1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying Light graphical bugs on AMD

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daerandin, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    So Dying Light is apparently not that great on AMD graphics cards on Linux. I don't know if this applies to all AMD cards, but on my Radeon RX 5700 XT I get some pretty heavy graphical bugs on in-game shadows. It does not appear to affect anything other than shadows, and I did not have these issues on my previous nvidia card. I also noticed that graphical settings for the game were lacking some features on my AMD card, so apparently the developers didn't care much about AMD on Linux.

The screenshot below show the issue.

dl-bug.jpg

I have tried messing around with the graphical options, even modifying the configuration file itself, but I have not found any solution for the Linux version.

However, playing the Windows version in Wine works perfectly, and I even get more graphics options in the game settings. So I actually got better graphics, not bugs, in Wine. It's a bit sad, but seems to be the preferable option if you want to play this game with an AMD card on Linux.

I could not get this game working with Proton on Steam, so instead I simply installed it with newest Wine-staging, and then I installed dxvk myself using the dxvk install script

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix ./setup_dxvk install
    I was impressed that this even let me use nvidia specific graphical settings, which improved the graphics considerably. Most notably shadows, which have a softer and much more realistic appearance.
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Ugh, here we go again!
    Developers aren't fully testing hardware and drivers with their native port and settle on its current condition. Then we have to go and use Wine.

Not the end of the world, but sad to see it happening again.
  3. booman

Home page:
    I wonder if DXVK would allow us Nvidia gamers to use the special physx features in Borderlands 2 that aren't available for the Linux port?
  4. Daerandin

Home page:
    It would not hurt to give it a try. It's a shame when these things happen.

The worst example I have ever seen when it comes to native Linux ports is Stronghold 3. If you play the Linux version, you don't get the newest update of the game, and none of the DLC's are available. It looks like they simply gave up on the Linux version at some point. So for Stronghold 3, you have to play the Windows version.
    booman likes this.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Ugh, yeah that sucks for us!
    I had issues with the Metro series and ended up playing them in PlayOnLinux with Wine and DXVK. But the windows version required the whole DirectX June 2010 Runtime installed. Otherwise the audio was messed up.
    I wonder though... with Proton these days, maybe it runs better?
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    I got a screenshot from Dying Light when I'm playing in Wine with DXVK. I went to the same spot at the same time of day so the shadows are supposed to be the same.

dl-dxvk.jpg

No graphical glitches, and the shadows appear a LOT more realistic. This is particularly clear on the right side of the image. When playing the Linux version, the tree shadows are unrealistically clear. But in Wine with DXVK I get diffuse, realistic shadows from the trees.

I also realized that my kill counter for the community event has been reset. I did switch to NewGame+ on Nightmare difficulty two days ago, which is probably the reason for that.
    booman likes this.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Wow, yeah!
    That looks very realistic! Thank you DXVK!
    I've been wanting to buy Dying Light but I still have a list of 50 games I need to play.
    I also wanted to wait until my daughter is older enough for bloody games so we can play co-op.

Kill counter? Ha ha! Guess you have to start over