1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manjaro Install from USB Stick

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Daerandin, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Without the USB plugged in, open a terminal and type: lsblk

Then plug in the USB, and type the same command again. You should now see a new device among those listed, which will be your USB. Just remember that it must be unmounted before you use use the dd command to copy the iso over the USB.

Unmounting can be done in either terminal, or it should also be available to easily do it in GUI.

In case you are unfamiliar with the device listing with lsblk, I will give an example. Let's say you see something like this:

Code:
    sda      8:0    0 698,7G  0 disk
    ├─sda1  8:1    0  500M  0 part /boot
    ├─sda2  8:2    0    2G  0 part [SWAP]
    └─sda3  8:3    0 696,2G  0 part /

sda is the device, while sda1, sda2, sda3 are the partitions. The /boot [SWAP] and the like is the mountpoint. If nothing is specified there, it means the partition is not mounted.

You know, maybe this part of the conversation, which is pretty far removed from the original topic, should continue in a dedicated topic :p
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    done, I move the thread to "Installing Linux"

I ran lsblk:
    Of course I have two hard drives.
    So I'm guessing my USB will probably show up as sdc correct?
  3. Daerandin

Home page:
    Yes, it will most likely show up as sdc. You can easily make sure by running lsblk without USB plugged, then keep the terminal open. Plug USB and run the command again to compare. Can't go wrong with that method.
  4. booman

Home page:
    So I will download Manjaro iso and save it to my desktop. Then find which device is my USB drive.
    After that I can run this in the Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/booman/desktop/manjaro.iso of=sdc1

if=path to manjaro iso
    of=path to USB drive
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    Almost, before you run that command make sure the USB is not mounted. I don't know if Mint automatically mounts USB sticks as soon as you plug them in. If a mountpoint is specified for your USB when you run 'lsblk' then you need to unmount it. This can be done with the command 'sudo umount' and specify the partition to unmount.

Or you could simply use the GUI, find the USB icon, most file managers should display it on the left side. Then right click, and click on "Unmount".

And a couple of changes to your command. "of=/dev/sdc" assuming that sdc is your USB. You must not use any number there as the dd command requires the actual device, not a partition on the device. Using a number will specify a partition on the USB, not the actual device and that will not work. Secondly you should add "&& sync" at the end of the command. sync make sure that any changes are actually written to disc, and just running dd is not a guarantee of this.

So, you will have more luck running:

Code:
    sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/booman/desktop/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sdc && sync
  6. booman

Home page:
    ah, thanks for clarifying that.
    I just thought the "1" meant one partition.
    It should actually be zero!

Anyways, I'll have to pop a spare drive into one of my other machines and give Manjaro a try with some games.
  7. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Hi guys, since you are talking about Manjaro I wanted to tell you that I installed it also on a free partition of my main core7 PC and everything is working like a charm.
    The installation was so fast that I seriously believed something went wrong so seeing the OS starting was almost a shock.

On the gaming side I installed PlayOnLinux and copied some game prefixes from Ubuntu to Manjaro.

I experienced a problem with UT3 (no sound) but, after googling a couple of minutes, I fixed it installing with Octopi, the software manager, the package lib32-openal.

There is no difference in game performance so far between Ubuntu 12.04 and Manjaro, but I have yet to test the couple of games that struggle a little more than the others.

The other programs, including for instance Firefox, are noticeably faster.
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    Booman, there should not be a '0', there should not be anything there at all, just plain 'sdc' sdc is the device, the numbers correspond to a specific partition. sdc0 is not going to be recognized as it does not exist. At least, I've never seen that kind of naming.
  9. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Daerandin, I have a question for you.

A couple of day ago I was finally able to get Chessmaster 10th edition working on PlayOnLinux (until now I played the game on a XP virtual machine on Virtualbox).

I decided to copy the wineprefix from my Ubuntu partition to the Manjaro one (both are the 64bit versions), using of course the same Wine release (1.4 Ubisoft).

Well, on Manjaro it doesn't work, in fact it invariably freezes.

I thought of trying it on another machine, a dual-core running, among others, Manjaro Openbox 32bit.
    On that particular distro the game works perfectly well, which leads me to believe that on the 64bit installation I miss some 32bit libraries.

Since you are using Arch Linux x86_64, have you any idea what I could do now? Thanks.
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    It certainly sounds like it could be missing 32-bit libraries. That first thing I was to ask is if your system is up to date. Rolling release should always be up to date, you can use the graphical tool for Manjaro, or just open a terminal and run "sudo pacman -Syu" which will do a complete update of your system, if anything needs updating.

The debug info might have some useful info, and if not maybe try to set up the virtual drive from scratch on your 64-bit Manjaro.

Let me know if this helps. I could also help you check for some common 32-bit libraries, but I would also need to know what GPU you have for that.
  11. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Thank you for the quick reply.
    Yes, my system is up to date (I used the very fast Octopi package manager).

I had already tried installing the game from scratch with the same results.
    The graphic card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti using the 331.20 driver.

I don't have the debug results anymore, but I could install the game again later in the day (I am at work right now).
    Could the libraries I need be those listed on this wikipage?
  12. Daerandin

Home page:
    Yes those will be needed. Others that might help would be:

lib32-glu
    lib32-glib2
    lib32-libpulse
    lib32-libxml2

I could list all my lib32 packages, but I am unsure which of them are needed. Almost all I have installed have come as dependencies for other packages.
  13. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Well, I will try installing them in the evening (CET) and I'll let you know how it went.
  14. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

As promised, here I am again.
    I installed the last 2 libraries you listed, the other 2 and those listed in the wikipage I linked were already present.
    The result, however, is still exactly the same.

Here is the debug:
  15. Daerandin

Home page:
    It is complaining about dbus, which is odd. Try installing the 32-bit library for dbus, lib32-dbus

Edit: Just noticed it is a dependency for several other lib32 packages so it should already be installed so that is not the issue.
  16. Daerandin

Home page:
    Do you have dbus-glib installed? The only thing I can think of now would be to try installing some dbus libraries.
  17. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Hi Daerandin, yes both lib32-dbus and dbus-glib were already installed.
    Thank you anyway for your time and your suggestions, but luckily this is not critically important.

After all, Chessmaster 10th edition runs already on my Manjaro and Crunchbang 32bit, plus Ubuntu 64 bit.
    However, should I experience similar issues with other games, I will ask for help on the Manjaro forums and report here the results.

I have to register there anyway because I noticed some tearing on a couple of movies and disabling the Compton composite manager, as suggested on a couple of websites, did not help.
  18. Daerandin

Home page:
    You may want to ask about this issue as well. For all we know it could be some problem with the 64-bit dbus package that Manjaro currently use.
  19. booman

Home page:
    It was a good test though...
    Manjaro has a 32-bit ISO correct?
  20. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

Sorry Booman for the late answer but yes, Manjaro has a 32bit version for all their flavors.
    I agree this is a good test, my first prolonged one away from Debian-based distros, although I briefly tried in the past Fedora and Opensuse.

Anyway I think that on my older PCs (a desktop and a laptop, both dual core) I'll stick with 32bit Operating Systems.

And by the way, how did your installation go, assuming you had time to do it given your effort on creating the RAGE guide.