is that gamers won't have access to comments about what works and what doesn't. So they will try the "stable" version and if the game doesn't work, they give up. Little did they know there is an old version that works just fine, but the comments were deleted.

I have seen this so many times... AppDB reports "Garbage" and yet PlayOnLinux can run it. I can't report "Gold" or "Platinum" because Wine doesn't support the old or patched versions of Wine.

To be honest, just because a comment refers to an unsupported version of Wine doesn't mean the developers have to support it. Seems like they are using AppDB more as a business than a community. "Covering their butts" as one would say... but its just a comment from a community member. They don't have to support my comments... of course.
  4. Daerandin

Home page:
    It can be frustrating, I agree with that. However for the sake of wine development, posting that it does not work with the current wine version is helpful.

I am not saying that I don't understand your frustration, but I can also understand the policy of the wine AppDB. Still, I do agree that it is a bit harsh to not even allow commenting on the matter. I suppose that's a role communities like PoL and ours will have to fill.
  5. booman

Home page:
    So you think they won't delete my comments if I post the version that are NOT working?

Agree completely. My ultimate goal is to get my games running any way possible. I don't care which Wine, Patched Wine, Library or GUI I have to use. If it is playable, I want to show everyone how to do it.
    So far the Linux gaming community loves it! So for now, I'll lay off AppDB and stick to posting here, Reddit and PlayOnLinux forums.
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    Agreed. If a game only works with an old version, I'm sticking with that old version. I want my games to run on Linux, and I'll use the method that work.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Exactly, I always test games in newer Wine versions as well, but if it doesn't work, then I resort to older 1.5.18 or 1.4.1 versions. Nothing wrong with that.
    I do hope the newer versions will RULE ALL one day, but its hard to re-test all of my games over again with newer versions.
    I may test one or two, but I've already tested over 100 games.

I'm probably going to try Battlefield 2 and Fallout 3 again. I'm just curious if they are running better with newer versions of Wine
  8. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I depends on the who maintains it... last time I submitted some data with WINE 1.5 and it went through... but even with [insert project] I also plan to always use the latest version of WINE to test stuff...
  9. booman

Home page:
    Like I said, I'm going to avoid posting on AppDB for now. Since they are an ever-changing-monster it wouldn't make sense to support all versions of Wine. I agree with that, but I wonder if there was a way to archive older posts so others can research and read-up on the history of the game?
    Time will tell...
    I'm over it now, but wish it could have been managed in a way that the community would benefit.
  10. booman

Home page:
    One more thing...
    Notice on Hard Resets AppDB page there is only one "Platinum" test report and its for the "Indie Royal Bundle"
    So if you don't have that specific bundle, you probably won't be able to play it because all other reports show "Bronze"
    There are no other
    Hard Reset AppDB

Since my comment was deleted, now most gamers will assume that it doesn't work. Thats sad. I really think the moderators are shooting-themselves-in-the-foot.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  11. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

This is one reason because i retired from maintainer (carlos rodriguez), i maintain 100 apps in once moment, i uploading much results since wine 1.1.21 but after its more difficult add new results for this reason i want create youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28

And now thanks to Pentium G3220 and Nvidia Geforce GT630 (GK208 28nm) its possible, almost forget and my blog (on may birth 5 years)

http://gamesonwine.blogspot.com/

:)
  12. booman

Home page:
    100 apps, wow, I bet that was a lot of work.
    I love your Youtube.com channel. 5 years is GREAT! We have a lot of catching up to do here on GamersOnLinux.
    Do you collect PC games?
  13. mrdeathjr28

Yes i post more than 100 apps (games mainly), mainly older titles when anybody uploading as mercedes benz world racing, dinasty warriors orochi, toca racer driver 1 and many others, only write on google this an see results

wine appdb carlos rodriguez

And my contributions mostly times have screenshots (this screenshots have complicated to upload because wine requires when only appears apps window, cut image from correct form are needed and this work during stay as maintainer on wine and uploader results)

But on blog appears my screenshots galleries (my work during 5 years) around 5000 images on 6 galleries

https://picasaweb.google.com/108973...obadosEnWineParteA?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/108973...obadosEnWineParteB?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/108973...obadosEnWineParteC?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/108973...obadosEnWineParteD?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/108973...obadosEnWineParteE?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/108973...oresProbadosEnWine?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Yes i save many old games (i like mainly old games), and recently thanks to gog and steam, its possible adquire many of them and without protections, for this reason many titles with protection can work as tom clancy splinter cell chaos teory (this game in launch moment have starforce protection and this situation occurs with another titles as obscure and anothers)

14. booman

Home page:
    That is awesome!
    Thanks for all of your hard work on AppDB, Blog and Youtube!
    You have proven that plenty of games run in Linux and that is what the world needs to know.

By the way, I'm looking at your picasaweb images... how do I know what game each image is?
  15. mrdeathjr28

Normally on screenshots appears menu of game (mostly time appears name), this screenshots stay organizated for time mainly but if you search, many titles can work

This is the objective, games on linux is possible maybe more complicated than windows but its possible if wants: performance and different issues (GFWL, .NET, protections, etc...) on some games but mostly games at time (DX9) working on wine

16. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, after l looked a 100 screenshots I noticed the game title screen was at the beginning.
    I found a couple of games on GOG that I don't have. Thanks!
  17. booman

Home page:
    I just noticed that AppDB has this before the comments:
    So why are they deleting my comments if they have already "covered their butts"?
  18. mrdeathjr28

With many users them had make this, on my case too deleted some comments

Some deleted for old: wine 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and this is acceptable but on recent information wine 1.6 and wine 1.7 not acceptable for this reason its better have your own page (mainly depend of you) with information (on your case web page, on my case blog and youtube channel)

19. booman

Home page:
    I rarely use those old versions of Wine. So it makes sense to not support them... but there are a few games that only run on them. Thats definitely not my fault when a game can't run on newer Wine, but I would still make a comment about my success when a game runs... even on an old version.

It just seems like a mess over there, its not a big deal, but if it were more community driven it could be better. I hate saying that because the community is usually a mess as well. Oh well, I'll just stick to gamersonlinux.com, playonlinux.com and reddit.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  20. booman

Home page: