1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice Distro needed, no gaming needed.

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by cloasters, Sep 7, 2015.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Took the words right out of my mouth
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks very much guys, I appreciate your patience!
  3. booman

Home page:
    Sadly I'm experiencing everything you were experiencing with installing Linux
    UFEI is a total pain in the butt!
    Having Windows 8 pre-installed makes it even harder
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I dunno if UEFI is actually worse than BIOS was, which wasn't a breeze for me, tbh.
    Are you running Win8 for compatibility with some games? Please tell me that you are-- because I'd hate to learn that Mint won't cover all my needs, which are pretty much E-mail and the Web.
    I wish to divorce myself from MS completely! If I will need an MS OS and not solely Mint, what's the point?

MS is slowly and sneakingly adding Win10(read snooper's paradise) features to Win 7, 8 and 8.1. Thank you Redmond!
    AVG is now selling my info to whoever they sell it to. Thanks AVG! Used them for years and liked 'em. cloasters, hurry up with a new solely Linux machine! Money, what apita.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Sadly yes, for games only. Since I have 6 computers for gaming and LAN parties, a lot of games we like run better in Windows. Everything else can be done solely in Mint.

I gave up with Win8 64-bit because of GPT partition type. Linux 17.2 and 17.3 beta refused to see the partitions.
    I'm installing Windows 7 64-bit this morning and having the exact same problem!
    Grrr :mad:
    I am so tempted to go Mint all the way!!!

I made a list of all my Co-op games and there are about 19 games that will have to be run in PlayOnLinux.
    I've found that some of them do not connect with Windows and Linux (PlayOnLinux) but others run fine.
    I have 16 games that are native Linux compatible, so those are fine.

My other problem is video card. I have two GeForce 8800's, a GeForce 9800 and two AMD cards.
    The 8800's and 9800 would be "ok" for Linux, but newer cards run much better.
    Until I get newer video cards I would be sacrificing speed in Linux with these games.

UFEI is easier to navigate and make changes, but is a real PAIN for multiple Operating Systems
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for letting me know that yes, you only need Windows for some games. Whew, that's a great relief (for me) but not for you--sorry.
    Maybe the people who created UEFI thought that it's an MS world and loved it that way. Argh.
    booman likes this.
  7. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Man, I fucking hate UEFI. Once UEFI was introduced was when I suddenly got problems installing Linux.
  8. booman

Home page:
    I'm going to try Win8 and Mint again this morning. The first thing I'm going to do after installing Win 8 is to disable "fast boot"
    I have a feeling it is the root of all my problems, not UEFI
  9. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Fast boot, UEFI, "secure" boot, all fucking annoying.
  10. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    UEFI is the new standard, so learning how it works it probably preferable than banging your head against the wall every time you need to install Linux on it. Personally I like how I can configure just one bootloader from Arch to boot up other distros if I dual boot.

Also, keep in mind that if you have a hard drive over 2TB, then you can only boot from this hard drive on UEFI. BIOS MBR can't boot hard drives over 2TB.

Fast Boot is Windows specific, and would even cause issues if you dual booted two windows versions on the same computer. But it boots up Windows blazingly fast so I supposed that's why so many hardware manufacturers push it.

Secure Boot is also a concept I am not very fond it, because it is designed to only boot "signed" kernels and bootloaders. There is one nasty aspect to Secure Boot. If there was no option to disable Secure Boot, it would mean you would be locked to running whatever OS came pre-installed on the hardware. So far there have been no devices of this kind that I know of, and hopefully there never will be.

It is possible to boot Linux with Secure Boot enabled. I did this on my Surface Pro 3, since it boots with an ugly red screen when Secure Boot is disabled.

The problem I have with all this, is the whole "Secure Boot" issue, because hardware manufacturers can essentially lock the hardware to only run Windows. I think it is a good idea to more actively look for Linux friendly hardware manufacturers and support them.
    booman and vashin like this.
  11. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    vashin likes this.
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks very much for supplying the link to the Extreme Tech article Daerandin, it's an important one. As long as we have less and less freedom to run what we want all the while paying incrementally more for the hardware, everybody who matters is happy.

If Fast Boot is disabled my Lenovo desktop beeps during boot into Win7. Very annoying.
  13. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

Yeah, you have to do some research if you're going to buy a laptop and use it for Linux. My new laptop is a bit bitchy about booting both windows and linux install images. I have to plug the usb dvd rom or the usb stick, go into bios, then take it out and in again cause it's not there, then I restart and go into bios, and then I can see the device there.

I asked asus customer support to get a update in the works for the bios for my model but I haven't heard jack shit. I might have to call them or go to their headquarters in Norway.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  14. booman

Home page:
    I actually like UFEI now that I found my problem was Windows 8
    There are way more options than BIOS could ever provide.

As for "secure boot"
    I can only see that as useful in a business or government industries where they need to secure their data from end users booting other Operating Systems. I almost wrote "secure environment" but if they are using Windows, then I'm not so sure its "secure"
  15. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Something like 'secure boot' is a necessity if you aren't using self-encrypting drives, because it prevents someone from modifying the boot loader. (On a system where encrypting file systems or device drivers are used, the boot loader still has to be stored unencrypted or you can't boot; with self-encrypting drives you don't have this problem.)

That said, anyone who's serious about security would be using a self-encrypting drive anyway, IMO.
  16. booman

Home page:
    I'm convinced the Windows 7 is using encryption automatically. I've experienced many permissions problems and sharing drive problems in the past.

I've also noticed my Fedora server is automatically encrypting drives.
    I have a backup drive that is hot-swappable SATA and I can't access the files anywhere but on my Fedora server.
    I've tried on other Linux, Mac and Windows computers and they won't see or even mount the drive.
    But it works great on my Fedora server. Who knew?
  17. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I hope this question isn't off topic. I've made a tentative list of the hardware to put in my new Linux only (the latest Mint, Cinnamon) box. Who knows, mebbe I'll try to install FreeBSD on it as well--some day. I'm a sucker for the OS's mascot.

Asus Z170 LGA 1151 Mainboard
    Intel i5 6500 3.2 Ghz CPU

Kingston Value Hyper X 8 Gb X2 RAM Query, please: the fancier Kingston RAM modules with added ?plastic "shield" costs the same. My guess is that exposed RAM chips run cooler. Maybe I'm wrong about this?

Samsung 850 EVO500 Gb SSD, plus
    Crucial MX200 250 Gb SSD

LG 16X BluRay burner
    EVGA GeForce 720GT 2 Gb There's no ~$100 Vidcard option with this local assembler. Their next offered Vidcard is
    a $176 EVGA GeForce 950 SC GTX 2Gb GDDR5 unit. I don't game, but $66 for their 720 GT is looking too tight-butted, come to think of it.

Firepower Silencer 600 PSU(already bought and paid for).

Any suggestions to improve the list or a caveat about one or more chosen components would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks very much!
  18. booman

Home page:
    Sounds like a good machine!
    Have you looked at the GeForce 750 Ti? Should be faster than the 720GT and only $122.99
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks very much for your reply, Booman! The GEForce 750ti is a great suggestion, but the local retail assembler offers limited choices, I think I'll spring for the GF 950 SC GTX, I've never had a Vidcard that cost more than a C-Note before and this new box may be the last I'll ever have. Thank you again!
  20. booman

Home page:
    Oh, I didn't realize you were buying from a local retail.
    You will definitely get smaller selection from stores.
    Even Frys Electronics has a big selection but not as big as newegg.com