1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neverwinter Free MMO Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 2, 2013.

• by booman, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    neverwinter91.jpg

There are already a lot of Dungeons & Dragons games out there. From board games to card games and video games. The Lore of D&D is nothing new to most of us...
    But I am excited to see Neverwinter appear as a Free game with the ability to use everything available in the game without having to spend a penny. The graphics are beautiful, the the world is huge, fight along side friends, customize your character and all the rest of the expected RPG qualities.

neverwinter101.jpg

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Neverwinter in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the downloadable version of Neverwinter. Steam and Arc versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Note: March 2017 Perfect World Entertainment ended support for Windows XP and Direct X 9. This guide no longer applies until we can pursue more testing in Wine.

Mint 17 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.8
    Wine: 1.7.40

Wine Installation

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.7.40
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.7.40 is installed and you can close this window

Download the Neverwinter installer here:
    http://download.perfectworld.com/nw/neverwinter_setup.exe

Save in a folder on your desktop
    neverwinter02.png

PlayOnLinux Setup

Launch PlayOnLinux
    Click Install
    neverwinter05.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    neverwinter06.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    neverwinter08.png

Name the virtual drive: neverwinter
    Click Next
    neverwinter09.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries
    Click Next
    neverwinter10.png

Select Wine 1.7.40
    Click Next
    neverwinter11.png

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    neverwinter12.png

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    neverwinter13.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "Emulate a virtual desktop"
    Desktop size: 1024x768
    Click OK
    neverwinter14.png

PlayOnLinux Packages (Libraries, Components, DLL's)

Check the following packages:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_d3dx9
    • POL_Install_tahoma
    Click Next
    neverwinter15.png

Note: All packages will automatically download and install

Installing Neverwinter

Click Browse
    neverwinter16.png

Navigate to the folder on your desktop
    Select "neverwinter_setup.exe"
    Click Open
    neverwinter17.png

Click Next again

Select language
    Click OK
    neverwinter19.png

Click Next
    neverwinter20.png

Click "I Agree"
    neverwinter21.png

Click Next
    neverwinter22.png

Uncheck "Create a desktop icon"
    Click Install
    neverwinter23.png

Uncheck "Launch Neverwinter"
    Click Finish
    neverwinter24.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select "Neverwinter.exe"
    Click Next
    neverwinter25.png

Name your shortcut: Neverwinter
    Click Next
    neverwinter26.png

Select "I don't want to make another shortcut"
    Click Next
    neverwinter27.png

PlayOnLinux Configure

Select Neverwinter
    Click Configure
    neverwinter28.png

General Tab
    Wine version: 1.7.40
    neverwinter29.png

Note: Click the + to download other versions of Wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine

Display Tab
    Video memory size: Enter the amount of memory your video card/chip uses
    neverwinter30.png

Close Configure

Launching Neverwinter

Select Neverwinter
    Click Run
    neverwinter31.png

Login with your account credentials
    neverwinter33.png

Neverwinter will begin downloading and patching
    In total the game is about 13 Gigabytes
    neverwinter34.png

Note: This process can take several hours depending on your internet speed

When its done downloading click PLAY
    neverwinter35.png

Long Cryptic loading screen
    At first launch, this Cryptic screen can literally take 15-20 minutes
    Please be patient and take a break
    neverwinter36.png

Sometimes the login will fail and end up at this login screen
    Enter your account credentials
    Click LOGIN
    neverwinter37.png

Once in game, select your character
    Click Enter World
    neverwinter38.png

Optimization

Click Options
    Click Graphics Tab

Adjust resolution to match your Linux desktop

Adjust:
    • Screen
    • Detail
    • Effects
    • Lights
    or

Use the Render Quality (Video Card) and Graphics Detail (CPU) sliders

Go to the Advanced tab for more settings
    Click OK or Apply
    neverwinter39.png

Note: When in-game, settings will automatically change on the screen

Conclusion:
    Neverwinter runs extremely well on my Geforce 550 Ti. I can turn almost all the graphical settings to high and still get a decent frame rate. This game is beautiful for an Online MMO and its best to play on a desktop with a modern graphics card.
    Normally when I first Enter World, there is a bit of lag as the level loads.

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    neverwinter80.jpg

neverwinter81.jpg

neverwinter83.jpg

neverwinter84.jpg

neverwinter87.jpg

neverwinter92.jpg

neverwinter95.jpg

neverwinter103.jpg

neverwinter150.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jul 2, 2013.

