1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you use Linux?

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Feb 10, 2015.

?

How much are you using Linux?

1. All Day

50.0%
  2. A few hours each Day

50.0%
  3. Once a Day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Once a Week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Once a Month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm on Linux Mint every morning testing games and playing games.
    A few times a week I am in Windows playing games with my family.
    At work, I'm on Windows all day.
  2. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

All day long.

[​IMG]

No trace of Windows. This is without including your usual support to your relatives, haha. I got rid of Windows last weekend, which is why I've become more active in writing WINE guides.

I do play games as well. I'm playing Child of Light, a guide should be up this week. It was deemed Garbage in AppDB.
    Gotta hand it to OpenSUSE (tumbleweed), they really have the best KDE experience.
  3. booman

Home page:
    Nice! All Day huh? I hope some day I could do that.
    Unfortunately I have some proprietary software at work that requires Windows.
    The day will eventually come when I will move all of my gaming machines over to Linux for good.
    I may have to sacrifice a few games, but it will be a good day.
    The problem is... I have no way to test all of my 6 LAN computers without actually installing Linux on them.
    So I would probably need 6 spare hard drives to do it.
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Well, this is my main computer. I am putting efforts in making games run under WINE. For example, yesterday I spent hours merging some patches that haven't made it to upstream on WINE 1.7.36 thus allowing me to run Child of Light. The binaries will be released along with the source once I'm done with the guide.

However, not everyone can do that. I've been becoming more aware that there might be more games that runs under WINE than we originally thought. However, the task is really time consuming, sure it helps a lot of people but you end up pretty tired when it comes to testing/compiling.

Anyway, I moved to OpenSUSE last weekend. Nothing wrong with Arch Linux, it served me well, sadly I've been eyeing to jump to OpenSUSE tumbleweed for a month now. Hopefully, no longer will I be hopping around. Good luck with setting the computers, it can be really time consuming.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Wow compiling and testing. Fortunately I don't compile anything, just install and test. Some game refuse to run and I have to do a lot of trial-n-error, but those are very few so far.

I've use OpenSUSE in the past. I liked it, but was curious about other distros. Back then I wasn't doing any gaming in Linux.
    So I went to Fedora and liked it as well. Somehow I ended up with Mint and LOVE IT!
    I think Daniel (Admin) was the one who got me into Mint. I decided I would help him with a few games and found myself doing guides just for fun.

Thank you for helping the community by testing, compiling and posting Guides!
  6. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

I only switch to Windows 7 if I have to play a game that doesn't run in Linux, which is quite rare. These days I'm less a gamer, and more a person who watch TV series & anime. Most of the games that I like is on Linux now anyway.

I unwillingly fix Macbooks and PCs with Windows at work.

Oh wow, I will definitely test that on my laptop, right now! Opensuse was the 2nd distro I used, and ever since I jumped the rolling release train I've been waiting for a rolling Opensuse.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    booman likes this.
  7. Kowalsky

Kowalsky Member

Never used another OS since Amiga's times , every days in the last 3 years.
  8. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Now's the best time to jump back to openSUSE Tumbleweed (openSUSE factory and openSUSE Tumbleweed got merged, now the new rolling release remains)! I did a super tiny quick review on it a few days ago on my blog too. By far one of the best KDE experiences ever. Zypper is (forever be?) the package manager that you'd love it to be fast.

The distribution is truly rock-solid. Only complaint from me is a) no NVIDIA/AMD support you have to install the binaries yourself b) packages naming is insane compared to Debian or Arch Linux. c) YasT helps a lot, but when it comes to adding printers? Burn that thing, you are better off using the web interface (localhost:631) of CUPS.

It took me hours to find the development packages to compile WINE 32bit... and hours to make Spotify run. Aside from that, I have yet to alter any configuration files in /etc or do extra steps to fix/run something.
  9. booman

Home page:
    No more YaST for installing software?
    No automatic proprietary drivers installation is a "game changer" for most beginners
    I've played with manual installations and it was always a pain.
    Now I just configure my Mint with the newest "stable" like everyone else does (at least the noobs).
  10. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Actually I just read that you can install NVIDIA drivers from the 13.2 repos to Tumbleweed.

You still use YaST for software installation. I use zypper (command line) because YaST is a tad slow.

Tumbleweed is for more advanced users, it explicit say so in the wiki page they have. Imho, people can just wait for the next release.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Ok, cool, its important for gamers to get their drivers easily.
    What does YaST stand for again... I remember it being funny

So SuSE doesn't have a "stable" anymore and is now a rolling distro?
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  12. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

No, suse still has stable which is semi-rolling. Tumbleweed is just the next version of the stable version being worked on.
  13. booman

Home page:
    Interesting. I'm completely out-of-the-loop cause I haven't use SuSE in years.
    I use Fedora on my server, but never upgrade it, so I'm totally out-of-the-loop on Fedora as well.