1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming in Linux Taught Me More About Windows

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by booman, Nov 17, 2015.

?

Do you play more games with:

1. Native

40.0%
  2. WINE Alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. PlayOnLinux

60.0%
  4. Crossover

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pipelight

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have been testing PC games in Linux for over 3 years now. Each week I post a new step-by-step guide on how to install, configure and optimize the PC game in Linux. There are even a few native guides as well:

List of Tested Games in Linux

Some games have ran perfectly on the first try, others require some extra libraries, some need patched versions of Wine and very few do not run at all. Testing games requires a lot of patience and repetition. Those troublesome games need to be installed 5 or 6 times in order to trial-n-error and get different results. The process can be quite frustrating, but in the long run no one else has to spend those hours testing. Just follow the guide and play your game.

As a result, I've really learned a lot about Windows and Linux equally

With PlayOnLinux you can utilize Wine with an easy-to-use Graphical User Interface.
    Wine can select different versions of Windows:
    • Windows 2.0
    • Windows 3.0
    • Windows 3.1
    • Windows NT 3.51
    • Windows NT 4.0
    • Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows ME
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows XP
    • Windows 2003
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 2008
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 2008 R2
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 8.1
    • Windows 10
    It is really amazing how Wine is compatible with so many versions of Windows. I've read many times that Wine is more backwards compatible with programs than Windows is.

PlayOnLinux can install Libraries (DLL):
    • core fonts
    • d3dx9
    • d3dx10
    • d3dx11
    • dotnet 1.0
    • dotnet 2.0
    • dotnet 3.0
    • dotnet 4.0
    • gdiplus
    • vcrun 2005
    • vcrun 2006
    • vcrun2008
    • vcrun2010
    • Internet Explorer 6 & 8
    • Windows Media Player 9 & 10
    • XNA 31 & 40
    • And many many more...
    These libraries are extremely important for certain games and clients to install and run properly.

Wine also has a lot of "work arounds" to install games, apply patches and run them in compatibility modes.
    You can even mount games directly from a folder on your desktop.

In the process of my testing I do a lot of research. I reference a lot of different websites to find out how someone successfully ran a game:

Every time I test a game and mess with libraries, patches and configuration files, I actually gain more Windows knowledge. Some games are known to be problematic in Windows. So I will experience the same problems in PlayOnLinux/Wine and have to fix it with the same solutions as Windows gamers.

I have even experimented with running game mods:
    Game Mods require some extra configuration and patching in order to work correctly.
    Just as you would need to edit config files in Windows, you have to perform the same changes in Linux.

Another aspect of Linux & Windows gaming is hosting game servers. 8 years ago I found that hosting a Local Game Server would require a copy of Windows Server and is very expensive. So I researched and found that a lot of game servers run on Linux. You have to find the Linux compatible binaries to launch the game server. This is when I started to learn about Linux.

Hosting games on a Linux server allowed the processing load to be reduced on my Windows PC's.
    Some older game can still be hosted right on the gaming PC, but high quality games really strain the CPU and results in "lag" for incoming connections. This isn't a simple task. Each gaming computer has to be patched to the same version as the server. Some libraries or packages are necessary to host games in Linux. Sometimes the game files are required as well.

Today I find that some games run fine in Linux or Wine and can connect to Windows. Even online MMO's will play happy with Windows and Linux. Some games can be hosted in Wine or Linux and Windows can connect to it.

Knowledge of Windows really helps your gaming experience even in Linux when running PC games.
    If you plan to play PC games in Linux, expect to learn a lot about the inner workings of Linux and Windows.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Nice post, boo. ;)
    booman likes this.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Thanks!
    Feel free to share your experiences as well