1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions Online (Free-to-play RPG)

Discussion in 'Games' started by booman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. dem

dem Member

It's what I tried. But I'm new in POL, so maybe I missed something.

I made a try with bare version of wine (1.6), installing arc (version from CO website) : no result
    Then I tried with ARC from Startrek website : no result.

The only game I can install is neverwinter. The "add game" link goes on a blank arc window.

That's weird since I achieved to install (not very well) the 2 games with bare wine last week. Maybe Wine doesn't like a recent arc update ?

Too bad I uninstalled them. Now I know good settings (wich I used for neverwinter) and I'll receive the new processor soon (it's on the way from germany to france right now)... And now I cannot reinstall the games anymore. Strange.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yes this is very strange.
    I'm not exactly sure why, but it looks like when you download Arc from the game site, something isn't initiating the install for the specific game.
  3. dem

dem Member

For now, no Champions online on linux, I'm afraid.

I'll reinstall it on my windows testing hard drive, to see if the game really worths it. I'm biased since I'm a huge fan of City of Heroes (and also Anarchy Online, the 2nd game I played regularly on linux, and my first mmorpg, but it's another story). I played to lv6 in CO, I cannot say if I like it or no for now.
  4. dem

dem Member

I tried another thing : taking the arc folder from windows (where champion online is installed and visible in already installed games library) drive and copy paste instead of the "faulty" linux one. Arc launched, and...Weird, it kept the linux settings, so only neverwinter appears.

Another strange thing : I broke something in windows, now I cannot reinstall champions or star trek : they launch, but the launcher window is invisible ! LOL So I cannot play startrek and champions on linux but also on windows.

Call me an old fart, but I prefered when every game had it own installer instead of these modern libraries...Things were easier for me. Yeah, assumed old fart I am.
  5. booman

Home page:
    No problem... I'm eventually going to test it myself.

Dang, so now its broken on Windows and Linux?
    Backup the game files first, then try re-installing Arc.

So are you meaning each game should already have the directx, vcrun, dotnet, etc already bundled in the download or DVD?
  6. dem

dem Member

I fixed the windows version tonight, and played a little. I'm now lv7, my character can fly, and I start to figure out how to play this game (very dynamic combats). I can use my xbox360 controller too, wich is great. Definitly a game we would want to have on linux ;)

Concerning the games in general, I mean that I prefer 1 installer for each game. I don't like these modern fancy multigames launcher apps.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Nice, glad you can use the Xbox controller in Windows... now if we can get it working in Linux :D

Agreed! DRM free games are the only ones with a single installer. Guess thats never really going to happen since publishers and Devs needs money too.
  8. dem

dem Member

First, making the game working on linux, than the controller. I never tried a windows wine game with a controller...It probably works ?

Concerning the game itself, I enjoy it a lot. Definitly a good successor to COH. Already lv10 and growing !
  9. booman

Home page:
    Nice, good job!
    I have a Logitech dual-analog controller that works GREAT in Windows. Works with any game and no configuration.
    With Linux, not so good. I did find some libraries that allow it to control the mouse. So you can navigate Linux with the analog sticks, then press a button for simulating mouse clicks.
    It even worked in a few games too, but other games completely ignored it. Probably because I was in PlayOnLinux.
    So, now that I think about it, maybe there is a Windows software I can install in the virtual drive to allow controller support?
  10. dem

dem Member

My xbox360 genuine controler (wired version) is working perfectly both on windows xp and linux (native games). I don't have any windows wine/pol games to test if it works.
  11. dem

dem Member

Isn't possible to just copy the windows game folder on a usb stick, and copy it on linux in any way ? After all, we need ARC only to install the game. Once it's installed, you can directly call the game .exe.

The other problem is that I still don't know how to make these edition (copy paste etc...) operations with POL. With bare wine, it sounds simplier.

By the way, I received my processor (athlon 64x2 6400+ black edition, best amd athlon dualcore available). i'll install it this afternoon ;)
  12. booman

Home page:
    It depends on the game, some have registery entries installed and you can't copy those. But other games are just files in a folder. Arc games should be files in a folder that you can copy, but I tried it with Neverwinter and it didn't work. I still had to download the entire game.
  13. dem

dem Member

This week end I'll try to copypaste Champions, and see what happens. If the patched game is below 8gb (my biggest usb stick), wich I'm not sure at all.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, let me know... just make sure you paste it in the same directory that Windows has it in.
    My Neverwinter was in a Perfect World folder in Program Files. After downloading the whole game again, I couldn't find the new folder. So I'm pretty sure it didn't work, but maybe you'll surprise me