1. percelot
    Hi,
    Thank you for your guide.
    It's working for me, until the loading screen which comes just after "Cryptic". I'm stuck on it for more than 40min, and finally the game launches. Is there any method to reduce this so long time?
  2. booman
    Welcome to GamersOnLinux
    Yes, I had the same problem. For some reason it was faster over time, but I have never been able to pin-point why it takes so long to load the game.
    I has never been 40 minutes for me, more like 15 minutes. So it may be related to internet speed or processing.
    Please keep trying Neverwinter and let me know if the loading times eventually get better.
  3. percelot
    I think my config is guilty. I have such low frame rates, even with the lowest quality ever.. I should buy a new one, this laptop is too old for this...
  4. booman
    Probably, laptops really aren't geared for gaming. You can get away with some lightweight Facebook and Flash gaming, but once you get into heavy 3D games, your performance really suffers.
    There are some nice gaming laptops out there but they cost more than an amateur Desktop.
  5. steve723
    I had to reinstall STO 2 days ago and it loads in about 5 minutes. Its the same launcher used for Neverwinter so the two games should perform exactly the same. It sounds like your laptop just can't handle the load. I think your right about buying a new laptop. Sorry that reality sucks so much.
  6. booman
    Steve, did you ever have long loading times at the cryptic screen?
    I've seen it go for at least 10 minutes.
  7. gleep
    Didn't see if anyone mentioned this, but you can use the launcher to download cryptic's other games. On the launcher, click the Options link, then click "show other games". After restarting the launcher, you'll see the other games in a dropdown list near the bottom of the launcher (just above the progress bar when patching).
  8. booman
    I figured as much because now you can actually search for games. I havn't tried installing other games this way, but I have mentioned in the Star Trek Online guide that the Arc installation is the same as Neverwinter and you can install your game from there.
    Thanks for mention it.
  9. eFiggy
    Booman, thanks for the excellently written guide. Unfortunately there's something that I must be doing wrong because I keep getting crashes when launching Neverwinter. I can run Arc Games, install Neverwinter, but then I get a crash. I'm running Mint 17 RC 64-bit.

Has anyone had Neverwinter crash on them when they launch it? Based on the screenshot, is there anything I missed out on? I've redone the PlayOnLinux setup two or three times and run into this issue each time. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

10. booman
    Thanks for the compliment!
    I just updated to Mint 17 as well. I do have a few questions...
    1. Do you have the video drivers installed?
      - Intel HD Graphics
      - Nvidia GeForce
      - AMD
    2. Do you have the 32-bit libraries installed?
    Unfortunately Ubuntu 13 didn't include a single package for installing 32-bit libraries, so Mint 16 didn't either, but a developer provided them later on: ia32-libs
    You can search for them in the package manager, or use the Terminal.

I havn't tried yet because I did an upgrade via internet and ran a game real quick. The game ran fine, so I have a feeling the 32-bit libraries from Mint 16 are compatible with Mint 17.
    eFiggy likes this.
  11. eFiggy
    Lacking ia32-libs was the culprit. Thanks again, booman! Now to continue waiting at this loading screen. :)
  12. booman
    Ah, nice!
    So how did you install with Mint 17?
  13. eFiggy
    Other than forgetting the ia32-libs piece, I followed the guide exactly. The Arc Games client ran fine without me needing ia32-libs, but it wasn't until the game's launcher ran that I had issues.

Now that I'm past that, the only problem now is getting my lousy little AMD APU to play the game without locking up. Using the fglrx-updates driver that is given to me as an option in Mint 17. Going to play around with it some more and report back!
  14. booman
    Yes, Mint 17 should have an "additional drivers" tool that can install proprietary drivers for you. Sadly AMD is known for having a lot of problems. Nvidia is the way to go!
    Please post your updates... I love hearing how other people are finding success with Mint.
  15. DJLC1231
    Thanks for this guide. :) I'm glad you included screenshots as well since I was using a guide to do League of Legends and since I'm a newbie to Linux/Ubuntu I was like mega confused for the most part as I normally use Windows.

However after the Cryptic screen it seems to stick on the next loading screen. I know a user has mentioned this but its been like this for 44minutes and the whole thing has froze so I'm very tempted to hold down the power button :l I don't think it's the spec since I can run it on my Laptop which has worse specs then the pc. Maybe I need to update Ubuntu I don't know how to do that though :l

Awesome guide anyway!
  16. DJLC1231
    Hey, I'm just finished installing Mint 17 - Cinnamon but now it crashes after the cryptic screen (Error shown in screenshot) I've tried using the "fglrx-updates" video driver but it doesn't launch Neverwinter at all whereas the "xserver-xorg-video-ati" AMD/ATI display driver wapper just gives me the error I've mentioned.

Screenshot from 2014-06-09 08:44:35.png Screenshot from 2014-06-09 08:47:50.png
  17. DJLC1231
    So I think its to do with my drivers not being installed or something but again being unexperience with Linux/Mint I'm unable to install them/get them so could you do a step by step guide like very basic to install AMD drivers on Mint 17 please :)
  18. booman
    You tried the "fglrx" drivers correct? Don't use the "fglrx updates" driver.
    The "xserver" drivers are open-source and don't normally have performance of AMD's fglrx.
    But, sadly, I have read many reports of bugs and bad performance from AMD's drivers as well. Really sucks because how are gamers supposed to move to Linux smoothly when the drivers suck and their games don't launch?

I'm guessing you are using Mint 64-bit, make sure to install the 32-bit libraries for Mint.
    Try opening the synaptics package installer and search: ia32-libs
    If its there, install it. This make a huge difference in games because most game are only 32-bit compatible.

You did select a 32-bit virtual drive right?
    Try the above and report back here.
  19. DJLC1231
    Personally since this is a different computer I'm not all to sure what the graphics card is I mean according to System Info its [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]). I did select the 32-bit Virtual drive as well. Current rebooting after installing the ia32-libs. Should I be using the Fglrx drivers or xserver?
  20. DJLC1231
    Okay after testing it on the xserver it crashes after the cryptic load screen.