1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Lin-Steam on Fedora 17

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by Gizmo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Ok, so the official release of the Linux Steam client is a .deb package for Debian derivatives (primarily Ubuntu).

Turns out there is an unofficial repository for Fedora. The follow steps are detailed at http://russellbryantnet.wordpress.com/2 ... fedora-17/

I'm providing the synopsis here:

Do the following as root:
    Code:
    wget http://spot.fedorapeople.org/steam/steam.repo
    mv steam.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/
    yum install steam
    rpm -q steam

IF all went well, after the last command you should see:
    Yes, it's a 32-bit client. No, there don't seem to be any plans to provide a 64-bit client. Be happy we got this much!

Seems at least some games (such as Team Fortess 2) want to run in xterm. You'll probably already have xterm, but if you don't, do the following as root:

Code:
    yum install xterm

In addition, you may run into problems with some missing libraries. At this time, the only known issue is libtxc_dxtn, which you can get from the rpmfusion repo. If you don't already have that, do the following as root:

Code:
    yum localinstall --nogpgcheck http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

Finally, install the library (again as root)

Code:
    yum install libtxc_dxtn.i686

For 64-bit users, note you are installing the 32-bit library, NOT the 64-bit one

Supposedly, this works. I've not yet had a chance to test it myself, but I'll post back when I do.

For those of you who believe in the 'never do ANYTHING as root' motto, you can prefix each of the above commands with 'sudo'.

Personally, I believe real men aren't afraid to run as root when the situation calls for it. :twisted:

EditOnce you've done the above, you should find an Steam launcher under your Games menu in KDE, or in your Applications-put-everything-here-so-you-can't-find-anything menu under Gnome 3. (No, I'm not a fan of Gnome 3; in fact, you could accurately say that I despise it).

The first time you launch the Steam client, it will download some updates (in my case, about 112 MB), and install them. The update window will go away, and the main Steam client login window will appear. Login and do your thing!

Edit2:By default Fedora uses SELinux. If you have problems with games crashing, it may be due to SELinux. Try the following as root:
    Code:
    setsebool -P allow_execheap 1

Edit3:Steam doesn't include the required 32-bit Mesa libraries, so if you are installing on a 64-bit system using the Neuveau drivers, you are currently SOL. Either switch to the nVidia drivers or deal with it. Sorry, that's harsh, but there you go.
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    A nice piece of work Gizmo! Great to see that Fedora is up for games and Gamers! ":O}
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Man I log in as root on my server all the time!
    Its been almost 6 years and I've only messed up a few things but never erased the whole hard drive: rm /
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Screenshots Screenshots!