1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AppDB Comments Deleted?

Discussion in 'WINE' started by booman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Once again, I get notified of my comments that have been deleted.
    They really aren't concerned about an archive of success tips
    appdb_comments.png
  2. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Stop trying and wait for me? ;) (although I still need to create the website :( )

Also... I've noticed that some WINE purists are pretty narrow-minded when it comes to wrappers, thus they may delete your stuff. Even though in some cases they are mostly vanilla (untouched) WINE. sigh.
  3. booman

Home page:
    Dude, I'm starting to think that they know my name and when they see "Booman" they delete the posts because they know I only use PlayOnLinux.

Seriously... I wouldn't even be playing Games in Linux if it wasn't for wrappers like PlayOnLinux.
  4. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

I think wine administrators have reserved with wine wrappers as playonlinux, this is posible because playonlinux have wine patched versions

You must try post with wine vanilla on playonlinux but if them dont accept your request only have try with wine vanilla without playonlinux, at time during as maintainer my most contributions are accepted without problem but i using wine vanilla without wrappers as playonlinux

:)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. booman

Home page:
    Man, there is no way I'm going back to vanilla Wine... too much stinking work :confused:
    I really think they tried with Winetricks, but PlayOnLinux has taken it to a whole "new level"
    The fact that patched versions of Wine actually WORK makes PlayOnLinux even more valuable.
    Without these patched versions I would have to wait for Wine to fix the problems. We all know that can take forever.
  6. mrdeathjr28

Its true (wine vanilla requires work to stay ready to work), for wine vanilla users only remains wait for solve problems but step by step problems are solve

7. booman

Home page:
    I'm sure Wine isn't so hard once you memorize some of the commands... but Windows users will probably never do that.
    So my guides are to keep it simple and use mostly GUI in PlayOnLinux.
    Even though its harder to install games with PlayOnLinux than Windows, its still possible and fairly easy.

I couldn't possibly expect them to jump right into Wine and start installing games.
  8. booman

Home page:
    I am still getting notifications that my comments were deleted. This is unbelievable!
    I've never been part of any website/forum where my posts or comments were deleted on a regular basis.

At this point I hesitate to comment on anything at AppDB
    If my comment doesn't apply to the current version of Wine, they delete it.
    Come on now!
    How can you let the community track the history of something if its deleted?
    Isn't that the whole point of forums and posting? I know AppDB isn't exactly a forum, but there are many times where I look back at the older posts to see if someone has found a solution to a problem.
    What if those were deleted and I never found that one-single-tip?

They act as if old versions of Wine are completely obsolete, but we have proven otherwise. PlayOnLinux keeps all versions of Wine and patched versions. Thats because they know newer versions can sometimes break a game.
    So those archives and old posts need to be saved in order for us to track tips and solutions.
    Even if its for an old version of Wine. Sometimes that older version is the ONLY version that will work with a game.
  9. mrdeathjr28

In my case too commits (some screenshots too) are deleted, for this reason is better have your own source (gamersonlinux in your case, in my case blog and youtube channel)

However i submit issues in bugzilla (more usefull for correct things)

Lastest in wine various submited results stay very incomplete, dont show machine used, distribution are other important things

10. booman

Home page:
    Exactly...
    I post here, on PlayOnLinux and reddit, but it would be nice to post on AppDB as well. There are a lot of gamers posting tips and bugs there.
    I shouldn't feel like I should avoid posting because I just want to help other people have success with their games.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Check this Hearthstone page on AppDB...
    Scroll down and see the PlayOnLinux steps

Wine support is a conundrum
    They don't support PlayOnLinux they do support PlayOnLinux
    Which is it? Come on...

I know different people support different games for Wine, but it appears they aren't even following standard protocol.
  12. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

It's voluntary work.

My take on it is simple, there must be a mod that is a WINE purist that have taken a beef with your PlayOnLinux comments and took upon himself/herself removing the comments.

It sucks but... there's not much we can do about it unless we come up with our own AppDB which would be more ideal.
  13. booman

Home page:
    You are probably right.
    Their support must be "encouraged" to not support anything but Wine its-self, but not mandatory.

I'll never understand the "purist" mentality with open source and Linux.
    How can you be "purist" if open source encourages communities to make changes and improve it?

Hence why we have so many "forks" of everything. Someone probably encountered a "purist" and decided to make it better themself. Fork!

Hence why we have a GOL forum with guides.
    Hence why PlayOnLinux exists...

It goes on and on and on

My frustration comes from people who support the forked software refuse to go outside their "model".
    Then someone else will fork it and make it better.
  14. mrdeathjr28

In lastest two weeks wine deleted various comments submitted, around 100 (all comments deleted are wine 1.7. entries), however is interesting because them stay cleaning entries

However in this time and wine dont appears some time

Maybe next release, maybe give begins of 1.8 release candidate releases (if this appears maybe need 3 or 4 months to see wine 1.8 in final stage)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  15. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    When they delete the comments, do they say that they did it? I mean, do they leave a message that 'this post was deleted by____________, for this reason: _______________________' ?

I'd seriously reconsider being involved with any site that censors the posts without explanation.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  16. mrdeathjr28

Yes many times deleted entries and many of this entries have more information compared to results submitted

Lastest results in many cases dont have enough information, for example

Compared with this type of results (this have more information)

17. booman

Home page:
    Yes, the email notification posts reasons and the Test regected posts reasons as well.
    Most of the time my deleted comment reasons are:
    Or something related to version not supported.

But as I've mentioned previously, this is the same as deleting archives that could be helpful.
    Who has the time to cleanup comments for thousands of programs and games anyways?