1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

launching game with arguments help please

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by graywolf.theheathen, Apr 26, 2014.

1. graywolf.theheathen

graywolf.theheathen Member

I'm trying to launch Star Wars EaW Forces of Corruption with MODPATH=Mod\MYMOD in the arguments. But ' \ ' character will not stay. I guess it isn't a supported PoL argument character.

Does anyone know a way with either a Launcher shortcut or a script that I can have; playonlinux --run "swfoc" , launch with the argument MODPATH=Mod\MYMOD? The windows shortcut would look like this: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption\swfoc.exe" MODPATH=Mod\MYMOD
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    The \ character mostly used to indicate a special character in most programming languages as well as bash commands. If you add another \ then it might work, so I would suggest you try that.
  3. graywolf.theheathen

graywolf.theheathen Member

OK, that was weird. But thanks a million for the suggestion. It loaded the mod :D

I changed MODPATH=Mod\ACM2.4 to MODPATH=Mod\\ACM2.4 and when I exited that screen and went back to see if it had kept the changes it had this: 'MODPATH=Mods\ACM2.4' and it is working. I guess the single quotes around it make a difference.
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    The reason for this is that \ is used to indicate special characters such as tabs, newlines and the like. tab = \t newline = \n in a lot of programming languages, including bash. In order to just use the \ character, you must first use one \ to indicate that you will use a special character, then another \

Glad to hear it works for you. I assume PoL simply changed it like that so insert properly into the executable.
    graywolf.theheathen likes this.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Its so frustrating to simulate a "windows path" in a Linux Path.
    Linux likes forward slashes /
    Windows likes backward slashes \

Linux like no spaces
    Windows Likes spaces

So if you have spaces and backslashes there are way to show Linux paths and command line.
    Like Daerandin said, you can use two backslashes.
    For spaces in the "windows path" just use a backslash
    Code:
    /home/username/my\ games/dins\ curse
    graywolf.theheathen likes this.