1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diablo II Resurrected

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Oct 25, 2022.

• by booman, Oct 25, 2022 at 1:25 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Blizzard recently released a complete graphical overhaul for Diablo II and I caught it during a sale!

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/diablo_ii_resurrected?p=168305

Everything in the game has been updated with new graphics and widescreen compatibility! Even online co-op is available!

Play the epic Diablo II with all the eyecandy you wanted and even press "G" to play with original 1990's graphics!

I was able to install Battle.net in PlayOnLinux but initially unable to run the Diablo II launcher. Darandin provided the solution for DirectX12 compatibility:

Download the 2.6 release vkd3d-proton-2.6.tar.zst:
    https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/releases/download/v2.6/vkd3d-proton-2.6.tar.zst

You can extract it, and then simply run the provided script to install the dx12 libraries automatically. You just need to ensure to set the path to the wine prefix for the game, and then simply run the script, like this:

Code:
    Code:
    WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix ./setup_vkd3d_proton.sh install
    Note: If you installed it with PoL, and named it "diablo2" then the prefix path should look like this: WINEPREFIX=/home/<your_username>/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/diablo2

Specs:
    Mint 20.3 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1650
    Nvidia 515
    PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
    Proton-7.0-3
    DXVK 1.9.1

diablor-0.jpg
    diablor-1.jpg
    diablor-2.jpg
    diabres-0.jpg
    diabres-1.jpg
    diabres-3.jpg
    diabres-4.jpg
    diabres-8.jpg
    diabres-9.jpg
    diabres-10.jpg
    diabres-11.jpg
    diabres-12.jpg
    diabres-13.jpg
    diablo04.jpg
    diablo05.jpg
    diablo07.jpg
    diablo08.jpg
    diablo09.jpg
    diablo010.jpg
    diablo011.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Daerandin
    Hey, nice to see you doing a guide on this game. It runs really well. I would however suggest getting a much never version of vkd3d-proton. The newest 2.7 release requires newer gpu drivers so it might not be a good choice, depending on your gpu. But with the 2.6 release you get better performance and everything works properly. With that commit you have linked to, the multiplayer lobby does not display other players properly. While the 2.6 release works as it should.

Additionally, if you download the 2.6 release: vkd3d-proton-2.6.tar.zst

You can extract it, and then simply run the provided script to install the dx12 libraries automatically. You just need to ensure to set the path to the wine prefix for the game, and then simply run the script, like this:

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix ./setup_vkd3d_proton.sh install
    If you installed it with PoL, and named it "diablo2" then the prefix path should look like this: WINEPREFIX=/home/<your_username>/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/diablo2
    booman likes this.
  2. booman
    Oh cool! Good call Daerandin!
    I try to keep everything as vanilla as posssible, so I just copy the Proton versions directly from Steam installed on my machine.

Thanks for the link! I trust your expertice so I wil also add this to the short guide!
  3. Daerandin
    Sorry for late reply, was on a little trip out of the country.

Copying from Steam also works. The github link is where Steam's files come from, so it is the source. I just posted it since it saves you needing to copy the files manually, and you can get newer versions than what is shipped with Steam.

The game itself is also pretty cool. I used to play it back when Diablo 2 was new, and this remake is true to the original while providing so much better graphics. I play it with my wife, although she plays it a lot more than me. She has several characters that are level 90+ loaded with end-game gear.
    booman likes this.
  4. booman
    No problem... for some reason I still do not get notifications when someone posts. Wow several 90+ characters!!!??? That is awesome! My wife and I are still playing through. We are in Act II at the moment. Diablo II is much funner than I expected after playing so many other games like Torchlight, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Path of Exile... etc.

The new graphics and cutscenes are amazing! I'm so glad Blizzard created this remastered edition and made it online co-op.

By the way, I added your steps to the instructions.
    Daerandin likes this.