1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eclipse Pics

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Gizmo, Apr 12, 2024.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    My family and I made the trek to Atkins Arkansas to see the eclipse (it's only about a 3.5 hour drive from where I live).

I've uploaded the photos and videos to my web-site:
    Eclipse Pics

Hope you all like them. I took them with my 80mm telescope and a cheapie camera that mounted on the telescope. I don't have tracking on the 'scope, so I had to keep manually readjusting.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow, you went All Out!
    Pretty cool, I'm assuming you were not shooting directly at the eclipse.
    Did you use a device or something?
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    I have an 80 mm Meade f/5 telescope (80 mm primary lens) with a 6.3 mm secondary lens, about 60x magnification, with a home-made solar filter (by home-made, I mean that I used a proper solar filter attached to a hand-built mount for the telescope). The camera is a chinesium no-name brand that I got on Amazon for $75 from the Unalace shop and is surprisingly good. It has a universal mount that allows it to fit 25-50 mm eye-pieces (all of mine are 25mm). It has a MicroSD card slot with a 32 GB card, as well as Wi-Fi. You connect to the camera over Wi-Fi from your phone with an app that you can download from the app store, and you use the phone app to see the image so that you can make sure you've got it centered and in-focus all that sort of thing. There's also an exposure setting, although I'm pretty sure that I had the exposure too high: even with it turned all the way down, I believe the images are still a bit over-exposed until we get to totality.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow, you are quite the hobbyist... I didn't realize you invested so much into a Telescope.
    Most of that went over-my-head but I can see you were definitely prepared for this day!
  5. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    you just never know whats up there until you look