1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast internet

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daerandin, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I usually buy physical copies of my favourite games.
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    But for how much longer? The digital distribution model means that in the future you won't even BE ABLE TO GET a physical copy. You won't even have a download. The game will reside exclusively on a server some where, and AT BEST you will have a client app that you download so that you can access the server. And once the server gets shut down, or you stop paying your subscription, guess what? No more game.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Digital distribution seem to be the way things are heading. Personally I don't mind it, as long as I don't have to be connected to install and play after the initial download. As long as GOG is around I'll be happy, but it is admittedly kind of frightening that they seem to be the only ones willing to provide customers the freedom they give.

Fallout 1 and 2 were on GOG (and are still available to all who have already purchased them), but they were removed after Bethesda acquired the rights to the games. Since it is a while since this happened and the games have not yet been returned to GOG, many speculate that Bethesda are not comfortable with selling games without DRM where customers get to download an installer that requires no activation.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yeah, I'm worried about that as well.
    I am staying away from those services because I can't afford monthly payments anyways.
    I know I'll miss out on some games, but I already miss out on console games anyways.
    There are still thousands of games on PC to play.

This could be a huge problem if Valve ever looses their grasp on the PC gaming market or destroys their business model.
    I would hate to see my 100 Steam games get lost, hence why I keep a local copy on my server.
  5. booman

Home page:
    I just noticed yesterday that Fallout 1 & 2 are not on GOG.com
    Strange because I got them for free and they are still in my library for download. How does that work? I didn't even pay for them.

I'm avoiding games like Diablo 3 because you have to be connected to the internet at all times to play. All MMO's are like this as well (of course) but I only play the free one's.

If anything, they client should download the game files locally and if the service is cancelled or disabled, there may be a way to hack the executable so I can still play the game locally.

But, if its a streaming service, then we are completely out of luck.
    A streaming service that charges monthly payments to play games without a local copy better have some absolutely amazing games! Otherwise, I hope most people will avoid it.
  6. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    You obviously got the games before they were pulled from GOG. Since GOG don't have any deal with Bethesda, they can't sell the games anymore. However, customers who already have the games on their accounts, either through purchases or the occasional giveaway on GOG, will of course have the games available for download indefinitely on their account.
  7. booman

Home page:
    cool, not bad for me....
  8. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I got Fallout & Fallout 2 on GOG still.
  9. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Currently paying £16.50 ($28) for 20Mb up and 736Kb with an unlimited amount of data, any time of day.

Although I am only connected at 15901 kbps on the upstream due to an old phone cable somewhere in the vicinity.